Lemoore, California

Iron Wolf

I am going to be down in Lemoore, CA from October 26th to November 7th on business. I'll be coming from Washington. Depending on my schedule I'm hoping to hit some Geocaches while I'm there. Can anyone recomend some good caches?

I like caches with some challenge. A well thought out multi cache would be nice. I also like caches that have some hiking involved. Although I grew up in the Bay Area, I have never spent much time in this area. I would like to visit some of your more memorable caches

I would love to hear from cachers in this area.

Iron Wolf

If you like hiking, try the 4 Colony Mill caches (GCB03 GCB04 GCB05 GCB06) in Sequoia NP. Also in Sequoia, GPS Challenge (GC1F26) is a wild cross country trek. (I've failed twice) Hike to the top of Little Baldy (GC9179) for a virtual cache. Muir Grove (GC135E) is another in the park. Entrance to the park will cost $10, unless you have a NP pass.

Others to try: Cache Out (GC523), How 'bout a hike?(GC94AA), Winchell Overlook (GC2AC6),

You're going to put some miles on the car to get near most of these, from Lemoore. But they are worth it.

For a close challenge, try The Bastille(GC4F06) in Hanford. I've stumped a few people with it.

Man, Iron Wolf. You must have really ticked someone off at your company to get sent to Lemoore, CA. :D The nearest organized cachers that I know to there is the Merced Area Cachers (MAC). They hang out on the CVC Forum thread because their our Southern Kin. I'm sure they've been closer to Lemoore, CA than most anyone. They're also a fun group so feel free to jump over that say hi on the thread. :D

I do like some of redwood canoe's caches but he has so many that maintenance becomes an issue. Right now I'm trying to get some approved on NAS Lemoore. Some parts are public accessible 24/7. Would you folk like to see some on the base?

:rolleyes: Cool John is going to Lemoore in Sept for a Change of Command. But how the heck are you gonna get those approved? How can you tell on base from off base?

I do like some of redwood canoe's caches but he has so many that maintenance becomes an issue. Right now I'm trying to get some approved on NAS Lemoore. Some parts are public accessible 24/7. Would you folk like to see some on the base?

:blink: Cool John is going to Lemoore in Sept for a Change of Command. But how the heck are you gonna get those approved? How can you tell on base from off base?

There are only two areas of the base gated off that require a military ID to enter. And there are farms all in between those two areas, even the San Joaquin (SP?) Valley Rod and Gun Club is "on" NAS Lemoore. I've already drafted up a special request to submit to my supervisors hitting on the positive points of why it would be good for everyone. I would never place a cache that would get someone in trouble or be a threat to the base.

Edited by JohnE5

Do other cachers in this area feel that there have been a a lot of caches popping up just for the sake of placing a cache?

In my opinon a cache should be placed to point out a landmark or something interesting. If placing a cache in a un-remarkable area at least the cache container should be well thought out and interesting.

To have a bad location and a bad container really ruins it for me and I find that I have become bored. Don't get me wrong I have found a few GREAT caches here. Just seems like more bad than good.

Do other cachers in this area feel that there have been a a lot of caches popping up just for the sake of placing a cache?

In my opinon a cache should be placed to point out a landmark or something interesting. If placing a cache in a un-remarkable area at least the cache container should be well thought out and interesting.

To have a bad location and a bad container really ruins it for me and I find that I have become bored. Don't get me wrong I have found a few GREAT caches here. Just seems like more bad than good.

Anyone in Lemoore/ Hanford area interested in an Event Cache? I've never gone to one much less hosted one. What usually happens at them? Does everyone in this area already know everyone else but me?

John,

I will be in Lemoore the end of June/first of July to visit my son. I had thought about hosting an event while I'm there.

If you would like to find a place in Lemoore/Hanford that would be willing to host us....I'd be willing to help out.

I'd like to meet some of the Lemoore cachers. I've already met Scooterman when I was out there in August.

Coleen/The Wild Road

Oxford, Ohio

We were only in Lemoore for a month to house-sit for Team Member T while she was on the boat, But I did notice the abundance of Un-Inspired Micros, Mostly in store parking lots or along side busy roads.

We did enjoy most of the caches, But some of them were left us thinking why bother.

We'll be back in March hopefully, Maybe we can get all the ones we missed.

Is any one planning on listing new caches soon? I'm going stir crazy here! It would be nice if someone took a shot at a multi or made a call for an Event Cache.

John~

Are you up for hosting an event? Where in Lemoore would be a good place to meet? Any restaurant with free wifi, good seating & good food? Any park area with picnic benches - a good place for a potluck?

Once I find out when I'm coming out in June/July- I'd be happy to host an event- but then it doesn't help you now.

I'm hosting one in Ohio Mar 21 at a family diner that hasn't changed in over 50 years- except they're adding free wifi. Lots of events in the Hamilton/Cincinnati Ohio are in "Panera Bread" restaurants- they have community rooms and free wifi.

I don't want to impede on anyone's event cache. I don't really want to host the first one I ever attend eighter. I have a mind to make a CITO March 14 at Hickey Park. My company is asking for volunteers for a clean up there and I think a few cachers will come out. Will you guys and gals comeout?

Hey John, my husband and I live in Hanford and he is an officer out the base in Lemoore. We really enjoy caching and my husband is really getting into placing caches. I have to admit... he has had a few creative ones =) There is one he has done that he has yet to place, it's clever! Unfortunately, they are all micros.

We started caching in his home state of Oklahoma and there were NEVER micros there, they were always full sized finds and beautiful undisturbed hikes. It was disappointing to come back revved up to go and find NO normal sized, in good shape, with decent swag, containers. I do find that coming up with a place for a larger container that wont get bothered would be difficult. I have gotten really into finding RWC's though! Even though they are micros, some of them had me searching =)

We would love to go to a caching event. I have been talking to my husband about it. I just wish there was one semi-close. Paso Robles would be a great get away and a little wine tasting to follow could never hurt!

E-mail us if interested in getting together for some caching!

Pegasus3 & Dirtpilot

Hey John, my husband and I live in Hanford and he is an officer out the base in Lemoore. We really enjoy caching and my husband is really getting into placing caches. I have to admit... he has had a few creative ones =) There is one he has done that he has yet to place, it's clever! Unfortunately, they are all micros.

We started caching in his home state of Oklahoma and there were NEVER micros there, they were always full sized finds and beautiful undisturbed hikes. It was disappointing to come back revved up to go and find NO normal sized, in good shape, with decent swag, containers. I do find that coming up with a place for a larger container that wont get bothered would be difficult. I have gotten really into finding RWC's though! Even though they are micros, some of them had me searching =)

We would love to go to a caching event. I have been talking to my husband about it. I just wish there was one semi-close. Paso Robles would be a great get away and a little wine tasting to follow could never hurt!

E-mail us if interested in getting together for some caching!

Pegasus3 & Dirtpilot

I've published this CITO event for March 14th. GC1N0WW

Please come out if you can.

I am thinking of making a breeder/seeder cache in the Lemoore area. It would be an Unknown type cache that would require the finder to place a cache in this area and include the geocache code number "GCXXXX" to log the find. The coordinates would not be hidden or in any type of a puzzle. My reasoning is that some people spend a lot of time on puzzle caches anyway, why not spend that time and thought into placing a good cache? I know it might encourage bad cachers to hide poorly constucted nanos under a lamp post. But on the other hand it might be the boost some people need to place their first cache. I'm tired of the same 3 or 4 people placing around here. What are your thoughts on this?

What is with all the micros were a small or medium or even a large could be hidden? Am I the only one that thinks larger caches are more fun to find? They even challenge the way I hide. I find pride in reading a log that some one looked directly at a regular sized cache 3 times before realizing it. Let me know what you think.

As you all know, it is my goal to place an even number all types of caches in Lemoore. My goal; 8 traditionals, 8 puzzle, 8 multi's, 8 letterbox. (Earthcaches would not be possible.)

I now can build Wherigo cartridges. Can anyone in there area play Wherigo? Of course I will make the first on really simple, as Wherigo can be very complicated.

Let me know. Hope to see you all at the event this Saturday.

-John