ETrex 30x pocket query gets loaded as parking and waypoints, not caches

See title. Currently preparing a trip. I've not updated the GPS firmware. All caches from a pocket query suddenly get loaded as waypoints/parking coords and not as caches anymore. Anyone know what's going on? Did GS mess with pocket queries, and how can I fix this problem quickly?

I have all caches in a bookmark list, in cachly as well, and I have GSAK where the caches are not loaded into yet. I guess going via either cachly (if it has a .gpx export) or via gsak is the way to go. Not sure how to create a .gpx cache and parking file in GSAK. Pointers please :)

Ok, I managed to get everything via GSAK via the pocket query import. Phew. Ok.. so basically

loading the pocket query into GSAK gives me the caches and additional wps/parking coords. From there I can export it as .gpx

loading the pocket query directly from geocaching results in all caches displayed as wps.

That's odd. Can someone test whether that's a bug on my site, or on geocachings? I don't want to file a bug report just yet.

Edited by terratin
33 minutes ago, terratin said:

Can someone test whether that's a bug on my site, or on geocachings? I don't want to file a bug report just yet.

I tried loading a Pocket Query GPX file just now, to my Garmin Oregon.  It worked without issue.  Maybe it was a temporary thing.

No, I was loading both, as usual. I loaded a pocket query on the GPS at the end of June last, and all worked. Now I got all caches as wps, and the cache folder on the GPS was empty. I deleted everything and reloaded, but same result. Going via GSAK and exporting the database as .gpx worked. Seriously odd!

Hmmmm, I'm wondering now if this isn't the same thing that happened with my Etrex 30x on a recent camping trip....

I was teaching a group of 5 scouts the geocaching merit badge, and had borrowed a friend's older Garmin Dakota so we'd have two similar GPSr devices, as well as my phone.  I created a PQ of the area, loaded it to both devices (Dakota 10 and Etrex 30x), and also had the list on my phone downloaded for offline use.

Once we got on site at the campground (no internet, we were off the grid for a few days!), I fired up both GPSr's; the Dakota had all the nearby caches, my Etrex was not showing anything nearby.  Both the GPX and the waypoints files were loaded, and maybe the waypoints were showing but I didn't even think of that...I just knw the caches themselves were not showing.  It did give us practice in entering coordinates to the Etrex instead of just hitting the GO button, but I could not figure out why the caches were not showing up when I loaded identical files to both devices.  

Maybe something to do with the Etrex 30x?  The Dakota worked as expected...

Edited by CAVinoGal
2 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

The eTrex 20, 30, x0x, and x2x can index a maximum of 5k geocaches, perhaps older geocaches had not been removed and this hard limit had been exceeded?

I don't think so - although I had totally cleared the borrowed Dakota, my Etrex had my "unfound" local caches (about 600) and the camping PQ only, well under 5K, proabably closer to 1000 caches total loaded.  Whatever, we managed to work around it, and it actually was a teaching opportunity; the scouts got some more experience manually entering coordinates and sharing information.  It just seems coincidental that terratin would have a similar issue with the same device at the same time....I had to comment!!

4 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

The eTrex 20, 30, x0x, and x2x can index a maximum of 5k geocaches, perhaps older geocaches had not been removed and this hard limit had been exceeded?

No, not in my case. I don't use the GPS very often, and when I do I delete the old files as there are often 100s, if not more km between batches of caches. It just gets too confusing.

22 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

The 'teaching moment' was good.

What firmware version? I am going to try to recreate on my eTrex.

:D

Good one. How do I see the firmware? I bought it second-hand and never updated the firmware. I suppose the previous owner didn't either as they sold it because it was too complicated for them :antenna:

Well, 3.00 is the most current firmware for this device, so nothing for you to do there!

I loaded your PQ files directly to my eTrex 30x and rebooted, and found that all geocaches and child waypoints appear to load just fine:

561.png.43e71fb10d03e43698536dcc5bb73997.png   565.png.673cf0ad655c8c37f1995d71da25472f.png   574.png.6cc172cb67980071a92519f45bf882d3.png

Only difference is that I do not have a microSD card in this GPSr, so I loaded them to internal memory. Possibly your microSD card has an issue and that prevented your eTrex 30x from reading the file properly?

1 hour ago, Atlas Cached said:

Only difference is that I do not have a microSD card in this GPSr, so I loaded them to internal memory. Possibly your microSD card has an issue and that prevented your eTrex 30x from reading the file properly?

I considered that the SD card might possibly be at issue, although it has worked just fine prior to this; I've got maps on the internal memory and anways load the caches to the SD card.

Thanks for looking into this - we did manage to get all we needed to do accomplished, so it's all good.  I won't always have a 2nd GPSr as a backup when I am out caching on my own though; I'll clear all the caches and see what happens next time I load a PQ!

Edited by CAVinoGal

The same thing is happening with my Oregon 700, whether I click on the send to Garmin in the actual cache page or if I download a pocket query. They are going  onto my gps as waypoints.

So I cleared out the waypoints on the GPS, downloaded the PQ and made sure to highlight both files and then clicked extract all on my Computer. I selected the Garmin, GPX folder, everything has still downloaded to my waypoints.

So I spoke with Garmin this afternoon and they suggested that I use Basecamp so I downloaded and put in a local cache and then sent it to my GPS, nope still only on as a waypoint file.

Edited by TheOfford4
5 hours ago, TheOfford4 said:

The same thing is happening with my Oregon 700, whether I click on the send to Garmin in the actual cache page or if I download a pocket query. They are going  onto my gps as waypoints.

So I cleared out the waypoints on the GPS, downloaded the PQ and made sure to highlight both files and then clicked extract all on my Computer. I selected the Garmin, GPX folder, everything has still downloaded to my waypoints.

So I spoke with Garmin this afternoon and they suggested that I use Basecamp so I downloaded and put in a local cache and then sent it to my GPS, nope still only on as a waypoint file.

I have an Oregon 700, so I can test things, but so far caches are loading just fine.  This is a device that can load Pocket Queries directly over WiFi, so that’s another thing to try.

But I wonder if it’s a database thing.  Similar to the old issue with basic members becoming PM, where the GPS still displays all caches in “basic member” format.  I don’t know why it affected different models of GPS whether updated or not, unless it was a temporary glitch in a GPX file.  The fact that it’s happened to people all at once is a clue.

If the SQL data was corrupted, maybe deleting that folder will fix it.

I am tearing my hair out over this, been onto Garmin three times today and they have suggested various fixes but nothing is working, at what point do I think its the GPS and not the files itself. Interestingly I plugged my old Dakota 10 back in this afternoon and clicked 'send to Garmin' direct from the cache page on Geocaching.com and it worked perfectly pity the same thing is not working for the Oregon.

How do I try loading over Wifi?

Also downloaded Pocket query and list and they have both gone on to the Dakota fine, what is wrong or what have I done to the Oregon.

Edited by TheOfford4
27 minutes ago, TheOfford4 said:

I am tearing my hair out over this, been onto Garmin three times today and they have suggested various fixes but nothing is working, at what point do I think its the GPS and not the files itself. Interestingly I plugged my old Dakota 10 back in this afternoon and clicked 'send to Garmin' direct from the cache page on Geocaching.com and it worked perfectly pity the same thing is not working for the Oregon.

How do I try loading over Wifi?

Here's a page with pictures:  https://www.gpsrchive.com/Oregon 7x0/index.htm

There's a link in the menu to the right that shows how to get "Lists".  I didn't immediately see the steps for PQs specifically, but I can post the steps if you cant find them.  I almost always load by USB.

I loaded two large PQs to my Oregon 750 just now, unzipped via USB without issue.  It works fine as always.  So the good news is, once you get it working, it seems to be fine.

Thanks for that, I also connect via USB and then download and extract to the GPS file in Garmin but its only showing as waypoints and parking co-ords, no actual geocaches. As its working as it should with my Dakota 10 I am beginning to think there is something wrong with the GPS - it really shouldn't be this complicated.

I may have to look into sending it back.

I may have solved it Ku

Thank you for the link to GPSRchive, I skimmed over anything that might look promising and one thing caught my eye - Filters.

I went into filters in Geocaching and selected the  show all filter and tada they are now showing up,  have no idea what happened previously as I don't remember going into this in the first place to have altered anything but it seems to have done the trick.

7 hours ago, TheOfford4 said:

I may have solved it Ku

Thank you for the link to GPSRchive, I skimmed over anything that might look promising and one thing caught my eye - Filters.

I went into filters in Geocaching and selected the  show all filter and tada they are now showing up,  have no idea what happened previously as I don't remember going into this in the first place to have altered anything but it seems to have done the trick.

Even better!

That scenario is covered at GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > FAQ 38

Edited by Atlas Cached
added FAQ reference
1 hour ago, TheOfford4 said:

I may have solved it Ku

That’s great news!  :D