STEALING CACHES

TEAM 360

Well, my LOST ARK cache has gone missing...I had it on top of a mountain which required a 3 hour hike up, with no trails, so I can only assume that a park ranger or deranged anti-geocacher has taken it...however, I will replace it at a new location and make it a little harder to get the exact coordinates next time...GEOCACHERS BEWARE! THE GEOCACHER THIEF IS ON THE LOOSE IN THE PHOENIX AREA!

"Geocacher thief" might not be the appropriate term to use there. My guess is that when caches come up missing, it is the work of someone who happens upon them and decides to take them. When you place a cache in a public place, non-cachers are going to come across it. Also, you have to remember that each and every time someone visits a cache, attention is called to that spot, thus making it more likely that it will be checked out by others.

As for the cache on the hilltop that is missing, that could also be the work of an animal or, as already mentioned, a park ranger.

It is just my opinion that most of the missing caches are not the result of rogue cachers!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

"What a fine thing it is to have an intellect, and room enough in the seat of your breeches to hold it."

quote:
Originally posted by JaimeeG:

It is just my opinion that most of the missing caches are not the result of rogue cachers!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

I would agree with you Jaimee. Although still relatively new at this (geocaching), I have learned that the people who do participate are of fairly good caliber. Not likely that a fellow cacher is stealing caches. Very likely that people who stumble upon them, or see someone hunting them might take the cache. That just means we have to be creative in how we hide them. Right?

It seems that even creativity doesn't help in some cases. The caches that seem to be the safest are micros. Most of my regular size caches have disappeared, and they were in places that I really figured were safe..oh well!

Jaimee

"What a fine thing it is to have an intellect, and room enough in the seat of your breeches to hold it."

Well Jeff that is the last one I would think would go Missing... I am actually glad I jumped in here today I was going to plan on going out this weekend and killing myself on the hike to the Lost Ark..after talking to you at the Event Cache last weekend it sounded like a great test. I will look to see if you place a new one...

This is all part of the sport and the fun...don’t think of it as stealing but rather a challenge to you to do a better job with the next one. If some non cacher comes upon your hide, you almost expect them to mess with it. So you hide another one, a "better one". There is nothing more to this topic than discussing why there are penalties in football. It is just part of the game. It may suck sometimes, but it is part of the game!

[This message was edited by B&K&A on April 19, 2003 at 02:38 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

...so I can only assume that a park ranger or deranged anti-geocacher has taken it...

The flesh would say ''ride a motorcycle back up there to replace it.'' The mind would say ''No, post that you replaced it and make Mr.Range hike up there again for nothing.'' But the heart would say ''Make it a VIRTUAL and then Mr.Ranger will have to confront you - and confess he's a theif.'' icon_biggrin.gif

It's really too bad the people we entrust with our parks, try to keep us out from enjoying them. You'd think they'd be delighted that more people are getting out to enjoy the area (and paying those parking/use fees).

I do like to see a container when hunting, but taking me to a wonderful location is better. Make it a virtual and don't let anyone steal your joy!

Bill of Green Achers

"There is nothing wrong with Southern California that a sudden rise in ocean level wouldn't cure." Ross McDonald

39570_500.jpg

I am new to Geocaching and was looking through caches in my area and noticed that many were intentionally stolen! (See member Cache_Pirate). I'm appalled! This is such a great family activiy and some sicko has to go and spoil it!

Team BKAJ

So far, I haven't heard if anyone has checked on their caches after his plunders to see if they are really missing or if that is just his way of logging the cache. Regardless, the Arizona geocaching community has been alerted to the possible threat. Take heart bkaj, this sicko won't spoil geocaching.

Geocaching is a great family activity. We hope to see you on the trail.

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

quote:
Originally posted by Highpointer:

_Warning_: There is a http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=121309 icon_mad.gif on the loose in the Phoenix metropolitan area.

On Saturday, May 3, he plundered nine caches icon_frown.gif. He took everything out of the caches except for the logbook. He wrote a skull and crossbones on the page in which he signed the log.

icon_biggrin.gif _Ken Akerman_ icon_eek.gif (a.k.a. __Highpointer__) icon_razz.gif

I'm sure Jeremy has a log of the IPs this guy is using and could possibly either match it up to another account, or perhaps just suspend/ban the account (if if static, the IP address).

Sorry to hear that you folks in AZ are having to deal with this.

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

quote:
Originally posted by elmo-fried:

I'm sure Jeremy has a log of the IPs this guy is using and could possibly either match it up to another account, or perhaps just suspend/ban the account (if if static, the IP address).

Q. If you take away his account, does that mean he'll stop looking at cache locations?

A. No. Loosing an account, and even loosing the ability to access Geocaching can't stop this punk. He needs to be tracked down and prosecuted. Set him up.

Do I see two user names that he has so far? (ID #121309 and 122054). I think we need the Rat to profile this kid.

Bill of Green Achers

"The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese" Author unknown.

39570_500.jpg

Ops, Cache_Pirate is claiming to be more of a Robin_Hood.

quote:
 May 5 by Capt Mad Mortey McVane |cache_pirate| (0 found)

Capt Mad Mortey McVane here, as with all caches I have plundered and will plunder in the future. I take and bag/tag only the contents to be placed at another location for another cacher to find replaced at the original cache by the finder. Capt Mad Mortey McVane does not EVER remove the container or logbook.

This quote from one of his victim caches. I still think he's a jerk. I like new ideas but this one is a loser (IMHO). All his logs should be deleted.

Bill of Green Achers

"The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese" Author unknown.

39570_500.jpg

The other thread on this topic is here.

No one seems to care that one nice cache was archived because of his activity. Some just keep saying it's a new spin on the game, albeit a poorly received one. I think his intentions should have been made clear from the beginning. All he did was tick off a lot of people.

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

The only reason this guy changed his profile and tried to backpedal on what he was doing is because a lot of people down here in AZ are really pissed with him. I'm not buying his "new game" twist. He hit 8 or 9 caches and has YET to put back even ONE item, which he SAYS he will do. It won't happen, it's just a cover story to placate some cache owners that have been ripped off. I was the last one to see the Snowboarding with Jack travel bug this guy stole from one of the caches he hit. I feel badly that someone is going to lose their TB now. And I feel even worse for the cachers who had their trade items STOLEN. He's a THIEF, plain and simple. I have a lot of pent-up frustration from the whole thing, add to that the fact I lost my job and my bills are piling up, the truck isn't running right and is about to get re-po'd. I would love to run into this clown and take some very-needed batting practice to let this stress out.....

Put the bat down. We're feeling for your frustrations and share the same conserns over this punk. The guy deserves a fair trial. Then he should get his buH kicked.

It is possible that he's just made a really stupid choice but has no intention on keeping the travel bugs (and all the other items) he riped off. However, even if he does return everything [i'm not holding my breath], how is he going to return our joy?

I think he better go out and get a pair of tights on and change his name - if he's going to play Robin_Hood. But no, his name is pirate. [i think pirates wore tights too].

Bill of Green Achers

39570_500.jpg