Using two phones to log finds

Sceffi

Issue: I have two different phones I hunt with using the same account (because my kids and I hunt together and one of them has a phone). When we log a find, it only shows up As found (a smiley face) on the phone that logged it. In my account online, they all show as smiley faces/found. Is there a way to sink my account so that both phones show my find?  And how do I make both show as found going forward?  Anyone have any idea?

edit::: as soon as I posted, I realized I could delete the app and reload it. That synced my account. Now I just need to know if there is another way to sync them while I’m out without deleting the app. 

And thanks!!!

Edited by Sceffi
28 minutes ago, Sceffi said:

edit::: as soon as I posted, I realized I could delete the app and reload it. That synced my account.

That's way too much work just so the smiley shows up on both phones. Is there a reason there's such a rush to see it?

There's two people on my account and we each sometimes use the phone while hunting. I can't imagine wanting to delete the app and reload it just so the smiley shows up.

@RuideAlmeida has a much easier solution. 

Hi,

very important: do NOT use your phone to log the finds. Wait until you are at home and then use a computer with a real keyboard and take your time to write some nice sentences about the cache hunt.

Don't forget that the owners are real people and they give effort, time and money to hide a cache for you. So you should give them feedback and that's almost impossible if you log them with your phone (directly in the field).

Just a thumbs up smiley like in your last log (https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=f09293e5-f840-47a0-8d28-3a2e8bd3da6a, I didn't watch the ones before) is very diappointing for any owner. Logging is part of the game and a smiley is not a log.

Jochen

• Upvote 5
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1

So I don’t know which screen in the app you’re looking at, but almost everything except the map (e.g. your profile screen, a bookmark list, or an individual cache page...) can all by reloaded by swiping down. On the map screen you could move to a different area so the app loads the caches there and forgets the one’s you were watching.

Force closing the app should also work. But caches logged somewhere else than in the app should absolutely sync to the app without needing to delete the app or log out.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, mustakorppi said:

On the map screen you could move to a different area so the app loads the caches there and forgets the one’s you were watching.

That's what I've done when I wanted to see the smileys in the area I've been hunting. Zoom out, zoom in on another city / area so it loads those caches, then zoom out / back in to where you are and it should re-load the local caches (and those sweet, sweet smileys).

On 4/3/2021 at 2:05 PM, frostengel said:

very important: do NOT use your phone to log the finds.

That's funny, I seem to be able to log from the field just fine. With multiple sentences and everything. And when I do it right after finding the cache, I find I remember a lot more than I used to when I'd just scrawl down a cryptic note and then try to recall which cache that was when I got back home.

I realize you're more chiding the OP than phone users in general, and I agree that an emoji does not a satisfying log make, but you're off topic.

On 4/3/2021 at 1:05 PM, Sceffi said:

Is there a way to sink my account so that both phones show my find?

My phone doesn't always show a cache as found after I log it, since I use my browser to log and not the app. I know with the Android app, if you drag the screen down when on the cache description, it will reload the cache details and update the activity on the cache - this should include the "found it" log you just left.

7 hours ago, hzoi said:

I seem to be able to log from the field just fine. With multiple sentences and everything.

So perhaps you are. And if you wrote this log (https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=f67c55b1-2757-485f-b46f-dafb7f841527) via phone I am deeply impressed - even using capital letters. Wow.

I wouldn't be able to (I hate to log any lab cache via smartphone but there is no alternative) and > 90 percent of the phone loggers aren't. Or they are able but they don't want to.

Just an example of the logging stats of a phone logger in my area:

grafik.png.03e901a7aa4131032171b69160048457.png

This person has more than 842 founds so the ration of words per log is less than 1/2 "word" per log (word = smiley in most cases; about 3 signs per log!).

That's just a kick in the butt for every owner. Nothing more.

So there may be people who are able and willing to write normal logs with their phone (you are, respect again!) but most aren't. And in the posted case I am sure that this is an automated algorithm who always sends the same smiley for the last several hundred logs.

If you see that's as offtopic I am sorry. Someone asks about logging problems with the phone, I will tell them just don't do it. If they log their finds at home using their PC they won't have any problems, so problem solved?!

Best wishes

Jochen

25 minutes ago, frostengel said:

If they log their finds at home using their PC they won't have any problems, so problem solved?!

Until this happens?

Found itFound it

AMAZING walk, really enjoyable and just what I needed whilst sitting at home with nothing to do on a beautiful friday

I had a long, detailed log written up but just before I went to submit the entry I accidentally closed the tab and really can't be bothered typing it up again :( sorry

TFTC

• Funny 2
On 4/20/2021 at 3:21 PM, david&diana said:

If you accidently close a window, enter CTRL/SHIFT/T to get it back.

It doesn't get a log back, though. Just reloads the logging screen, with a big blank box where the log used to be.

On 4/20/2021 at 3:38 AM, frostengel said:

And if you wrote this log (https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=f67c55b1-2757-485f-b46f-dafb7f841527) via phone I am deeply impressed - even using capital letters. Wow.

I did indeed, as we walked from the cache. The space bar on my phone is annoyingly small, so often my thumb will type a period where a space would be. I am about to upgrade to a 5G phone, so perhaps that'll improve. That,' or I just need to use voice to type more often. Though I feel self conscious doing so, especially if I am caching solo - oh, what's that middle aged man doing on the path by himself? Oh, just mumbling some manifesto into his phone.

• Funny 1