Jump to content

coming back


Misty4me
Followers 1

Recommended Posts

I haven't used my Oregon 550 in 5 years, since we've just been casually last minute caching with our phones.  I'd like to load it up, but cannot for the life of me remember how it was done.  Which file do I move the gpx files into?

Link to comment

ok, well, that didn't work. hmmm  Why can't I remember this or figure out where the instructions are where I learned how to do it in the first place? I think there was another computer program involved at first, then  later on geocaching would just beam the caches to my device through the cable.  PFM at its finest!

Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Misty4me said:

ok, well, that didn't work.

 

What did you do?

 

Only GPX files in the /Garmin/GPX/ directory will be read and indexed by the GPSr.

 

There are limits to how many, so if you still have older files, you may have to remove some before the newer files can be indexed.

Link to comment
9 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

 

What did you do?

 

Only GPX files in the /Garmin/GPX/ directory will be read and indexed by the GPSr.

 

There are limits to how many, so if you still have older files, you may have to remove some before the newer files can be indexed.

I downloaded and then dragged them over, but they aren't there.  I did remove a bunch of old ones.  my receiver is 75% full, mostly pictures.  I had a link on one page to just send to GPSr, so I clicked on it and it said I needed Garmin Explorer.  That's it!  I've a new computer since then.  So I downloaded and installed that. Now can I find how I got that "send to GPSr" link? Noooooo  Starting to think there really are not benefits over using my phone anyway. 

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Misty4me said:

I downloaded and then dragged them over, but they aren't there.  I did remove a bunch of old ones.  my receiver is 75% full, mostly pictures.  I had a link on one page to just send to GPSr, so I clicked on it and it said I needed Garmin Explorer.  That's it!  I've a new computer since then.  So I downloaded and installed that. Now can I find how I got that "send to GPSr" link? Noooooo  Starting to think there really are not benefits over using my phone anyway. 

 

Are you talking about the Send to GPS function that was canned back in 2018 ?       Thanks.  :)

Link to comment
20 minutes ago, Misty4me said:

I downloaded and then dragged them over, but they aren't there.  I did remove a bunch of old ones.  my receiver is 75% full, mostly pictures.  I had a link on one page to just send to GPSr, so I clicked on it and it said I needed Garmin Explorer.  That's it!  I've a new computer since then.  So I downloaded and installed that. Now can I find how I got that "send to GPSr" link? Noooooo  Starting to think there really are not benefits over using my phone anyway. 

I either get a .loc file or a zip file 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Misty4me said:

I either get a .loc file or a zip file 

 

Are you getting files that are NOT "GPX" files?  In the OP, you said you had GPX files.  ZIP files and LOC files aren't gonna work.

 

You can download a cache GPX file from a cache page directly to the Garmin/GPX folder.  Or download a Zipped "Pocket Query" file, unzip it first and put those GPX files into Garmin/GPX.

 

Or set up Garmin Express (you need it for updates anyway).  Then you can use the Send To Garmin button found in several places on the site, to send one cache file, or a whole "List":

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=138&pgid=827

 

Edited by kunarion
Link to comment
On 3/25/2021 at 10:37 PM, kunarion said:

 

Are you getting files that are NOT "GPX" files?  In the OP, you said you had GPX files.  ZIP files and LOC files aren't gonna work.

 

You can download a cache GPX file from a cache page directly to the Garmin/GPX folder.  Or download a Zipped "Pocket Query" file, unzip it first and put those GPX files into Garmin/GPX.

 

Or set up Garmin Express (you need it for updates anyway).  Then you can use the Send To Garmin button found in several places on the site, to send one cache file, or a whole "List":

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=138&pgid=827

 

I really have no idea anymore!  I figured out the zips, but idk what .loc are. 

 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Misty4me said:

I really have no idea anymore!  I figured out the zips, but idk what .loc are. 

 


Don’t even mess with LOC files unless you have a specific need for them.  Unzip Pocket Query GPX files, or download individual cache GPX files.  Put them into the Garmin/GPX folder of the Garmin GPS.

 

With GSAK, things can be a little more automated, once you’re familiar with it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 1
×
×
  • Create New...