Hiding a Geocache with an iphone 11

14 minutes ago, johnny2154 said:

Can someone tell me the best way to see the coordinates on an iphone 11 when I'm hiding a cache?  It's been awhile since I hid a cache with my phone, Thanks in advance

If you use the official app by instance, simply add your desired coords as a waypoint when navigating to any existing cache. Later use this waypoint for your new cache... but you always need to create any cache on the website, not on the app.

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, johnny2154 said:

Can someone tell me the best way to see the coordinates on an iphone 11 when I'm hiding a cache?  It's been awhile since I hid a cache with my phone, Thanks in advance

Navigate to any cache, using the compass, and it will show you your current coordinates. 

2 hours ago, RuideAlmeida said:

but you always need to create any cache on the website, not on the app.

When hiding a cache, one has to retrieve the coordinates somehow.

There are several apps for GPS averaging for the iPhone, which is your best method for getting good coordinates without a dedicated GPS receiver.

Depending on the app or model, "averaging" is already done in the background. But many people may still 'circle' around the location on foot for that extra level of comfort. Some apps will accomplish averaging as well, which is essentially just forcing more of what's already been done.

Some apps may not re-query the GPS unless it thinks you're moving, or moving a certain amount, or make the GPS queries at slower rates - that can be to save battery.  There could be a number of intricacies to the method and speed at which a smartphone seems to get accurate coordinates, and primarily it has to do with whatever app is being used.  I've found that Cachly does an excellent job now at providing reasonable GPS coordinates, but it also has a 'high power' mode which essentially prioritizing GPS reception over all else within the app. Cachly is really only limited by the iphone/pad model for GPS capability.

eta: I can't remember where the discussion was that talked about all this; it was some time ago. But here's one that touches on it a bit in the cachly forum.

Edited by thebruce0