Release Notes (Website: Bulk add GC codes to Lists) - July 29, 2020

Release Notes (Website: Bulk add GC codes to Lists) - July 29, 2020

With our latest release, we’ve made an improvement on the List Hub. You can now bulk add GC codes to a List.

1. Visit any of your own List Details pages and select the icon to add to your List.

Iy9uik6X5iu4R2Pt3bd2nFGmIV1vxxLHcDtGh6IG

2. Select “Add bulk GC codes”

XqJ3429FFNQBF3Ocag9Is2QEFTMWbk0DqSJLQRPO

3. Paste or type GC codes into the modal, separated by a comma. You may add up to 1000 geocaches per List.  

MfbPgT4t7ngMQiX2uFK1ypRoEvawgZCCmWbKem0j

Erin (Oceansazul), Associate Product Manager, is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 4
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, TmdAndGG said:

Wow, this seems like it will be incredibly useful to me! Thanks HQ!

Can you explain? There are a few places I'd love to have better bulk handling with lists, so anything in that direction is welcome, but I can't think of a single case where I'd have a list of GC codes to copy as text.

I'm also wondering why there's a second level. Why not just accept a list of geocaches in the "Add geocache to list" box without making the user click on "Add bulk GC codes" first?

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 1
17 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

Me too I am failing to see when I would use that feature.

Found strange that you are requiring a comma between each GC code. Wasn't possible to accept just a space between code?

Let's think about readings blogs or other geocache stories mentioning caches with given codes in the text. Clipping those codes to a list and bulk adding them to a BM list makes sense.

The comma is used as the API does internally work that way. HQ seems to avoid creating multiple ways to skin the cat. I consider that as pretty useful.

• Upvote 1

I really don't know why HQ created this option, while HQ doesn't supply us with a option/tool to create a list with gc-codes in text form.

Does HQ want us to send the cache-files as text to each other?

What strategy HQ uses ( if any ? ) for the use of 'Lists', I don't know. But why not use the same for the Ignore-List? All the other lists have extra functions, but the Ignore-List has just 2 options: Add or Delete. You can delete a selection ( = bulk ) from the list, but add only one cache a time. Is there a HQ strategy: HQ doesn't like if members Ignore caches?

Edited by LinkaLovers
  • Upvote 1

It really doesn't make sense to switch between a single GC code and a GC code list
It would also be more useful if you only needed a space instead of a comma.
I never got a GC code list and never missed this feature, but I've heard that someone needs these features.

• Upvote 1

To me it seems easier to copy and paste a GC code from a cache than to wait until it loads and press the "Add geocache to list" button, and then select which list I want to add it to. I think it just makes bulk adding caches to a list a little easier.

18 hours ago, HHL said:

I use a GSAK macro (click here) and Groundspeak's API to bulk upload caches to the Ignore List.

Hans

Thanks Hans.

I use the standard option in GSAK and that's fine for me. 

It's just strange, that HQ slims down the GSAK option(s) and encourage the new lists text-option ( which is almost the same ). While nobody uses text-based cache lists.

Edited by LinkaLovers
  • Upvote 1

Great idea! I use Excel to keep a database of certain caches, which I currently convert to lists using VGPS (virtual GPS) on Project GC. I can select a column of GC codes, bulk add these to VGPS and export it from there to a blank list. Cutting out VGPS and doing it directly would save a lot of time, though I'll have to create a new column with GC codes followed by commas (unless it's changed to allow spaces as well as others have suggested).