Getting FPs on a Cache

This sounds like a dumb question in my head, but I'm not able to find an answer anywhere. I'm going to be placing my first geocache soon, so my head is racing with all sorts of different questions and ideas. One of these was about favorite points. If somebody awards my cache a favorite point, do I receive a favorite point to give to another cache? My gut is saying no, since that would cause an infinitely growing number of favorite points, even ignoring the fact that you are awarded one for every ten finds. But then again, I could be wrong in that assumption

3 minutes ago, pixelteer425 said:

This sounds like a dumb question in my head, but I'm not able to find an answer anywhere. I'm going to be placing my first geocache soon, so my head is racing with all sorts of different questions and ideas. One of these was about favorite points. If somebody awards my cache a favorite point, do I receive a favorite point to give to another cache? My gut is saying no, since that would cause an infinitely growing number of favorite points, even ignoring the fact that you are awarded one for every ten finds. But then again, I could be wrong in that assumption

No. You earn favorite points by finding caches. Those are the favorite points you can award to a cache that you find. 

Favorite points are given to caches that you own are not yours. They can be taken away at will by the person who gave them to your cache. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
7 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

No. You earn favorite points by finding caches. Those are the favorite points you can award to a cache that you find. 

Favorite points are given to caches that you own are not yours. They can be taken away at will by the person who gave them to your cache. 

Thank you. That's what I had assumed, because it would make sense for the FP to be awarded to the cache, not the cacher

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, pixelteer425 said:

Thank you. That's what I had assumed, because it would make sense for the FP to be awarded to the cache, not the cacher

The Help Center has a wealth of info.  The very-first sentence is "Geocaching Favorite points are a simple way to track and share the geocaches that you enjoyed the most. "       :)

In  the other thread ...  in case you missed it, some do feel FPs have something to do with them.

- But It's not about them at all ...  and why you can remove FPs from a cache if/when you want. 

The site has been pretty open that they don't care for negative actions on its members. 

A good example is you can't "ignore" a member, but you can ignore their caches.

Sure, someone can feel good that their caches have some FPs,  hopefully good logs thanking them are enough.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

The Help Center has a wealth of info.  The very-first sentence is "Geocaching Favorite points are a simple way to track and share the geocaches that you enjoyed the most. "       :)

In  the other thread ...  in case you missed it, some do feel FPs have something to do with them.

- But It's not about them at all ...  and why you can remove FPs from a cache if/when you want. 

The site has been pretty open that they don't care for negative actions on its members. 

Sure, someone can feel good that their caches have some FPs,  hopefully good logs thanking them are enough.

Yeah, the help center thing is why I figured it wouldn’t allow you to give another cache a FP if one of your caches got one. And that other thread is what caused me to start this one. And I have to agree, the FP is for the specific geocache, not the person who hid it. It’s possible that I could love a specific cache by someone, but all the rest of their caches I find boring or just don’t like

On 7/21/2020 at 6:35 AM, cerberus1 said:

I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with this, but you probably could have answered the question without throwing in a subtle attack on those who feel differently than you about FPs and what they are for.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
On 8/14/2020 at 4:41 AM, Tungstène said:

Maybe there could be a confusion because of that:

Screenshot_20200814-103704__01.jpg.f7c8928fe36748b3bd0eb126c24e0105.jpgSource: my profile Web page.

Yes, you're right - that would seem to IMPLY that YOU have been awarded 218 FPs.

Perhaps it should be combined with the line above and say something like "11 hides, with a combined tally of 218 Favorite Points" .

Anyone at HQ reading this? Clarity!

(BTW, 218 across 11? Congrats!)

• Upvote 2
27 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Yes, you're right - that would seem to IMPLY that YOU have been awarded 218 FPs.

Just looking at my own numbers, it looks like it is showing how many FP have been awarded to the member's caches. That's what matches for my profile.

1 minute ago, myrthman said:

Same topic, different question. I can create a new thread if need be.

If favorite points are gained with every 10th find, why would I need to get five more if I'm sitting on 2038? Maths tells me it's 2. What am I overlooking? TIA

Never mind. Just figured it out. Lab caches do not count towards FP accumulation. Meh.

• Helpful 1