Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
reybr

Feature request: Tag system

Recommended Posts

When planning holidays and different trips, I try to find geocaches that show interesting places around different themes. Like historic sites from WW2, caves, waterfalls etc. As it is now, those geocaches can be hard to find when planning a trip. The attributes aren't really helpful because of the limited attributes available  and neither is search for name.

 

What I would like to see is a feature where COs can tag their caches with custom, not predefined as that would be to limited, tags describing the theme of the cache. That way it's possible to search for caches with different themes.

  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post

This isn't a social media site so I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be able to be done as you desire. Although I don't Waymark much, there's plenty of specified groupings of waymarks organized as you want over there.  I don't even know how GS would even begin to create "tags", much less if they even could.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, reybr said:

When planning holidays and different trips, I try to find geocaches that show interesting places around different themes. Like historic sites from WW2, caves, waterfalls etc. As it is now, those geocaches can be hard to find when planning a trip. The attributes aren't really helpful because of the limited attributes available  and neither is search for name.

 

What I would like to see is a feature where COs can tag their caches with custom, not predefined as that would be to limited, tags describing the theme of the cache. That way it's possible to search for caches with different themes.

Waymarking can help you with this! On every geocache page you can click on Nearest Waymarks to see what's nearby. There are categories for WWII memorials, caves, waterfalls, etc, just some of the over 1,000 categories. Same username and password as Geocaching. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Max and 99 said:

Waymarking can help you with this! On every geocache page you can click on Nearest Waymarks to see what's nearby. There are categories for WWII memorials, caves, waterfalls, etc, just some of the over 1,000 categories. Same username and password as Geocaching. 


Sorry, but that doesn't help at all since there are almost no waymarks in Scandinavia.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

OK

About 5,000. I'm seeing a lot of new ones lately!

Sorry the Waymarking site isn't helpful for your project.

Edited by Max and 99

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Waymarking can help you with this! On every geocache page you can click on Nearest Waymarks to see what's nearby. There are categories for WWII memorials, caves, waterfalls, etc, just some of the over 1,000 categories. Same username and password as Geocaching. 

 

I sorta agree, but would do it in reverse order.     :)

I'd go on the Waymarking site, look for, oh let's see... U.S. National Registry of Historic Places,  WWII sites, Caves, or Waterfalls, and simply scroll down to "all nearest geocaches."  

We don't see attributes accurate or even on many cache pages, so if the site could do this,  once the novelty wore off maybe it'd be the same.

I remember that at one time a few people asked about a cache description word search at that project gc site.  Didn't keep track.

I thought you could on gsak, like a [FTF] search to keep track of their FTFs.  Why couldn't folks have [cave] on a gsak search ?

 

 

Edited by cerberus1

Share this post


Link to post

Are there any public bookmark lists of the types of caches you're looking for?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, reybr said:

What I would like to see is a feature where COs can tag their caches with custom, not predefined as that would be to limited, tags describing the theme of the cache. That way it's possible to search for caches with different themes.

 

If such a scheme existed, I'd be struggling to think of what I could tag most of my caches as. My Chasing Waterfalls series is pretty obvious, but it already has Waterfalls in the title of each cache so the tag wouldn't be adding anything there. But what of something like GC62WZJ (Quest for the Middle Sea Diamond)? There's waterways, wetlands, hiking, a native woodland arboretum, rock-hopping, a trig marker, a wind-eroded cave and plenty of scenic views, all woven into a bushranging story set in mid 1800s colonial Australia. The list of tags would almost be as long as the description!

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, TriciaG said:

Are there any public bookmark lists of the types of caches you're looking for?


Sure, there are some, but most are not maintained and all rely on the owner of the list having discovered the cache listing. With a tag system the categorisation is moved from a single user list to the cache owner, the person most qualified to categorise it correctly. The important thing is to let the tags be user defined as the current set of attributes are much to limited for searching.

 

There is also a possibility to allow all users the option to add tags to a cache. (Can be misused in numerous ways though)

Edited by reybr

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

 

If such a scheme existed, I'd be struggling to think of what I could tag most of my caches as. My Chasing Waterfalls series is pretty obvious, but it already has Waterfalls in the title of each cache so the tag wouldn't be adding anything there. But what of something like GC62WZJ (Quest for the Middle Sea Diamond)? There's waterways, wetlands, hiking, a native woodland arboretum, rock-hopping, a trig marker, a wind-eroded cave and plenty of scenic views, all woven into a bushranging story set in mid 1800s colonial Australia. The list of tags would almost be as long as the description!

 

Adding a 'Waterfall' tag to your Chasing Waterfalls series would add searchability. Sure, I can search for titles including Waterfall, but not all caches related to waterfalls have that word in the title. That's where tags / metadata can help. Regarding your example with GC62WZJ, I don't see why a long list of tags is a problem. It's not something you are supposed to read. It's metadata to help you search. It can be hidden away as a collapsable list.

 

There are of course some possible problems with a tag system as well.

First there is the language problem where you can have two words for the same thing: Waterfall / foss (The Norwegian translation of Waterfall), but also other synonyms or even spelling errors.

There is also a possibility that mystery creators would use such a tag system to hide the coordinates so that the tags are no longer representative.

And as with the attribute system, some people could add a tag to boost statistics.

 

In my opinion, tags would be very helpful for finding the caches I really want to visit.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/24/2020 at 6:56 AM, reybr said:

In my opinion, tags would be very helpful for finding the caches I really want to visit.

 

Of course that would be helpful but I don't think it's feasible on this site.

 

You're basically asking a a non-social media platform to adopt social media practices.

Share this post


Link to post

  

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 6:25 PM, coachstahly said:

 

Of course that would be helpful but I don't think it's feasible on this site.

 

You're basically asking a a non-social media platform to adopt social media practices.

 

I don't see why it's not feasible for this site. Basically, add a tag field to the database entry for the geocache and you're done.

 

Using tags / metadata for searching has nothing to do with  social media. It's used by many other services, like news sites, webstores (like Steam), EXIF-information in pictures, to categorize a personal library of images. Basically for all kinds of databases. I don't see any difference between those examples and this site

Share this post


Link to post

It's a fine idea, I just think that it would eventually end up like attributes, and people just adding whatever tags they want whether relevant or not...

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post

You can leverage Google to a degree using additional parameters.  I sometimes do that to discover relevant listings. For example, searching for:

 

site:geocaching.com intitle:"created by" intitle:ontario waterfall

 

That will match all listings

1. on geocaching.com,

2. with "created by" in the page title (existing on all cache listings) - quoted for exact match because of the space,

3. filtered to those posted in Ontario (the region and country are in all cache listing titles),

4. plus a generic search for waterfall matches (maybe matched via the body content, title, themes, etc; google magic)

 

Now, the results will all depend on public visibility and how updated google's cache is, but a google search provides a very flexible worldwide search engine.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, TmdAndGG said:

It's a fine idea, I just think that it would eventually end up like attributes, and people just adding whatever tags they want whether relevant or not...

 

True, that is a potensial problem (dadgum statistics). It can however be made less of a problem by upvoting/downvoting the tags. Several of the sites i use sets a base value for a tag to a number. Users can then upvote/downvote the tag and if that value falls to zero the tag is removed.

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, reybr said:

 

True, that is a potensial problem (dadgum statistics). It can however be made less of a problem by upvoting/downvoting the tags. Several of the sites i use sets a base value for a tag to a number. Users can then upvote/downvote the tag and if that value falls to zero the tag is removed.

No no no no no no no. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

No no no no no no no. 

 

Why? Upvoting/downvoting tags works great at other sites. Remember that I am talking about metadata. Ideally this should be excluded from any statistical use, but I don't see how that can be prevented

Edited by reybr

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, reybr said:

 

Why? Upvoting/downvoting tags works great at other sites. Remember that I am talking about metadata

I don't know what that means. But what I'm reading seems to be venturing too close to social media. I don't like it at all. I'm really sorry. Just my take on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I don't know what that means. But what I'm reading seems to be venturing too close to social media. I don't like it at all. I'm really sorry. Just my take on it. 

 

While I can understand that that you don't want geocaching to get to close to social media, this has nothing to do with social media.

If you want to, you can have a look at the Wikipedia article about metadata tags: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_(metadata)

 

Quote

In information systems, a tag is a keyword or term assigned to a piece of information (such as an Internet bookmark, digital image, database record, or computer file). This kind of metadata helps describe an item and allows it to be found again by browsing or searching. Tags are generally chosen informally and personally by the item's creator or by its viewer, depending on the system, although they may also be chosen from a controlled vocabulary.

 

Edited by reybr
Added wiki quote

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, reybr said:

 

True, that is a potensial problem (dadgum statistics). It can however be made less of a problem by upvoting/downvoting the tags. Several of the sites i use sets a base value for a tag to a number. Users can then upvote/downvote the tag and if that value falls to zero the tag is removed.

 

This site already has moderated user tags a.k.a. bookmarks. Cache owners could add social media style tags to cache descriptions and titles if they wish.

Edited by arisoft

Share this post


Link to post

And more free public entry of data means more trusted moderation.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2

×
×
  • Create New...