Virtual events

Fier

During the crazy time of COVID-19, in the communities I have seen a lot of discussions regarding the desire to have an online cache event type.  The attendance log-book would have to be electronic, and there would have to be some special rules regarding the location of attendees. The cache type would also have to be something other than a typical event.  Is this something worth pursuing or would it remove the 'geo'-location from geocaching? 

4 hours ago, Fier said:

During the crazy time of COVID-19, in the communities I have seen a lot of discussions regarding the desire to have an online cache event type.  The attendance log-book would have to be electronic, and there would have to be some special rules regarding the location of attendees. The cache type would also have to be something other than a typical event.  Is this something worth pursuing or would it remove the 'geo'-location from geocaching? 

First, there is no requirement for a log book at event caches.

Second, this appears to be nothing more than the desire to get +1 smiley .

If you see a lot of discussions in those 'virtual communities', you are participating on those platforms already. Calling such a 'meeting' a geocaching event changes it in no way (other than that that +1 smiley of course)

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
5 hours ago, Fier said:

You are not the first one to propose that but for the moment Groundspeak banned those kind of initiative.

It would be nice if HQ facilitated such online gatherings in partnership with some video conferencing website or something similar, but I think it should be distinct and separate from the existing formats currently available, and not count towards the User statistics that are location based.

• Upvote 2

In case you missed it:

Regular Events and CITOs

In some regions, community volunteer reviewers may suspend publishing Events and/or may disable, retract, or archive already published Events, in accordance with guidance from health authorities.

We advise hosts to consult their regional health authorities to understand the guidance regarding gatherings of people. Generally, Geocaching HQ leaves the decision to Event hosts on whether to continue hosting the Event and to attendees on whether they will participate.

We understand it can be very disappointing to miss the connections that are made at Events. But please remember that geocaching is a location-based game, and locationless Events or virtual logging of Events are not permitted by the Geocaching guidelines. HQ appreciates that the community is so strong that players want to keep in touch virtually and we encourage doing so using other online platforms

• Helpful 2

Hi,

I tough how someone could acquire the Blue switch souvenir 2020 it the health authorities do not authorize to go out?

I guess a skype event could allow that?

The HQ will update the way to acquire this souvenir?

let us know...

Regards,

rca85

11 minutes ago, rca85 said:

Hi,

I tough how someone could acquire the Blue switch souvenir 2020 it the health authorities do not authorize to go out?

let us know...

Regards,

rca85

Do you realize that your profile is public? We can see your geocaching activity! 

30 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Do you realize that your profile is public? We can see your geocaching activity! 

sorry I missed something? is there any issue with my geocaching activity? please describe I did not understand what it's wrong?

46 minutes ago, rca85 said:

Hi,

let us know...

Regards,

rca85

Unless there's an unexpected relaxation of restrictions here in the next couple of weeks, I won't be finding any caches or attending any events on the 2nd of May so I won't get whatever souvenir is on offer. That's life at the moment, and if the worst thing that happens to me this year is I miss out on a few caching souvenirs I'll be eternally grateful. There'll be another Blue Switch day next year and the year after that.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, barefootjeff said:

Unless there's an unexpected relaxation of restrictions here in the next couple of weeks, I won't be finding any caches or attending any events on the 2nd of May so I won't get whatever souvenir is on offer. That's life at the moment, and if the worst thing that happens to me this year is I miss out on a few caching souvenirs I'll be eternally grateful. There'll be another Blue Switch day next year and the year after that.

Yep!

1 hour ago, rca85 said:

Hi,

let us know...

Regards,

rca85

I am surprised that they haven't made an announcement! The fact that they haven't makes me wonder if the souvenir is continuing as planned. They've already stated that virtual events are not permitted. So in my opinion, as of now, I see two options: find a cache if your local laws allow it, or you don't earn the souvenir. Many of us will not be earning it. I haven't yet decided for myself. But regarding the topic of this thread: virtual events, Groundspeak has already said No. 

1 hour ago, rca85 said:

Hi,

let us know...

Regards,

rca85

Maybe they will see your post and make an announcement!

14 hours ago, rca85 said:

Hi,

let us know...

Regards,

rca85

I was hoping that Groundspeak would talk about the Blue Switch Day souvenir in today's newsletter. But no newsletter! 

Edit: I just got the newsletter, almost 2 hours later than usual. Nothing new regarding the souvenir.

Edited by Max and 99
Update
On 4/13/2020 at 11:54 PM, rca85 said:

Hi,

let us know...

Regards,

rca85

An announcement will be made next week.

Wondering if I've missed any announcement about allowing virtual event caches at this point.

It's been a year now that we've been unable to have events.

I've moved to a new area, and would really like to meet cachers in my area. Geocaching outdoors can be done at safe distances, especially with masks on. I don't have a way to meet local geocachers.

I'd also like to keep up with geocachers in the area where I used to live and continue those friendships.

I'd love to see these events, even if you can't log them. It would be really community building. If logging the "smiley" is an issue, then perhaps we can just attend online and not log the event online.

I know a lot of people (including me) who are feeling really isolated right now. Outdoor activities are more and more being deemed as the safest thing we can do, especially if we keep social distancing and masks on. I'd love to meet people locally to geocache with.

Clarification: I am NOT advocating for real, in person events yet. I hope in a few months we'll begin to be able to have events outdoors with a limited number of people that are social distanced with masks, but this is still not the right time for that. I'd love to attend some local events virtually.

I think having them be something you cannot log would keep people from attending from all over and making it a real mess.

Anything I've missed about the possibility of virtual events?