Question/Feature Request: (more direct) way to jumpto a specific page on your found caches list

frostengel

Hello,

I am pretty sure this has been suggested before but if so I'll suggest it again. :-)

And if there is a walk-around that I don't know and someone tells me that is even better. :-)

We just helped a friend with a certain cache that I found in 2014. Finding this special cache was no problem but after reading my old log I was curious about other caches I had logged at that day.

I opened up the link https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=frostengel to see the list of any of my found caches - sorted by date. Sorted by date sounds perfect but I assume I have found more than 5000 Caches in the meantime so I have to jump a little bit. It says "Page: 1 of 579" so perhaps I have to go to page 250/300 or something like that.

What can I do? Jump to page 10, click next to reach page 11, jump to page 20, click next to jump to page 21 and so on. I did so and found what I wanted to find on page 269 after several useless clicks.

I can't imagine that I am the only one who had to this - or is there a work-around?

For this special problem it would be perfect if I was able to jump to a date but the list can be sorted otherway. I have the same problem if I want to search for all difficulty 3 star caches if the list is sorted by difficulty.

What about implementing a "jump to page ..." function? Than it is a quick trial and error and we can directly jump to page 250 (or whatever) and from there on proceed in the suiting direction.

From other websites I know a changing link which might be like https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=frostengel&page_1 or https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=frostengel&caches0to20 (for the first page) where you can directly edit the link so that no additional button is needed.

When I sort the list by favorites (for example) it says https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=frostengel&sortdir=desc&sort=fav (detaila added!) so why not add the page number you are on?

Thanks for reading! Best wishes and stay healthy

Jochen

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

You can show your own Found logs all on one page, but not somebody else’s:

https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=2

Yep.  :)   

Maybe I'm not getting the problem, but on "my logs" I was able to drag the scroll bar through and to our first cache in less than a second.

Looking for a certain date simply took an extra second on the scroll bar.

1 hour ago, IceColdUK said:

You can show your own Found logs all on one page, but not somebody else’s:

https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=2

Cool, that's helpful for the problem I had today - thank you very much and a "thumbs up" for your post.

There is no other possibility to sort these, is there? It still does not help for finding all your difficulty 3 (or similar) caches which I needed for challenges or from other curiosity. But it solves the problem I often have - I am too interested in caches of my history, perhaps that is the problem. :-)

Thanks again!

Jochen

3 hours ago, frostengel said:

For this special problem it would be perfect if I was able to jump to a date but the list can be sorted otherway. I have the same problem if I want to search for all difficulty 3 star caches if the list is sorted by difficulty.

Yep. It's been obvious to me for as long as I've been geocaching that this would be a useful feature for all lists.

• Upvote 1

Good morning everybody (it's 9:30 in Germany now),

so there might be work-arounds for almost any problems. Thank you all for your help!

And I am sure that for all the problems using external tools (GSAK for example) will even give simpler solutions.

But the question remains: wouldn't such a feature be helpful though there are work-arounds? If I ever have many (many, many!) pages of anything, jumping to a page number should be easily possible, shouldn't it? And it should be possible in other cacher's list, too.

So if this is not easy to make I'll take back my request as I may solve any of my problems now - thanks again. But I still think it would make life a little easier and if this was not such a big deal it might be implemented in the future.

--------------------- 8< ---------------------

By the way - a very similar problem: If you have a cache with about 1000 finds and you want to read old logs. Is there a way to jump to a certain date, let's say the beginning? Or to easily search for the log of a cacher who is not in your friend list? Or easily jump to DNF logs only? Having to load all the logs takes some time sometimes.......

I am sure that filtering logs is something with potential to improve the usability of the website, isn't it?

Best wishes and stay healthy

Jochen

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, frostengel said:

But the question remains: wouldn't such a feature be helpful though there are work-arounds? If I ever have many (many, many!) pages of anything, jumping to a page number should be easily possible, shouldn't it? And it should be possible in other cacher's list, too.

I think it's an obvious and important feature for the website lists. It comes up all the time, at least for me. I don't really care if there are other workarounds. When I want this feature, it's because I'm looking at a website list. People suggesting workarounds are imagining that I come to the list with a problem, hence they think it makes sense to start by suggesting I start with a different list processing utility. That's not the way it works. I'm already looking at the list on the website when I realize I want to jump to date X.

By the way, the most common time this comes up is a specific case that seems like it has an obvious solution: if I'm looking at a specific log -- most commonly, it's because I brought up *my* log using the link at the top of the cache page -- I want to see the list of logs around that log. A link jumping from the display of an individual log to the log list scrolled down to that point would take care of 90% of the cases where I want to look at all the entries around a specific time.

8 hours ago, frostengel said:

By the way - a very similar problem: If you have a cache with about 1000 finds and you want to read old logs. Is there a way to jump to a certain date, let's say the beginning? Or to easily search for the log of a cacher who is not in your friend list? Or easily jump to DNF logs only? Having to load all the logs takes some time sometimes.......

I am sure that filtering logs is something with potential to improve the usability of the website, isn't it?

Yes, as I said, this is a general feature that would be useful in all lists ordered by date.

Although as it happens, there is a solution to the specific question of looking at the beginning of the logs: when looking at a cache page, click the link "View Logbook" just above the first log entry. That has a standard interface which, among other things, allows you to pick the last page of logs with the very earliest logs on it.

Searching for a specific cacher or jumping to the next DNF log or filtering to show only DNF entries would all be useful features that I'd like to have, but now we're talking about a complete revamping of the listing system, not the simpler "jump to date" feature I thought you started with. But it's nice to dream!

On 3/21/2020 at 6:18 PM, dprovan said:

By the way, the most common time this comes up is a specific case that seems like it has an obvious solution: if I'm looking at a specific log -- most commonly, it's because I brought up *my* log using the link at the top of the cache page -- I want to see the list of logs around that log. A link jumping from the display of an individual log to the log list scrolled down to that point would take care of 90% of the cases where I want to look at all the entries around a specific time.

That's describing exactly also my 90% of cumbersom scrolling and clicking to get to a certain point of log-history.

As you said the "Logbook" makes it easy to jump to the first logs but is similar useless for reading logs "inbetween". It would help to have a smarter selection of inbetween pages on that top menu.

logbook.jpg.d01c666bdad874baca6401f6a89e0c73.jpg

9 hours ago, Hynz said:

As you said the "Logbook" makes it easy to jump to the first logs but is similar useless for reading logs "inbetween". It would help to have a smarter selection of inbetween pages on that top menu.

Yep. I've spent a lot of pointless time wading through a long log that way. That used to be easier when they showed the entire log on the cache page before they switched to the unsearchable "as needed" list they use now, although I understand why they had to do that, so I'm not complaining. A go-to-date feature would be perfect, but I could get close to the same results if there was a way to ask for the entire log as one page no matter how long it was. At least then I could search it for, say, a user name as long as I was prepared to wait for the entire log to be loaded.

Yes, and the view all logs page is a beast if you have 10k+ (especially multiple) finds. It's a memory hog on the page, for some it might kill the browser, it could become unnecessarily bandwidth intense, and it's a big query on the server.  It's not an optimal solution, though it is nice to have a single page with everything.  More importantly, as mentioned, being able to jump between specific pages is much more optimal; even including a field to enter a page number. Some forum software provides this as well. It's fairly standard. The 10-page grouping I think is a very very old leftover from early gc.com...