Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dealfarms1

Using Siri to find caches

Anybody figured out how to phrase a "Hey Siri" query on their iPhone that will identify nearby caches?

Something like "Hey Siri, what's the nearest cache?"  Thinking this could be helpful while driving solo and spontaneously decide to grab a cache.

There is a "widget" available on the iPhone for nearby geocaches, which uses your current location.  I am not sure if Siri can hook into it, but it is worth pursuing since it's independent of opening the App.

Widget.jpg

• Helpful 2

1 hour ago, dealfarms1 said:

Anybody figured out how to phrase a "Hey Siri" query on their iPhone that will identify nearby caches?

I bet you can do that using a Shortcut (at least will start the app)... will give it a try when I can. :)

i bet asking siri for a cache will result in locations of ATMs. Perhaps asking for geocaches?

On 3/6/2020 at 2:15 PM, Jayeffel said:

Curious, did you try? I have Siri but am too uninformed how to use it!

Yes, with no luck.

On 3/15/2020 at 8:57 AM, ras_oscar said:

i bet asking siri for a cache will result in locations of ATMs. Perhaps asking for geocaches?

Tried using "geocache" also, no luck.

On 3/6/2020 at 3:16 PM, RuideAlmeida said:

I bet you can do that using a Shortcut (at least will start the app)... will give it a try when I can. :)

Tried to create a shortcut but as noted all I could come up with was a way to start the app.

On 3/6/2020 at 3:12 PM, Keystone said:

There is a "widget" available on the iPhone for nearby geocaches, which uses your current location.  I am not sure if Siri can hook into it, but it is worth pursuing since it's independent of opening the App.

Widget.jpg

I have used the widget.

I trying to figure out a way to "hey Siri" and have the phone display a map to the nearest app, even better would be if I could then ask for directions to the cache and have Siri direct me to them so that I can drive without having to try to read a map while driving.

I winder if you can program a Siri shortcut that would bring up a caching app preset to show nearby caches. Perhaps call the shortcut nearby caches and have her invoke it?

39 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

I winder if you can program a Siri shortcut that would bring up a caching app preset to show nearby caches. Perhaps call the shortcut nearby caches and have her invoke it?

That is a thought, I'll try that.

How about getting a few college interns from down the street to help with this excellent idea?  

Though Siri offline you'll have to talk to Apple.