Copying someone else's description

Max and 99

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I knew someone was viewing my waymark. Then they put a cache there. Then someone else visited my waymark. I checked out the geocache page only to find out my exact text was copied. Not a big deal, but it would have been nice if they asked. Just a little disappointed, I guess. 

If they steal your text, go to the geocache and steal their tupperware. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
  • Helpful 1
5 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I knew someone was viewing my waymark. Then they put a cache there. Then someone else visited my waymark. I checked out the geocache page only to find out my exact text was copied. Not a big deal, but it would have been nice if they asked. Just a little disappointed, I guess. 

Log a visit and let 'em know you're watching.

I have a River Confluence Waymark where the photo was stolen and used for an Earthcache at the same location. To add insult to injury, the Earthcache question to answer came from a Lewis & Clark Expedition plaque nearby that I had Waymarked.

I guess I can't complain though. I've used many Waymarks to find answers for Puzzle caches, Multicaches, and Virtual caches.

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose
add last sentence.
  • Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

I have a River Confluence Waymark where the photo was stolen and used for an Earthcache at the same location. To add insult to injury, the Earthcache question to answer came from a Lewis & Clark Expedition plaque nearby that I had Waymarked.

Guess that means you DO get out of Texas now and then.

Keith

Stop it, now! The day after I posted this topic I was getting ready for a Waymarking trip. I came across a website for the nearby big city, and it showcased art in my state. I click on the city I'm going to:

Wait! That's MY photo! And THAT'S my photo! And that's my photo!  No way. Those are my EXACT words from my waymark (not a plaque text, but My description). The same car is in both photos. The same everything is every photo taken by me.

Cut it out!

Not one mention of whose photo they are using or where they took MY words. Nothing.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Stop it, now! The day after I posted this topic I was getting ready for a Waymarking trip. I came across a website for the nearby big city, and it showcased art in my state. I click on the city I'm going to:

Wait! That's MY photo! And THAT'S my photo! And that's my photo!  No way. Those are my EXACT words from my waymark (not a plaque text, but My description). The same car is in both photos. The same everything is every photo taken by me.

Cut it out!

Not one mention of whose photo they are using or where they took MY words. Nothing.

Is it the actual website for the municipal government?

7 minutes ago, elyob said:

https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/wmAD5Z_Jester_Edmond_Oklahoma

I found them.  I think that is a disgusting practice, even if it is flattering.  Will you be contacting the city?

That's not them, if you are referring to Edmond.

But my city did post a lot of mine and hamquilter's photos. We have a good relationship with them, and when we told them we wanted credit for all the photos they were using, they added it to the bottom of the page.

Edited by Max and 99
3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

That's not them.

But my city did post a lot of mine and hamquilter's photos. We have a good relationship with them, and when we told them we wanted credit for all the photos they were using, they added it to the bottom of the page.

I don't see your credits but it's good to know that your city understood even if you did have to bring it to their attention.

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Sorry- I can't figure out how to separate the two photos. Top is my waymark. Bottom is a screen shot from the art website.

That's copyright infringement. Depending on the laws where you are you might get some $$$.

Take screenshots (as proof) then contact them about it.

I'm confused. The email link takes me to the City of Edmond, to my contact about outdoor public art. But the website is not the City of Edmond's. I'm guessing that the Art Alliance took it from the City of Edmond page

But I do see a contact for the Art Alliance at the bottom of the website. That's who I'll contact. Thank you for everyone's help. I really appreciate it!

I have good news to report. I heard back from the organization, and the rep was nice and very apologetic and absolutely willing to fix this issue which was completely unintentional. It seems that the links back to the website for my city, where my name is mentioned, are all broken. They are going to get it fixed.

• Upvote 2