How far from home coordinates can you hide a geocache!

TeddyR

I live in Clark County Ohio, but I also spend a few weekends a month at our family cabin in Morgan County Ky. 

As the bird bird flies I would guess 135 miles. I would also have a cousin who lives by to check the cache out if need be!

what steps would I need to take to hide one closer to my cabin?

When I placed a cache near the cabin that we share with family, I tried to put as much information in a Note to the Reviewer as I could, to demonstrate that I not only would maintain the cache, but also have a long history of caching in the area, as well as, and understanding of the land management issues in the area.  The types of issues I addressed in my Note were:

1. The frequency and length of time we spend at the cabin.

2. The fact we share the cabin with other family members who could be called upon to address any maintenance issues.

3. The distance from the cabin to the cache site, and the type of access required.

4. Land management policy for the area regarding geocaching on public lands.

The Listing was Published on the first pass.  The more information you can give, the more likely the process will be pretty simple.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
6 hours ago, TeddyR said:

what steps would I need to take to hide one closer to my cabin?

Be a responsible cache owner to begin with.

Taking care of your current caches that have a bunch of need maintenance would be the first step. Also archive your cache instead of the reviewer would show that you are responsible.

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 1
20 hours ago, RuideAlmeida said:

As long you can present a good maintenance plan... OK

Ok, what sort of maintenance plan would be satisfactory?  I own two houses about 85 miles apart.  I have been averaging going to the secondary house about every other weekend (I drove in from there to work this morning).  I've archived most of the caches that I've own near my primary house, mostly because I geocache very little locally and they're all over 10 years old.  Our new house, though is a pretty rural area (there are two cache in town and the next closest is over 5 miles away) so I could use a few more hides in the area.  

On 12/15/2019 at 7:31 PM, L0ne.R said:

I'm going to be honest, I had a look at your hides and the last few have been ignored. They were eventually archived by a reviewer. It doesn't look likely that you will be able to maintain this long distance cache.

Yes I was inactive for several years. I am getting back into geocaching again now and was curious. But you are right most were archived due to no response from me. 

Edited by TeddyR
  • Love 1