Upper Cumberland TN Chapter?????

TNRonin

My idea would be to place an event cache to be held somewhere in the upper Cumberland specifically to see if enough people express an interest in starting a club in this area.

I can think of several good locations for such a meeting. There are several pavilions at Burgess falls Park that come to mind, as well as other parks in the area. Fall creek falls, Rock Island, Cumberland Mountain, Standing Stone. Even some of the smaller city parks have very nice pavilions. Or if you want air conditioning use one of the local community centers.

Not everyone reads the forums but they do look at the caches closes to them. Find a place for a meeting ( a rain or shine type area ) like a shelter in a nice park. Proceed to make a cache page ( EVENT ) give enough notice ( post date the cache page ) at least three four weeks so everyone in the area can make plans to attend. You have to start somewhere .

TG

Tennessee Geocacher

Geocaching.com Approver

quote:
Originally posted by krdunn:

So for there is four for the group. I some you would like we could meet and talk about a club.

quote:
Originally posted by Tennessee Geocacher:

Not everyone reads the forums but they do look at the caches closes to them.

I know at least three other cachers that would definitely be interested but they don't visit the forums much.

quote:

Remember there is currently a moratorium on placing any new caches ( even a event )in state parks or on state property.

I can understand the need for and agree with the moratorium on placing new caches in state parks until the current situation with the state parks service is resolved. However I am surprised that this applies to event caches also as I just attended one in a state park this week. I would like to submit my opinion that event caches are caches in name only and are no more against park rules or the spirit of the moratorium than a family reunion or a church picnic. Can you explain the reasoning behind including event caches in parks a little more? In no way do I want to start some kind of argument, just stating my $.02 worth and asking for a little more clarification.

Even so there are many other places that a meeting can be held, Community centers, private or city parks as well as others.

Just to throw in a suggestion or two Sparta has a very nice little park with a large pavilion down near the river. I have a micro hid in that park now. Then there is of course Hidden Hollow, which is a private park outside of Cookeville, but there is a small entry fee there. Also McMinnville has a nice city park, don’t know any details on that one. I'm sure there are others in the area. Anybody else want to chime in with a suggestion or two?

Any of the location would be good with me. I did not know that we could not set an event, and was think of putting a virtual. I will hald off till TN parks says it is OK agien. I have one more please to that we can look at. Cane Creek Park is a city park in Cookeville that has three pavilions. Let me know were you think is the best place.

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates,

when he said, "I drank what?"

Frankly, my desire is to make this the Upper Cumberland Geocaching Club, not the Cookeville Geocaching Club. What do you all think about meeting at Cumberland Mtn State Park in Crossville? I'll be up there all next week so I can get things lined out for the Virtual Cache event. If the major concensus of the group is Ckvl, that is fine also. I know that there are some people to the east of Crossville and I would like to do our level best to include them.

Opinions?

Maxpedition Hard Use Nylon Gear

quote:
Originally posted by TNRonin:

What do you all think about meeting at Cumberland Mtn State Park in Crossville?

I have no problem with the meeting being held in Crossville however according to this quote,

quote:

Remember there is currently a moratorium on placing any new caches ( even a event )in state parks or on state property.

we cant post it as and event cache if it's in a state park so some other arrangements must be made if we wish to post it as an event cache, which I think is necessary to get the word out.

How about this, does anyone know of a location between Cookeville and Crossville. What about Monterey I believe there is a very nice city park there.

Well I went by Whitaker Park in Monterey today, not a bad little park for a small town. It has two pavilions with two tables each. The east one has a nice B,B,Q grill that maybe we could grill some burgers and dogs on. The coordinates for the two pavilions are 36°08.600 X 85° 15.725 for the east one and 36°08.630 X 85° 15.777 for the west one.

I have been out of town, but I was thinking I can get to the park about 10:00 that Morning.

Do we need to start a new profile and call it the TN Upper Cumberland GeoCaching Club? Then make an event.

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates,

when he said, "I drank what?"

quote:

I have been out of town, but I was thinking I can get to the park about 10:00 that Morning.

Do we need to start a new profile and call it the TN Upper Cumberland GeoCaching Club? Then make an event.

Sounds like a plan to me. I was just about to post a question like Wildhawk when he beat me to it.

By the way I have access to several webservers, I can set us up a web page for no cost other than the domain name I will check and see what domain names are avaiable that we can use.

quote:

Runner, check out http://www.godaddy.com. To register a domain for a year is $8.95 IIRC. I have an account there if you don't want to hassle with it. Lemme know.

Cool that will work, my registar is a little more expensive. If you can registar the domeain I can handle everything else including the DNS I have plenty of server room. When we decide on a name I can supply you the DNS numbers for the domain (private e-mail of course) that way it will be a true joint effort. I'm looking forward to seeing the logo that Krdunn is working up.

quote:

I have made the club profile, but before I make the event I need driving direction to the park. Also of the two coordinates which has the grill so I put the right location in.

I believe the The east one has the grill its coordinates are 36°08.600 X 85°15.725.

Driving directions are; Get off I-40 at exit 300, go north about .8 mile to commerical ave,

turn right ago about .5 mile to the park on the left.

quote:

What do you all think of _ucgeocacheclub.org_ ? I sort of like that one because it tells enough for us locals to remember it.

I tried ucgc.org but it was taken.

Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

That domain is fine with me if nobody has any objections I say register it.

When you get ready to register it let me know by private e-mail and I will send you the address of my DNS servers. I have a private Win2k web server that has plenty of room for the website. The server supports Php Perl and MySQL. And it has a mail server.