Tracking number question

GeoElmo6000

I went to activate a geocoin that I received from geocaching HQ this weekend, and used the buddy tag to activate the coin.  I went to an event and brought the coin with me, and people couldn't log it because it wasn't activated.  I checked and realized that my geocoin and its buddy tag had different tracking numbers.

My question is: is this normal or is this unusual?  

I was under the impression that the buddy tag was provided so that the geocoin owner could keep the coin but still send it out to travel, and therefore I assumed the two would have the same tracking number.

25 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

I went to activate a geocoin that I received from geocaching HQ this weekend, and used the buddy tag to activate the coin.  I went to an event and brought the coin with me, and people couldn't log it because it wasn't activated.  I checked and realized that my geocoin and its buddy tag had different tracking numbers.

My question is: is this normal or is this unusual?  

I was under the impression that the buddy tag was provided so that the geocoin owner could keep the coin but still send it out to travel, and therefore I assumed the two would have the same tracking number.

I tried to figure out which coin and tag you're referring to, and I saw this one.  But I didn't try to thoroughly research which coin/tag you meant.  I didn't even find a picture of any tag or coin.  If you want a particular coin at an Event to be logged, bring that coin, not a "buddy tag".  I don't understand what your intention is.

But without specifics, it's tough to guess.  I've seen "copy tags" which have the same number as an included trackable item, and may be placed as proxies.  I've also seen tags that are extras for trackable items, and the buddy tags are mainly informative on how to move a trackable item, they're generic and typically they don't have any "number".  How such an item would have its own tracking code, I can't say.

I'm guessing that what you have is a coin and its copy tag (Proxy), and they were supposed to have the same tracking code.  If so, there was a mixup at the factory and someone else may have one or both numbers as well, so future logs might become confusing.  Other than that, you got a cool free unexpected extra tracking code.

Edited by kunarion
3 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

"Buddy" tags are meant as "hitchhikers" that often accompany a trackable.   They have their own, unique tracking code.

They aren't meant as a "proxy" to the coin, merely another trackable riding along with it.

- So yeah, two separate tracking codes, and "normal".  :)

That kind of explains it! :)

So a "Buddy Tag" is pretty much just another trackable item.

That situation isn't a whole lot different from how I've set up a few prized Geocoins; I buy two and activate/place one for travel, and keep the other so I have the cool coin even when the traveling one vanishes.  Plus I can keep it unactivated, and sell it someday in it's mint condition.

Edited by kunarion

Just to clarify, I opened the geocoin package for my 2018 GIFF geocoin and there was a nice coin and a buddy tag.  I included a photo for reference.  The smaller one with the chain on it seems like it's meant to travel while the larger coin is supposed to stay with the coin owner.  I was surprised to see that they had different tracking numbers. 

Image result for 2018 giff geocoin

5 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

Just to clarify, I opened the geocoin package for my 2018 GIFF geocoin and there was a nice coin and a buddy tag.  I included a photo for reference.  The smaller one with the chain on it seems like it's meant to travel while the larger coin is supposed to stay with the coin owner.  I was surprised to see that they had different tracking numbers. 

Image result for 2018 giff geocoin

As cerberus1 said, it seems more like you got two trackable items.  Two Geocoins, one that's the "coin" version" of the design, one a trackable tag (a "buddy" that may be attached to some item as if it was an ordinary TB).  Each with their own tracking code.

Edited by kunarion
3 hours ago, kunarion said:

That kind of explains it! :)

So a "Buddy Tag" is pretty much just another trackable item.

Yep ... another thing that I feel gets folks confused.  The site calling one of their own similar to what has been on the market for some time.  :)

The Geoswag copy tag buddies  are meant as proxies (or re-released when the original's gone bye-bye). Spaces to fill in on back.

In their shop, geocaching has a 2019 Lackey coin and tag set,  but they even say, "They are each tracked separately with their own individual code. That way you can keep this amazing coin in your collection to be discovered while sending the tag out to find geocaching adventures throughout the world."

- Which makes no sense  (to me).  If I was getting them in a set,  I'd want to keep that awesome coin, and send out the tag  as it's proxy...

The 2019 GIFF Geocoin and companion travel tag (similar to the OP's...) has the same language...

Edited by cerberus1
forgot to add...
14 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

"Buddy" tags are meant as "hitchhikers" that often accompany a trackable.   They have their own, unique tracking code.

Really? Two trackable codes travelling together?

I guess you meant "accompany a personal item to make it trackable", right?

22 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Yep ... another thing that I feel gets folks confused.  The site calling one of their own similar to what has been on the market for some time.  :)

The Geoswag copy tag buddies  are meant as proxies (or re-released when the original's gone bye-bye). Spaces to fill in on back.

In their shop, geocaching has a 2019 Lackey coin and tag set,  but they even say, "They are each tracked separately with their own individual code. That way you can keep this amazing coin in your collection to be discovered while sending the tag out to find geocaching adventures throughout the world."

- Which makes no sense  (to me).  If I was getting them in a set,  I'd want to keep that awesome coin, and send out the tag  as it's proxy...

The 2019 GIFF Geocoin and companion travel tag (similar to the OP's...) has the same language...

Are the tags inscribed with the text "Buddy Tag"?  There was a similar product named "Buddy Tags" that had no tracking code, but had additional information on how to handle and log the attached Trackable item.

People are confused around here about Travel Bugs, a TB and its copy tag, having identical tracking codes.  They're confused when they get a coin and tag set and each item has a different number, and again when the “Copy Tag” is blank, to be filled out by the owner.  And they're confused when a coin arrives with a "Proxy" (and finders are very upset when they arrive at a cache and there's only that Proxy, not a coveted coin to steal to properly log and place into the next cache.  There are many combinations of coins and tags, and they can be used in various ways.  Not every tag is suitable for every purpose.

Things have similar names, so if you see “buddy tag”, be sure it's the kind you want.  In this case, the shop specifically says that both the coin and the tag have their own tracking numbers.  I don't see the specific term "Buddy Tag" at all, but it may simply not be in the photo.  Keep the coin, let the tag travel, or place both for travel.  Or neither.  It's up to you.  You don't even have to “activate” a trackable if you keep it at home.

I've set up some of my trackables so that the Reference Number is in view, or especially that when photographed, the Reference Number, not the secret Tracking Code, may in the photo.  It does take some thought to set them up like that, and also requires thought when logging most any trackable.

tlXLTH4134.jpg

If it's a gift, such as what the OP got for free, you may be stuck with two confusing horrible items you can't even use.  If the situation remains unacceptable, send them to me, unactivated, and I'll bear the burden of owning them.  It's just a little service I provide.

Edited by kunarion
  • Surprised 1
42 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Are the tags inscribed with the text "Buddy Tag"?  There was a similar product named "Buddy Tags" that had no tracking code, but had additional information on how to handle and log the attached Trackable item.

The first two sentences you captured in my post mentioned Geoswag Copy Tag Buddy.

- They're meant to replace or be the proxy of a Trackable.

You're referring to the Geocoin Buddy

- They are meant more for explaining moving trackables (before the "visit" log...) .    Both say "Don't Keep Me!  Please Move Me. "

An example of a  cache buddy  ...  that Shop Geocaching sells, simply a tag that's like any other trackable tag.

A  "companion tag"  comes with the  GiFF set ,  and the Lackey set has a "trackable travel tag " like the site call all their others.

- Neither mention "buddy" at all, so I don't know where the OP even got the idea...

10 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

The first two sentences you captured in my post mentioned Geoswag Copy Tag Buddy.

- They're meant to replace or be the proxy of a Trackable.

You're referring to the Geocoin Buddy

- They are meant more for explaining moving trackables (before the "visit" log...) .    Both say "Don't Keep Me!  Please Move Me. "

So there's a Proxy version and an info tag version. Pretty cool! They're less expensive than the inscribed pet tags I've sometimes ordered (assuming shipping is cheap). Plus I like the text "Don't Keep Me! Please Move Me”, which tells the finder that this item is not for the box full of found trackables kept at home (and logged forevermore with empty robot “visits” to caches where the trackable was never even near). The phrase "Don't Keep Me! Please Move Me”, makes sense if the finder next places the item into a cache and logs the drop. I like that.

But, yeah, the word choices for these things... don't get me started. :rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

- Neither mention "buddy" at all, so I don't know where the OP even got the idea...

My GIFF set came with a geocoin and another non-geocoin tag.  I just called it a buddy tag because it's a smaller version of the geocoin, like its little buddy.  

My personal issue with this situation was that I meant to activate just one item, and in using the [whatever it's called] tag tracking number to initially activate the coin, I wound up activating the item that wasn't going to travel with me, not knowing the tracking numbers were different.  So I activated the tracking number on the geocoin since that's what would travel with me from event to event for discovery.

1 hour ago, kunarion said:

If it's a gift, such as what the OP got for free, you may be stuck with two confusing horrible items you can't even use.

It's a gift that I treasure!  I only have a few geocoins and each is meaningful to me because each has a story behind it.  I write something about each coin in its description.

What I'm going to do:

* The geocoin will travel with me to events to be discovered, with my other geocoins.

* The [whatever it's called] tag will have its code used for something fun; when I didn't know what to do with my Mary Hyde virtual tracking number, I made it into a fun YouTube film and it has gotten nice reviews.

1 minute ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

It's a gift that I treasure!  I only have a few geocoins and each is meaningful to me because each has a story behind it.  I write something about each coin in its description.

What I'm going to do:

* The geocoin will travel with me to events to be discovered, with my other geocoins.

* The [whatever it's called] tag will have its code used for something fun; when I didn't know what to do with my Mary Hyde virtual tracking number, I made it into a fun YouTube film and it has gotten nice reviews.

Excellent!  :D

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, kunarion said:

But, yeah, the word choices for these things... don't get me started. :rolleyes:

:laughing:

To add to the mix, the site does say that all their trackable's " include a chain for hitchhiking " .

Anyone who remembers the hitchhiking  "items" years ago that were enough of an issue that many posts got edited or vaporized  (I remember you participated...), I don't believe "hitchhiker" is a good choice either.  :)