Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
Max and 99

Who is interested in helping with Where's in a Name? waymarks?

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, ambegador said:

Can you help me with a few more specifics on the steps you took to locate someone? How did you search using your coordinates in Geocaching?  Just used the map to ID the general areas? Or, did you somehow use the coordinates in the search box? Can you use wildcards in the search box for the missing coordinates?

Your name converts to: 26° 23.423. Can be N, E, S, or W. 

Do you concur? 

If yes, now you can start looking for a partner (we'll try to help).

Let me first see where that is.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think Southern Florida, near Miami, is your best chance.  I didn't have any luck recruiting a partner in that area.  But don't give up! It's still quite possible. 

Share this post


Link to post

I have an idea of someone who might be able to help! When you are on that category in Waymarking, change the search parameters at the top for waymarks in Florida. If you have trouble send me a PM.

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Your name converts to: 26° 23.423. Can be N, E, S, or W. 

Do you concur? 

If yes, now you can start looking for a partner (we'll try to help).

Let me first see where that is.

Yes! I got the coordinate part. I was stumbling over how to identify a partner.  

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, ambegador said:

Yes! I got the coordinate part. I was stumbling over how to identify a partner.  

I just wanted to make sure I got it right before I helped you look for a partner. 

Share this post


Link to post

 

1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

I have an idea of someone who might be able to help! When you are on that category in Waymarking, change the search parameters at the top for waymarks in Florida. If you have trouble send me a PM.

Thanks! I think I saw a way in Geocaching to ID partners. Especially since I've already mapped out general areas. for example, I use my name for the N coordinate, as you said I can see S. Florida is a likely location. Plug my N coord and then what would be the general Lon for Boca Raton (W080 00.000)  into the Geocaching search box and viola! a list of caches in that area pops up. I see "bocadixie" is one of the cachers with hides there and I can now message bocadixie and ask for help. I can hop around the world plugging in similar variations and see if there are caches nearby and ask those cachers for help, too. I'm guessing it is similar in Waymarking.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, ambegador said:

 

Thanks! I think I saw a way in Geocaching to ID partners. Especially since I've already mapped out general areas. for example, I use my name for the N coordinate, as you said I can see S. Florida is a likely location. Plug my N coord and then what would be the general Lon for Boca Raton (W080 00.000)  into the Geocaching search box and viola! a list of caches in that area pops up. I see "bocadixie" is one of the cachers with hides there and I can now message bocadixie and ask for help. I can hop around the world plugging in similar variations and see if there are caches nearby and ask those cachers for help, too. I'm guessing it is similar in Waymarking.

You got it!

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Alfouine said:

You need to contact more than one if you want to have a reply

Thanks!  I also posted on the Worldwide Geocaching FB page and already have several replies.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ambegador said:

Thanks!  I also posted on the Worldwide Geocaching FB page and already have several replies.

I'm only telling you this to be helpful: make sure you read the posting requirements for this category. Each category has its own requirements!

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm only telling you this to be helpful: make sure you read the posting requirements for this category. Each category has its own requirements!

Yes, thanks. I read the posting requirements. I even posted the link to the Waymarking page with expanded description so anyone who wanted to play/help would be able to red what is involved. I'm waiting for those who have replied to actually visit a spot with my cords and send me pictures.

Share this post


Link to post

There seem to be a number on the Waymarking page https://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=07f522ad-8905-4ae9-b57c-398479eb963f&r=10&exp=True who aren't also listing here.  Doesn't seem to be a way of posting on that page unless one is listing a waymark. Would be nice to cross-reference the two. 

I downloaded the gpx files for those that are already waymarked and added them to my MapSource file for my coordinates. Accomplished two things. 1) saw a couple of waymarks "near" my name coordinates, giving me some people to contact to possibly help me. 2) Saw waymarks along the axis of my "home" coordinates, that when I read their descriptions, I found three others who I can provide waypoints for in my area. one hand washes the other!

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, ambegador said:

Would be nice to cross-reference the two. 

I don't understand. 

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I don't understand. 

Somehow combine those already playing/posted on the Waymarking page with those here interested in helping. For example,  unimoggers and tofixe have already posted waymarks for their name coordinates, but they are not listed here. Their name coordinates are "near" my home coordinates, so I can help them with additional waymarks, but not being listed here they have no way of knowing I'm available to them. Those just listing here may not see that their home coordinates could help someone who is already playing/posted, unless they take the time to read through all the postings already there.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/26/2019 at 7:01 PM, ambegador said:

Can you help me with a few more specifics on the steps you took to locate someone? How did you search using your coordinates in Geocaching?  Just used the map to ID the general areas? Or, did you somehow use the coordinates in the search box? Can you use wildcards in the search box for the missing coordinates?

I found areas with cities along the coords. I looked at waymarks published in that area. When I found someone that seemed to have a good number of waymarks, especially if they were in different months, I would check their Waymarking profile to see where they were located. Then, if I thought they might be close, I wrote to them, asking if they would like to help.

 

For instance, my coords ran thru Rockford, IL. I looked at waymarks in and around Rockford. I found 3 or 4 people that listed living near Rockford (say, within 30 miles). I wrote to all of them, heard back from one.

A couple months later, I got the picture.

  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/26/2019 at 6:50 PM, ambegador said:

Stumbled across this game while logging a benchmark I saw at Stone Mountain, GA over Christmas I would like to play!!  I am located near N30 31 W086 27 in case anyone needs me to find a location in northwest Florida, USA. I converted my name to 26 23.42367 and plotted some points in MapSource.  Connecting the points into a routes I mapped out potential Waymarking areas worldwide.  Reading the posts here gave me some pointers on how to find someone who might be willing to send a photo of the location so I can waymark it. Sounds like fun!

 

Whats in a Name game.jpg

looks like your purple line goes thru south Texas. 8NutsMotherGoose is down there.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/27/2019 at 10:32 PM, ambegador said:

Somehow combine those already playing/posted on the Waymarking page with those here interested in helping. For example,  unimoggers and tofixe have already posted waymarks for their name coordinates, but they are not listed here. Their name coordinates are "near" my home coordinates, so I can help them with additional waymarks, but not being listed here they have no way of knowing I'm available to them. Those just listing here may not see that their home coordinates could help someone who is already playing/posted, unless they take the time to read through all the postings already there.

you can write to them and ask if they'd like another posting. If they agree, take and send the photos.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/26/2019 at 7:51 PM, Max and 99 said:

Your name converts to: 26° 23.423. Can be N, E, S, or W. 

Do you concur? 

If yes, now you can start looking for a partner (we'll try to help).

Let me first see where that is.

or, you could say it converts to 2 deg, 62.342. makes it 3 02.342 which would be in England , France and Spain.

 

Edited by vulture1957
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

or, you could say it converts to 2 deg, 62.342. makes it 3 02.342 which would be in England , France and Spain.

 

I'm sorry to have to report that based on the history of decline comments, you can't add a zero to the front of your name. I really wish the category description could clarify these things, but I'm not the leader and can't edit. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, wayfrog said:

Let's welcome the new leader Max and 99! :omnomnom:

Oye! I just noticed that. Thank you, 93°33.764! 

Edited by Max and 99

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm sorry to have to report that based on the history of decline comments, you can't add a zero to the front of your name. I really wish the category description could clarify these things, but I'm not the leader and can't edit. 

In this case it isn't adding a 0 in front.  It was only using the first digit for the degree, instead of the first 2 digits. I hadn't thought of that possibility. Will go with using the first two digits as degrees first an see what kind of success I can get. And maybe explore this alternative after I've worn out the first. I came up with quite a list of caches near my north or east coordinates, for me to contact the COs & see if they can help locate a POI at the coordinate.  Working on refining the list now for best possibilities.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, ambegador said:

In this case it isn't adding a 0 in front.  It was only using the first digit for the degree, instead of the first 2 digits. I hadn't thought of that possibility. Will go with using the first two digits as degrees first an see what kind of success I can get. And maybe explore this alternative after I've worn out the first. I came up with quite a list of caches near my north or east coordinates, for me to contact the COs & see if they can help locate a POI at the coordinate.  Working on refining the list now for best possibilities.

A waymark was declined for using something like N 3° 25.743 instead of N  32° 57.435.

  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm sorry to have to report that based on the history of decline comments, you can't add a zero to the front of your name. I really wish the category description could clarify these things, but I'm not the leader and can't edit. 

there is no "add a zero to your name". It says to use the digits of your name. the digits, in order, are 2-6-6-3-4-2-3. A proper coord can be made with  single digit to start. Or else, no one could use a longitude (no leading zeros, and 1 has no alpha characters, so longitudes would have to start at 222)

 

Edited by vulture1957

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

A waymark was declined for using something like N 3° 25.743 instead of N  32° 57.435.

well, your find for Tofixe has a 0 in front. Look at the reading on your GPS, it shows W 086 34.93. I guess you'll have to go decline that one. And the one for 8Nuts. And my post in this category. And a total of 49 of the 100 waymarks published.

Edited by vulture1957

Share this post


Link to post

and limiting the coords like this has another consequence. I try to get all legal variations in categories. For Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries, I'm working on getting one of each. For River origins, Confluences, Destinations I'm working on one of each. I'd LOVE to have a Where's In A Name for N, S, E and W coords. Would that not be cool! But with no "leading zero", I won't get a single one.

Edited by vulture1957

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

well, your find for Tofixe has a 0 in front. Look at the reading on your GPS, it shows W 086 34.93. I guess you'll have to go decline that one. And the one for 8Nuts. And my post in this category. And a total of 49 of the 100 waymarks published.

You are misunderstanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

You are misunderstanding.

no, I am not. 8Nuts name works out to 8-7-2-8-7-6-6. The first digit shown on the GPS unit is not an 8, it is a 0. Therefore, you put a 0 in front. No different than what I suggested.

Edited by vulture1957

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

or was there an arbitrary decision to make only 2 digit useful for the degrees. So that someone named 1HyLedge would NOT be able to use 149 53.343 as a longitude (Anchorage, Alaska) but have to change to 15 35.334 (carrying the 1 for 95 minutes).

And yes, that COULD happen. 3LDiesel is similar.

Edited by vulture1957

Share this post


Link to post

I have just been reading this topic and wonder what name would be needed to find my longitude that is 000° 0x.xxx West? My two penneth, I think adding one or two or even three leading zeroes should be permitted.

Share this post


Link to post

I think the most sensible approach would be to take the largest possible number that can be mapped to an existing coordinate. That would be two digit degrees in most cases (except for longitudes between 100 and 180 (three digits, but rare because the 1 has no letter assigned) and latitudes over 90 (back to one digit)). I see the leading zero in the longitudes below 100 only as a historic convention from the days where displays had to have fixed widths; nothing to take into account for this category. I just don't know how to deal with names that really start with a zero.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/26/2019 at 6:50 PM, ambegador said:

Stumbled across this game while logging a benchmark I saw at Stone Mountain, GA over Christmas I would like to play!! 

Just saw this post. I live near your Coordinates of N26 23.423. Looking at a map, the line is between the coast north of South Padre Island to just south of Roma, TX, where the coordinates are just inside Mexico. Most of the line area is farm land or brushy ranch land.

I don't have a Passport to get into Mexico so that's out.

Driving the beach 21 miles north of South Padre Island in my 2-wheel drive pickup is out also. I did it once and got stuck once. Got unstuck with some help from 3 men but swore I would never do it again.

I could get a photo of a wind farm with lots of wind generators located east of Highway 77, which is slowly turning into Interstate 69. Texas is the largest producer of wind generated electricity.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

I could get a photo of a wind farm with lots of wind generators located east of Highway 77, which is slowly turning into Interstate 69. Texas is the largest producer of wind generated electricity.

That would be great!  Whenever you can get to it.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't catalogue all the variances in the waymarks posted, but I did notice one accepted instance of decimal degrees instead of degrees, decimal minutes. Several where the user elected to only ask for a dd.mm match, even though the name was more than four digits. Acceptance of leading zeros & not just in the hundreds for lon. 

Perhaps the requirements section needs to be more specific and address these issues.  It provides guidance for names of five digits or less, but not more than five digits. Just because my name is nine digits, I have to be more precise in my waymark, but others don't? Ok, but spell it out, don't leave it to guesses. If I have to use seven digits, does it have to be the exact first seven, or is rounding to the seventh acceptable? Remember, we have to ask someone to do us a favor. They need to have a precise understanding of what we need for an acceptable waymark. I'd hate for someone to go to the effort to get to the coordinates, get & send me pictures, only to be told it was a waste of time.

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone know anything about sending messages via user's Waymarking profile? I tried sending a message to tofixe that I found a spot with his coordinates, but the copy I received from Waymarking said the email was sent to me, not tofixe. May explain why I'm not getting any responses to my requests via Waymarking.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, ambegador said:

Does anyone know anything about sending messages via user's Waymarking profile? I tried sending a message to tofixe that I found a spot with his coordinates, but the copy I received from Waymarking said the email was sent to me, not tofixe. May explain why I'm not getting any responses to my requests via Waymarking.

there is a checkbox when sending those emails to send yourself a copy. Is that what you are seeing?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, vulture1957 said:

there is a checkbox when sending those emails to send yourself a copy. Is that what you are seeing?

No. Both the subject line and body of email reflect it is being sent to me.

 

"[WMK] (Copy) ambegador is contacting you from Waymarking.com"

 

"[This is a copy of the email sent to ambegador]"

 

Nothing to indicate it was sent to my intended recipient. Making me wonder if they are being received. Especially since I haven't received any replies. 

Share this post


Link to post

that is what you will see when you have the system send you a copy of the email. It is pretty vague about who it was originally sent to. but if you got your copy, I'm guessing the other person got their message, too.

if you want, you can send me a message and I can verify that the emails are in fact going out.

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/9/2020 at 11:15 AM, vulture1957 said:

that is what you will see when you have the system send you a copy of the email. It is pretty vague about who it was originally sent to. but if you got your copy, I'm guessing the other person got their message, too.

if you want, you can send me a message and I can verify that the emails are in fact going out.

Not getting notified of posts to this thread despite following it, so I just saw this today.  Vulture1957, I sent you a message from your Waymarking profile.

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/27/2019 at 3:05 AM, Max and 99 said:

Just to clarify: you'll be the one making the waymark for your converted   name.

Don't forget this part, as mentioned earlier. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ambegador said:

Not getting notified of posts to this thread despite following it, so I just saw this today.  Vulture1957, I sent you a message from your Waymarking profile.

got it, and responded.

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

got it, and responded.

Thanks!  that cleared up my question.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

Don't forget this part, as mentioned earlier. 

Thanks for the reminder/clarification. In a quick read through I saw at least two approved waymarks where the poster's name did not match the player's:

https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/wmCH93_NTR0_N_61_deg_270_Srkijrvi_Beach_Hervanta_Tampere_Finland
https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/wmF114_DLB67_N_35_267_Rose_State_College_Midwest_City_Oklahoma

of course, these were approved years ago, by a different reviewer.

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, ambegador said:

Thanks for the reminder/clarification. In a quick read through I saw at least two approved waymarks where the poster's name did not match the player's:

https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/wmCH93_NTR0_N_61_deg_270_Srkijrvi_Beach_Hervanta_Tampere_Finland
https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/wmF114_DLB67_N_35_267_Rose_State_College_Midwest_City_Oklahoma

of course, these were approved years ago, by a different reviewer.

I can tell you with almost certainty that their name was changed at some point after the waymark was created. 

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, ambegador said:

Thanks for the reminder/clarification. In a quick read through I saw at least two approved waymarks where the poster's name did not match the player's:

https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/wmCH93_NTR0_N_61_deg_270_Srkijrvi_Beach_Hervanta_Tampere_Finland
https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/wmF114_DLB67_N_35_267_Rose_State_College_Midwest_City_Oklahoma

of course, these were approved years ago, by a different reviewer.

looks like DLB67  changed his name to BIO-HZRD. probably same with N!TRO

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I can tell you with almost certainty that their name was changed at some point after the waymark was created. 

Confirmed with DLB67.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/26/2019 at 8:07 PM, Max and 99 said:

I have an idea of someone who might be able to help! When you are on that category in Waymarking, change the search parameters at the top for waymarks in Florida. If you have trouble send me a PM.

BoomersOTR would be close. There are a couple places in Bonita Beach that would work.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, I guess you're never too old to learn new stuff. I just finally figured out how to find geocachers in an area. Found one in Biloxi MS that is willing to work on a "Where's In A Name". And now I'm working on another in southern Illinois. Wisconsin will be next.

Share this post


Link to post

and it's working. Got 2 folks that said they'll go look for pictures. And one is in southeast Wisconsin, and I'm seeing if she'd like to do the ISS Sighting on the 15th.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3

×
×
  • Create New...