Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jayeffel

Trackable

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

When you take a Trackable to a cache and drop it how do you record the action? I know how to do it, but do you show you visited it then dropped it or just drop.

 

I meant to do the visit then drop but my fingers were to quick and I only recorded a drop at that cache. I know it is only a number and that the trackable is back in play. Just curious what others do. 

 

TBs: <tracking codes removed by moderator>-- yeh, I had some too long! Many caches were too small for any, but I kept forgetting to carry then with me went I left the car. I havet one more to move on, soon.

 

 

I just went back to remove TG codes, wasn't thinking when I put them on . See they were removed ed, thanks,

Edited by Jayeffel
Trackable codes removed from post

Share this post


Link to post

I either visit the trackable or I drop the trackable. I don't do both.

 

Before the visit log existed, people would drop a trackable (e.g., in a cache that met the trackable's goal) and then grab the trackable again (e.g., because it didn't actually fit in the cache in question). Think of a visit that way, as a drop followed by an automatic grab. And use it only when it makes sense based on the trackable's goal.

Share this post


Link to post

I moved this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, niraD said:

I either visit the trackable or I drop the trackable. I don't do both.

 

Before the visit log existed, people would drop a trackable (e.g., in a cache that met the trackable's goal) and then grab the trackable again (e.g., because it didn't actually fit in the cache in question). Think of a visit that way, as a drop followed by an automatic grab. And use it only when it makes sense based on the trackable's goal.

Sounds right, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post

The Help Center says to  Drop, you leave the trackable in a geocache.  

To Visit, take a trackable to a cache but keep it with you when you leave.

If you're gonna stay, you're not visiting...  :)

 

I Retrieve and Drop some, lately Discover most.  I "Visited" a micro once when I held a trackable longer than two weeks.  

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think I've ever logged a Discovered. If there's a trackable there I'll Retrieve and move it along.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Jayeffel said:

 I havet one more to move on, soon.

 

Curious, during the six months you've held that person's trackable, did you keep them updated ?   "Visit" logs don't give notifications. 

Thanks.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

 

Curious, during the six months you've held that person's trackable, did you keep them updated ?   "Visit" logs don't give notifications. 

Thanks.  :)

During that time frame  when I found a cache I visited each TB. A few TB's cannot be moved on- one a decal on the vehicle, and another a TB on a shirt. Two others are TB coins from Geocaching Headquarters. I may have missed recording a few caches. Several times when I was going to move them on all I found were nanos etc.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Jayeffel said:

During that time frame  when I found a cache I visited each TB. A few TB's cannot be moved on- one a decal on the vehicle, and another a TB on a shirt. Two others are TB coins from Geocaching Headquarters. I may have missed recording a few caches. Several times when I was going to move them on all I found were nanos etc.

 

I'm not sure what all that has to do with anything, but maybe you missed the part about ""Visit" logs don't give notifications. " 

Did you keep the TO updated on  Land Mark Trackable ?  

I simply asked if you mentioned why you're holding another's property so long to them.   :)

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

 

I'm not sure what all that has to do with anything, but maybe you missed the part about ""Visit" logs don't give notifications. " 

Did you keep the TO updated on  Land Mark Trackable ?  

I simply asked if you mentioned why you're holding another's property so long to them.   :)

OK I though you meant did I keep the TB's updated as to what was going on. And no I didn't;t miss that- but until that was mentioned I figured a visit would be anytime the TB was at the cache, Now I have better guidelines. And I never heard of Land Mark Trackable-- something else to use now.,

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Jayeffel said:

OK I though you meant did I keep the TB's updated as to what was going on. And no I didn't;t miss that- but until that was mentioned I figured a visit would be anytime the TB was at the cache, Now I have better guidelines. And I never heard of Land Mark Trackable-- something else to use now.,

Did not realize that was a name of one of the TBs I have presently - the one to be dropped soon. It shows on its record I still have it and it was visited at a Gettysburg cache. 

Edited by Jayeffel

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

 

I'm not sure what all that has to do with anything, but maybe you missed the part about ""Visit" logs don't give notifications. " 

Did you keep the TO updated on  Land Mark Trackable ?  

I simply asked if you mentioned why you're holding another's property so long to them.   :)

I was surprised by the number of cachers I've crossed paths with over the last 6-8 months that thought this was the way the trackable game was played, hold on to it as long as you want as long as you log visits, most said it was the way "someone" told them the game was played. I added a link to the trackable guidelines on all my trackable pages at least a year ago but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, 31BMSG said:

I was surprised by the number of cachers I've crossed paths with over the last 6-8 months that thought this was the way the trackable game was played, hold on to it as long as you want as long as you log visits, most said it was the way "someone" told them the game was played. I added a link to the trackable guidelines on all my trackable pages at least a year ago but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

Agreed.

On trackables, I feel "Visit" was probably the worst idea.   The site says folks asked for it (to make drop/retrieve on multiple caches easier).

We haven't met anyone who knows of anyone that ever asked for that, so maybe it was only asked for in one specific area.   :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:46 AM, cerberus1 said:

On trackables, I feel "Visit" was probably the worst idea.   The site says folks asked for it (to make drop/retrieve on multiple caches easier).

 

Turns out, even Batman applies a little manual correction when it comes to Trackables.

 

BATMAN-CACHINGc9.jpg

 

 

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

×