Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Red90

GPSMAP 64 (WebUpdater) software version 5.20 (March 07, 2019)

Recommended Posts

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=6805

Quote

Changes made from version 5.10 to 5.20:

  • Fixed possible issues with Borneo RSO position format.
  • Fixed issue where Basecamp could not import GPX files that were wirelessly transferred to the device.

 

So, first a 64 does not have any wireless capability....  That aside, if we were talking about a 64S or 64SC, there is no way currently to transfer a GPX file to the devices, is there?

 

Share this post


Link to post

Could they be referring to the "Share Wirelessly" feature (which I believe is ANT+ based)? This is separate from the wi-fi connection capabilities of more recent models.

Share this post


Link to post

They 64S and SC have bluetooth as well as ANT+.  The 64 has nothing.  When they were released, they had an app called Basecamp Mobile which had limited data transfer capability.  Since then, the only app that connects wirelessly is Connect.  It can offload information, but has no ability to send information to the GPS (AFAIK).

 

The units have the hardware to allow wireless data transfer, there is just no software.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Red90 said:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=6805

 

So, first a 64 does not have any wireless capability....  That aside, if we were talking about a 64S or 64SC, there is no way currently to transfer a GPX file to the devices, is there?

 

 

1 hour ago, Moun10Bike said:

Could they be referring to the "Share Wirelessly" feature (which I believe is ANT+ based)? This is separate from the wi-fi connection capabilities of more recent models.

 

28 minutes ago, Red90 said:

They 64S and SC have bluetooth as well as ANT+.  The 64 has nothing.  When they were released, they had an app called Basecamp Mobile which had limited data transfer capability.  Since then, the only app that connects wirelessly is Connect.  It can offload information, but has no ability to send information to the GPS (AFAIK).

 

The units have the hardware to allow wireless data transfer, there is just no software.

 

The GPSMAP 64, 64s, and 64st all use the same firmware file. Of course, the 64 has no wireless capability, thus this does not affect those units for wirelessly transferred data. But the 64s and 64st do have the Share Wirelessly application.

 

There was also a simultaneous update for the GPSMAP 64sc, which also has Share Wirelessly capabilities.

 

GPSrChive > GPSMAP 64 > Firmware

 

GPSrChive > GPSMAP 64 > Function > {model} > Pages

 

GPSrChive > GPSMAP 64 > Garmin Video > GPSMAP 64: Wireless Data Transfer

 

Edited by Atlas Cached

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, but there is no way to wirelessly transfer a GPX file, so what are they fixing?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Red90 said:

Yes, but there is no way to wirelessly transfer a GPX file, so what are they fixing?

 

Geocaches, waypoints, tracks, and routes all transfer as *.gpx files.....

Share this post


Link to post

My guess is data transferred via share wirelessly was not readable by Basecamp in some cases.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Mineral2 said:

My guess is data transferred via share wirelessly was not readable by Basecamp in some cases.

 

That is exactly correct!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Okay

Edited by Red90

Share this post


Link to post

So I checked and the update does not fix the problem with Basecamp reading the files.  The files that are stored from the wireless transfers are no different before and after the update.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Red90 said:

So I checked and the update does not fix the problem with Basecamp reading the files.  The files that are stored from the wireless transfers are no different before and after the update.

 

Did you delete and re-send those GPX files to the GPSMAP 64 from another Garmin GPSr via Share Wirelessly?

Share this post


Link to post

Yes.  Did the test before updating the 64S.  Verified Basecamp would not open the waypoint.  Deleted it.  Updated.  Did it all again.  The GPX files are identical and Basecamp is just as unable to open them.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

So.  I played with the GPX file and it is the web link in the waypoint that is causing problems with Basecamp.  Remove the link and it opens.  Interestingly, if I try to add a Web Link to a waypoint in Basecamp, it crashes...

 

Some more playing.  After you try and import a bad file, you need to reboot the computer for Basecamp and Mapsource to work properly again.  Anyway, the 64S is saving the web link incorrectly.  It is using <url></url> which is not valid in GPX.

Edited by Red90

Share this post


Link to post

So I tried going the other direction and I can't get it to successfully send a waypoint...and it crashes half the time trying. 

Share this post


Link to post

If it is just a regular waypoint, it works.  A waypoint with a web link like a child waypoint does not work.  Tracks and Geocaches seem fine.  So maybe they fixed something, but not everything.

 

As stated, I now can't send anything with the 64S.  You would think the programmers could spend ten minutes testing the firmware....

Share this post


Link to post

So I checked the other handhelds I have around, Colorado 300 and Etrex 30X.  Child waypoints received are the same with the same <url> problem that won't open in Basecamp.  I assume then that all Garmins have the same programming error.  At least both of them send and receive without crashing....

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, Red90 said:

If it is just a regular waypoint, it works.  A waypoint with a web link like a child waypoint does not work.  Tracks and Geocaches seem fine.  So maybe they fixed something, but not everything.

 

As stated, I now can't send anything with the 64S.  You would think the programmers could spend ten minutes testing the firmware....

 

Did your GPSMAP 64s also crash after the 'Send' failed?

 

My 64sc is doing the same thing.

 

Oh, and if you see Garmin Express tell you there is a GPS Chipset Type M5 (1621) Update for your GPSMAP 64s, Do Not Allow It!

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Did your GPSMAP 64s also crash after the 'Send' failed?

 

Yes, not all of the time, probably half the time.

Share this post


Link to post

Is there anyone how has Garmin Basecamp Mobile .ipa file for IOS? I need that but since Garmin discontinued that development I can't find it anywhere... 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2

×