Has anyone else ever done this?

dasein

Doug and I and knighttemplar spent several days camping out in Central Oregon this weekend. We placed 2 caches while out there. I just went to submit them, when I discovered that I didn't have the coordinates for one! I'm SURE I marked the spot! How disappointing! It was also my favorite of the two. Well, Doug and I are going to go back out this weekend and get the coords. But I am bummed. Anything like this ever happen to you?

Your advice requested: we DO have the coordinates for the 2nd cache we placed, but the caches are only a few miles apart. Should we hold off on submitting the 2nd cache until we have the coord's for the 1st? We don't want to tick anyone off by submitting one now, then another next weekend, especially when they are fairly close to one another, and caches in that area tend to be pretty spread out, anyway.

--laurak

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

quote:
Originally posted by pdxmarathonman:

submit #2 with a note in the description that the other is on the way...

Sounds like a good idea to me. That way people can get the one and go back out and get the other one or wait and get both.

quote:
Anything like this ever happen to you?

Well, don't tell anyone, but I once got so distracted locating a good hiding place and taking coordinates that I forgot to leave the container and had to return before it was approved. Fortunately, it was only a mile from home.

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

Or you could send me a detailed as possible description of the area and I could go get the numbers for you. Save you a trip and all.

logscaler.

Thanks for the generous offer, logscaler, but we're looking forward to going back. This weekend is our anniversary anyway, and we'll make it an overnight trip and also find a couple more caches while out there.

What do Central OR folks think?: Submit one cache now, or wait until the weekend to submit both?

--laurak

Well Dasein...

I thought I was the only one that pulls bonehead moves like that. icon_smile.gif

If you post the first cache but just put a note saying that there will be another one shortly, those who are just into getting a cache TODAY will at least KNOW that there will be another one there in a week or so.

We unfortunately did this little dirty trick to logscaler and red, not meaning to, but when we did our two caches in the John Day Fossil Beds, we spent so much time building the pages that the first one was approved...logscaler was off and running, and the second one got approved while he was out in the wild. He could have hit both. I think his irritation was fleeting, but I understood his point. We all watch our fuel gage on our georigs and try to plan our trips based on what caches are available. It is always heart breaking when you return home from a caching binge and there are new caches along the way that you didn't know about until you got home.

Still considering that laptop idea. Seems it would save some grief. But I know very little about wireless modems and access..and I would want to be able to get online at least wherever we spend the night. Anybody do this? What setup do you have?

WARNING: I cannot be responsible for the above, as apparently my cats have learned how to type.

Thanks to everyone for the input so far. Since we'll be back out there in just 2 days now, we'll wait and submit them together (on Sunday) for approval. Hopefully you'll see them pop up on your lists shortly after...

--laurak

quote:
Originally posted by Zzzoey:

Still considering that laptop idea. Seems it would save some grief. But I know very little about wireless modems and access..and I would want to be able to get online at least wherever we spend the night. Anybody do this? What setup do you have?

I looked into this a year ago and there were no useful wireless data services in Central Oregon. Even where service was available, the coverage was spotty, the data rates low (less than 14.4k), and the plans expensive. Maybe the local wireless providers have improved since then but, given the economy, I doubt it.

New high-speed wireless data systems are evidently being installed some places but I'd guess it will be awhile before we see anything. There are also web-capable phones and PDA's but their suitability for geocaching is doubtful. Heck, I haven't even been able to confidently use the downloaded Mobipocket cache descriptions on my Palm computer; they are just too hard to read and there is a limit to how many gadgets I can fiddle with in the field!

Probably the best we can do right now is to work as teams with a base station where there is a high-speed internet connection, and use cell phone messaging to the people out in the field. Even then, cell phone reception is spotty in rural areas and message length is limited (something like 150 characters). Do you carry a cell phone with messaging?

Thanks Eddy for the info. We have a regular old cell phone, which we never even turn on. Really it is only useful to us on long trips when we need to reserve a room or let family know we are delayed. I have looked at laptops for a while, but they are more expensive than desktops, and there is ALWAYS a need to upgrade my desktop, or my camera, or whatever.. hehe

How about using the high speed lines in motel rooms? Has anyone done that? I am assuming it is an ethernet connection of some sort. We sometimes see motel rooms advertised with that. We even tried to stay at a place in Utah where they had computers with internet access near the front desk for guests to use, which would have been great! But alas, they don't take Barney dogs. Argh! If it isn't one thing, it's your mother!

icon_wink.gif

WARNING: I cannot be responsible for the above, as apparently my cats have learned how to type.

quote:

<snip>

...How about using the high speed lines in motel rooms? Has anyone done that? I am assuming it is an ethernet connection of some sort. We sometimes see motel rooms advertised with that. We even tried to stay at a place in Utah where they had computers with internet access near the front desk for guests to use, which would have been great! But alas, they don't take Barney dogs. Argh! If it isn't one thing, it's your mother!

Wander Lost & I use AT&T broadband for our home computer, but we also pay a nominal fee(@ $10.- for 30 days) to have access via their dial-up service. This allows us to connect to the internet just about anywhere we go, and all we have to do is unplug the hotel phone and plug in our laptop.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erat,

tum soli proscript catapultas habeunt.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:

How about using the high speed lines in motel rooms? Has anyone done that? I am assuming it is an ethernet connection of some sort. We sometimes see motel rooms advertised with that. We even tried to stay at a place in Utah where they had computers with internet access near the front desk for guests to use, which would have been great!

I've used in-room ethernet, in-room dial-up, and wireless local area networks with varied results. It can be expensive: $10 a day for ethernet or wireless, perhaps $2+ a call for dial-up.

However, we generally stay in B&Bs if we aren't camping and most of those seem to have a computer hooked up to the internet that they will let you use for free. Throw in a great breakfast and a B&B is hard to beat.

And, yes, laptops are expensive for what you get but the convenience is habit forming. I've got a wireless network at home so I can work in any room or even on the porch outside. On trips I can just plug the camera in, download a hundred photos, and work on them in the car.

I haven't used the laptop for navigating and cache hunts like Logscaler & Red do, but that's another potential use.

Woo-hoo, our 3 "Green Ridge" caches have been submitted and approved in just a few hours! They are an effort at thanking all Central Oregon folks for sharing with us such wonderful areas. We hope you enjoy these, too (but remember that we are mere wet-siders...). Sure wish we could visit you every weekend! We will be back this summer for certain!

T-Mobile is the ISP for Starbucks coffee houses.Many of them offer wireless access. The Service cost $50.00 a month no contract, $30.00 a month with a one year contract. I also read that if you have T-mobile Cell phone service you can soon get the wirless service added to the bill for $20.00 a month. T-Mobile also offers the Sidekick, A web ready phone (no WAP). A cacher in my area uses one, and logs his finds from the cache. As mentioned many Broadband companys offer dial up service at little or no charge. And if you have cell phone capable of using AIM, you can message Geocacherhelp.

Sorry for posting off topic, just trying to be helpful.

Better to cache alone, then not at all.