Same Day Logs

Hi, over the years i've read some on this discussion but have a question...

We just received a number of same day logs on some of our different caches. Turns out this user has posted to 406 caches today, from here (in California) to Turkey.

Can the reason be, maybe, that he’s split from a duel user name and he wants to post old finds under the new name?

No physical logs, we don't want to delete finds if there is a reason for this.

30 minutes ago, ScurvyPlunderers said:

Hi, over the years i've read some on this discussion but have a question...

We just received a number of same day logs on some of our different caches. Turns out this user has posted to 406 caches today, from here (in California) to Turkey.

Can the reason be, maybe, that he’s split from a duel user name and he wants to post old finds under the new name?

No physical logs, we don't want to delete finds if there is a reason for this.

Not from California to Turkey, in California and Turkey, including an event in each location.  But the events were not held today, or on the same date.  I'd ask; if no response within a few days, I'd delete.

Without checking whether all the CA finds were in one area or all over the state, it does seem odd that there are no archived caches among them.  

2 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

Looks a little suspicious.  They’ve logged a meet and greet event which, according to the organiser, nobody else attended!

https://coord.info/GC7Y6MA

I'd definitely send a message...

But the food was delicious.

Agree with nancycle, "Delicious food " and this date on both events kinda tells me that they're bored today.

406 caches in two countries, and the days not over yet sorta seals it.   

"Never" listed for last visiting the site,  so good you covered both bases  (email and mc).

By souvenirs, maybe thought it'd be fun being a  "Caching Connoisseur"  for at least the day.          :D   

Edited by cerberus1
had a duh moment...
2 hours ago, ScurvyPlunderers said:

I agree, it does seem odd that someone opened an account in '15 and just started posting "old finds" today.

- But some of those caches were placed just this month, so you'd think they'd be on that '15 account.

Please come back if you find out.     :)

Will do on the post if I hear back or not.

You all looked deeper than me, but I noticed in scrolling his logs this am that a whole page is on one CO. So a lot of CO's are getting multiple emails today. Be interesting to see if the 406 starts going down, down, down.

Still going up--he's added some in Greece.

7 hours ago, NanCycle said:

delicious

The CO wrote, " It was my first cache in Turkey and first created event cache in obroad. I feeled a bit disapointed, because nobody elese didnt come, but everything ok. "

English is not their first language, but you get the idea. No-one else turned up.

Delete, delete, delete...

So...my email/message was about his reasoning for these multiple same day entries and why I find no physical log entries. His answer; "Hello". My reply was a little shorter asking again why we find no log sign-in's. His reply; "I’m teaching at my friends account then I will remove cache log sheet". I then contacted HQ, outlined the situation, and asked how these fraudulent entries can be stopped. I told them 466 entries is an awful lot of teaching.

You don't "teach" live on-line, like all of us you read the rules and go out and play.

All not funny, but maybe a story you can tell other users about. I've never read about something done to this extent before.

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, ScurvyPlunderers said:

So...my email/message was about his reasoning for these multiple same day entries and why I find no physical log entries. His answer; "Hello". My reply was a little shorter asking again why we find no log sign-in's. His reply; "I’m teaching at my friends account then I will remove cache log sheet". I then contacted HQ, outlined the situation, and asked how these fraudulent entries can be stopped. I told them 466 entries is an awful lot of teaching.

You don't "teach" live on-line, like all of us you read the rules and go out and play.

All not funny, but maybe a story you can tell other users about. I've never read about something done to this extent before.

Start deleting. Don't wait.

45 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

And advise the other COs that there is a problem.

I did that when an armchair logger came through my area, but although several COs then deleted the logs, it's amazing how many other COs won't delete. When I mentioned this to another geocacher they replied, "They don't want to upset anyone." To which I replied, "By not wanting to upset anyone, they are upsetting others. Other geocachers who don't like armchair loggers." Plus it can ruin a cache for a challenge, such as find so many caches not found for 6 months. Logged (even though falsely), it can't easily be used.

Well, after no answer or action taken by Groundspeak HQ from Saturday through today, I just deleted the ones on our caches. So much for a help request. There couldn't have been a more blatant example of fraudulent logs for them to work with.

I need to correct the above. There was an un-noticed response to my HQ email that showed in a string format... They did respond to me by name and thanked me for bringing the matter to their attention and that it would be dealt with appropriately.

I do thank Groundspeak HQ for this.

Edited by ScurvyPlunderers
  • Upvote 1

Well, after no answer or action taken by Groundspeak HQ from Saturday through today, I just deleted the ones on our caches. So much for a help request. There couldn't have been a more blatant example of fraudulent logs for them to work with.

Just because you didn't hear back details does not mean that nothing was done in response to your request. 

It was fine for you to delete logs that you believe to be bogus.  In the first instance it is a cache owner's prerogative to monitor their cache logs.

• Upvote 3