Connecting/Linking Accounts

Teejaye

Hi, we are a family of six; my husband, myself and our four children - aged 8-14. We each have an account with geocaching.com and we have paid for one premium account. I would like to see the ability to link accounts in a couple of ways:

1) When 'friends' (all of us are 'friends' on GC.com) go caching together, an option to include others (facebook calls this tagging) in your post. For us, this would mean that one person could log the visit and it would show up for all of us rather than each of us logging in to log the same cache. For example: 10 logs in one day currently means six of us logging in one after the other = 60 separate logs, if we could 'tag' one another, then 10 caches would equal 10 logs all including each of the six of us.

2) We have a premium account on one of our accounts (my husband's) so we can find premium caches but currently we have to use the id code given after he logs the cache in order for the rest of us to log that same cache. It would be nice if families could all be included under one premium account.  We all live in the same house and we can't afford 6 premium accounts (nor do I think this should be necessary). I know some families choose to have just one family account but we don't always all go out caching together so we like having the separate accounts so we can each log our own caching history.

1 hour ago, Teejaye said:

Hi, we are a family of six; my husband, myself and our four children - aged 8-14. We each have an account with geocaching.com and we have paid for one premium account. I would like to see the ability to link accounts in a couple of ways:

1) When 'friends' (all of us are 'friends' on GC.com) go caching together, an option to include others (facebook calls this tagging) in your post. For us, this would mean that one person could log the visit and it would show up for all of us rather than each of us logging in to log the same cache. For example: 10 logs in one day currently means six of us logging in one after the other = 60 separate logs, if we could 'tag' one another, then 10 caches would equal 10 logs all including each of the six of us.

2) We have a premium account on one of our accounts (my husband's) so we can find premium caches but currently we have to use the id code given after he logs the cache in order for the rest of us to log that same cache. It would be nice if families could all be included under one premium account.  We all live in the same house and we can't afford 6 premium accounts (nor do I think this should be necessary). I know some families choose to have just one family account but we don't always all go out caching together so we like having the separate accounts so we can each log our own caching history.

I see your point, but IMO it is good practice for your children to be writing their own logs.  If 10 logs in a day is too much for them, maybe you could do fewer caches and find other learning experiences along the way.

• Upvote 4

I log for my three sons too.  I don't mind logging for each of them as I generally do a separate log for each child that is copied and pasted with small changes for each cache.  Then do a long more personalised log for my own.
I would love for it to be easier to log pm caches for them because for a while it was not working for me, though I have been told recently that I shouldn't have any problems with how I used to do it so will have to try again.  Generally if I am out with them I try to avoid PM caches which is getting harder and harder to do.
I pay because I want access to the extra services, such as pq's, and will never make my caches PM.  If I want to limit visitors I make them multi or puzzle caches.

On 9/18/2018 at 12:58 PM, Teejaye said:

It would be nice if families could all be included under one premium account.

Imagine how many people would suddenly have 'family members'.  It's just not practical.  There is no way, without an invasion of privacy, for GS to confirm what accounts are in the same 'family'.  And if it's based on the honor system, as much of this hobby is, then there will no doubt be plenty of cachers that misrepresent their familial connections to avoid paying.

• Upvote 2
On 9/24/2018 at 1:36 AM, Kiwi Nomad said:

I log for my three sons too.  I don't mind logging for each of them as I generally do a separate log for each child that is copied and pasted with small changes for each cache.  Then do a long more personalised log for my own.
I would love for it to be easier to log pm caches for them because for a while it was not working for me, though I have been told recently that I shouldn't have any problems with how I used to do it so will have to try again.  Generally if I am out with them I try to avoid PM caches which is getting harder and harder to do.
I pay because I want access to the extra services, such as pq's, and will never make my caches PM.  If I want to limit visitors I make them multi or puzzle caches.

I just log our family as one account and end the online log to indicate which third(s) of the team geocached that day.  But then my daughter is five and can't have her own account anyway.

In case she is interested in starting her own membership in nine years, I visit her geocoin to every cache we find with her so she can keep track.

As far as basic members logging PM caches, there are multiple ways to do it.  Just do a quick forum search and then use the technique that's easiest for you.