I’m new and Confused, help please

Vampiress

I’m new to this and thought this might be really fun. I don’t go anywhere or hardly leave the house. I cannot work any more due to medical issues. I thought geocaching might make me get up, get out and get some very much needed exercise!! 

I clicked the tab to find a cache.  I did a search in my area for a cache close to me using my zip code. I got a list. I found one so close, I can walk, which is much needed. I live in a golf community and there are 3 or 4 hidden in or next to the golf course. I clicked to open this cache information, and I can read everyone’s post or comment they had found it. But there is no where that I can leave a comment when I find it to the owner. There is no button to comment etc... so how do I leave a smiley and comment that I found it to? It’s an old cache from 2010, but someone just found it a few weeks ago, and it’s obviously so close, I thought this might be a good first start for me. 

I want to play, but I don’t understand how this web site helps me by logging my finds. Or leave comments on each cache that I find. I’m confused. I’ve been at this website for a few hours, it doesn’t seem to be very user friendly for newbies. There isn’t really any explanation or help of this website for newbies, how to get started from the very bottom. Yes I’m reading the forum but not much help for using this site for newbies. 

I haven’t even set up my member info yet, not even a picture. (I might have by the time you read this). 

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Vampiress said:

I’m confused. I’ve been at this website for a few hours, it doesn’t seem to be very user friendly for newbies. There isn’t really any explanation or help of this website for newbies, how to get started from the very bottom. Yes I’m reading the forum but not much help for using this site for newbies. 

Really ? 

Did you take a look at Geocaching 101 (the basics) ?  That's usually (or used to be...) one of the first items presented to new cachers.  

On Geocaching 101, what's listed in the second sentence is the Help Center, and the first section in the Help Center is "For the new geocacher" .

- But you did enter here, so you're off to a good start.   :)   Good luck.

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

Thank you so much everyone!! I found it... yeah! Sorry if it was a dumb question. I just got the Cachly app. It’s confusing in a way, I guess because again, I’m brand new. 

I really cant wait to get started but my area has been getting rain everyday all day, so it’s going to be a challenge to do this.

4 hours ago, Vampiress said:

Thank you so much everyone!! I found it... yeah! Sorry if it was a dumb question. I just got the Cachly app. It’s confusing in a way, I guess because again, I’m brand new. 

I really cant wait to get started but my area has been getting rain everyday all day, so it’s going to be a challenge to do this.

And always carry a pen or three

5 hours ago, Vampiress said:

There is no such thing as dumb questions. If that app does not work for you give the Groundspeak Geocaching app. They are the ones that run the web site. Never used Cachly but a lot of folks do so figure out your preference.

The extra pens are a great suggestion they always go missing, get dropped. Next advice, you can not find them all, but I'm definitely trying I'm kind of addicted to it. Also there is no competition except with yourself so make sure you are having fun doing it.  Hopefully someone in your area will read this and meet up with you to show you the ropes or see if there is an event nearby you can attend. 

• Upvote 1