Probably a Dumb Question...

AkitaDad & AkitaMom

"Aliens"... "geomuggles"... I have to grin at this.

See, I hang with a science fiction crowd, and in THAT subculture, outsiders are called "mundanes". icon_smile.gif

Come hang out at a science fiction convention (a REAL fan-organized event, not some Trek CreationCon for-profit thing, thank you) and you may find some SF fans playing "freak the mundanes".

This is a game which consists of cruising the "real" world just outside the convention, say in a Safeway, in full costume, just to watch all the mundane brains grind to an incredulous halt... icon_wink.gif

-Elana (who never joined such a game, but has laughed her head off at some of the stories she has heard... like the time some clueless hotel just HAD to schedule a SF con at the same time as a baptist religous convention... there's an occasional debate as to who melted down first...)

"Defenestrate XP!"

quote:
Originally posted by falcospav:

See, I hang with a science fiction crowd, and in THAT subculture, outsiders are called "mundanes". icon_smile.gif

Come hang out at a science fiction convention (a REAL fan-organized event, not some Trek CreationCon for-profit thing, thank you) and you may find some SF fans playing "freak the mundanes".

"Mundanes" seems to have traveled to SF cons by way of the SCA attendees, most of whom can't distinguish between fact and fantasy... but that's another matter.

We like to call the CreationCons "Ferengi Cons." It fits well with Trek and for-profit. icon_biggrin.gif

When I say Aliens..... I mean A L I E N S.....

Check out:

Sluggo's UFO Cache

It's archived now, but as soon as they let me back in the area, I will re-activate it.

Gotta go! I heard (on the police scanner) that there was a UFO sighting near the Pacific Northwest National Loboratory (PNNL),

9617_300.jpg

I've been convinced for a long time that the flying saucers are real and interplanetary. In other words we are being watched by beings from outer space. -Albert M. Chop, NASA

quote:
Originally posted by Boojum:

"Mundanes" seems to have traveled to SF cons by way of the SCA attendees, most of whom can't distinguish between fact and fantasy... but that's another matter.

We like to call the CreationCons "Ferengi Cons." It fits well with Trek and for-profit. icon_biggrin.gif

You've got it backwards; 'mundane' was a term used by fen first. Since a great many of the early members of the SCA came from fandom, the adaptation of the term was a natural.

Incidently, I truly appreciate your kind way of insulting large groups of people, most of whom you cannot possibly have met.

Ron/yumitori, who has no trouble whatsoever distinguishing between reality and fantasy, thank you very much...

quote:
Originally posted by yumitori:

Incidently, I truly appreciate your kind way of insulting large groups of people, most of whom you cannot possibly have met.

Ron/yumitori, who has no trouble whatsoever distinguishing between reality and fantasy, thank you very much...

Oh sorry, I forgot to include that they have very little sense of humor.

icon_eek.gif

Ok, while most SCAers are actually pretty cool, there are those who take it waaay to seriously. Kingdoms where the king actually thinks he has absolute power, groups where women are treated very badly, and even groups who have slavery. And this is supposed to be fun for all???

quote:
Originally posted by Boojum:

Oh sorry, I forgot to include that they have very little sense of humor.

icon_eek.gif

Ok, while most SCAers are actually pretty cool, there are those who take it waaay to seriously. Kingdoms where the king actually thinks he has absolute power, groups where women are treated very badly, and even groups who have slavery. And this is supposed to be fun for all???

Yep, slandering individuals by saying they are mentally ill is always good, clean fun...

As for your accusations, if you have specific charges, feel free send me details off the forum. Members of the SCA are required to obey all appropriate laws, just as any organization is. Just as geocachers are. And we all know that no geocacher has ever broken local laws or regulations in the pursuit of the sport. Good thing; someone might be tempted to paint all cachers as scofflaws, due to a few bad apples.

Ron

Hey Ron... I was wondering, if you go geocaching in your SCA outfit, what century are you considered part of? *SMILE* I'm just joking, not being mean. Maybe we should have a costume party next Halloween!

Dean and I had a lot of fun the other night, too bad noone else showed up from MOOG. I'm heading towards a pizza party for our spike event, somewhere with lots of Muggles. icon_smile.gif

-Jen

Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else. (JM Barrie)

quote:
Originally posted by Trafcon:

Just researched it. Sounds out of my comfort zone. And the on-line store didn't even sell chasity belts. icon_biggrin.gif

KTF !!! GBWY !!!

Heh. Well, maybe. 'SCA' stands for lots of things, including ones that make most folks uncomfortable. What Boojum and I are making reference to is a group called the Society for Creative Anachronism (http://www.sca.org/). We study aspects of the Middle Ages that interest us personally and then recreate them at regular gatherings.

Since the SCA encourages a broad acceptance of individual effort, our resulting level of work vary from appropriate for a costume party (maybe) to museum quality. Some of our best folks are professional historians. Some of our worst qualify for Boojum's attacks. Of course, not everyone judges a group by their least accomplished members.

I guess I'm just more of a believer that 'the glass is half full'.

Ron/yumitori

quote:
Originally posted by yumitori:

Heh. Well, maybe. 'SCA' stands for lots of things, including ones that make most folks uncomfortable. What Boojum and I are making reference to is a group called the Society for Creative Anachronism ...

Hee hee. That's pretty funny, because I assumed the Trafcon was referring to the Society for Creative Anachronism when he said "out of my comfort zone"!

"Look, Daddy! That ammo can got up and walked away!"

"No dear, that's an SCA fellow. He's lost his other knights. Perhaps we should offer to help. I see he doesn't have a GPS receiver."

icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

- Seth!

(That was an attempt at humor. As in, laugh with, not at.)

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Given my one list that contains "extreme folks" like bass boat owners, NASCAR patrons that fly flags of their favorite driver, citizen militias, followers of the Bagwhan, and certain people with mullets....I put SCA folks on my other list.

I just think SCA folks are "quirky". Right there on the list with treker/trekies, Dutch oven cookers, cloggers, Greco-Roman wrestlers, Rocky Horror Picture show patrons, roller hocky players, and.....wait for it.......geocachers.

And, they would have used GPS in the middle ages if they could have gotten a big enough trebuchet to launch a satellite and the local alchemist to figure out how to build an integrated circuit.

Is it possible I could be Markwelled?