Waymarking Grid - Visited or Published?

I was clicking around on the "Waymarking Grid" and noticed something odd (why, yes, and on the Waymarking site...) If you click on a category where you have only visits, you get a list of your visits. But if you click on a category in which you have both visits and submitted waymarks, you get a list of ONLY your waymarks. So it looks like you can NOT see a list of your visits by clicking on the grid icon if you have also published in that category.

Indeed, I had not noticed that before.

But the grid has four views. The combined view, which is the default one, behaves as you noticed. When you switch to the visited (or posted) view then it works as expected and shows the correct list. So here you can see your visits by clicking on the icon. The fourth view with all icons will also display only visits.

A little more work (if clicking around qualifies as "work") confirms that:

"Combined Posted and Visited" shows you all of the icons for categories that you have visited or posted. Clicking on the icon behaves as described above: if you have only visits, you get the visits; if you have only posts, you get the posts; if you have both, you get ONLY the visits, not the combined list.

The other two work as expected.

4 hours ago, The Snowdog said:

A little more work (if clicking around qualifies as "work") confirms that:

"Combined Posted and Visited" shows you all of the icons for categories that you have visited or posted. Clicking on the icon behaves as described above: if you have only visits, you get the visits; if you have only posts, you get the posts; if you have both, you get ONLY the visits, not the combined list.

The other two work as expected.

When you have both, you get the posts, not the visits. (And - useless, but for completeness - if you have none, you get an empty visit list.)

Because this icon click is just a shortcut to a standard search you can also get somewhere else, I did not expect a combined list, since you can neither get a combined list somewhere else. These modifiers are exclusive, it would need a substantial change in the basic search architecture to change this. No way to see this happen.

On 7/22/2018 at 2:44 PM, fi67 said:

it would need a substantial change in the basic search architecture to change this...

Well, searching is pretty much nonexistent on the site anyway. You can't go more than two pages deep on much of anything; the controls just don't do anything. 

For me, the Waymarking search works quite well. The only real bug is that the two exclude (my posts and visits) boxes are ignored when you combine coordinates and categories.

The forum search is a different story, yes, that is absolutely useless. But the forum is third-party software, I don't see it as a core Waymarking feature or function.

Really? Waymarking visit search is broken in so many ways. 

Click on "My Visits." You can see the first two pages - and that is all. Clicking on the > and >> controls gets you no where.

Click on "Waymarks I've Visited." That one seems to work - but you can't sort it in any reasonable way! Alphabetical? By dates posted or approved? What good is that? How about by order found? No? Sorry, you can't have that.

There is no way to download a complete list of your visits (like the "My Finds" file for geocaching) so that you can parse through it yourself and figure out if you really have visited a waymark on every calendar date (since the "Visits for each day of the year" is actually "posts for each day of the year") or otherwise look through your visits.

In short it is well nigh impossible to get a complete list of your visits from the web site.

On 7/25/2018 at 12:39 PM, HockeyHiker19 said:

I am currently having issues with my category grid not showing some categories that I have logged as visited.  Some will show up on the grid and some do not.  I'm keeping track of what's not showing up, but I don't know why some newly logged ones appear on the grid and others don't.

Do you have an example?

3 hours ago, HockeyHiker19 said:

An example is WMM10A, which is in the category Epic Beings and Creatures (grid address L36).  My log and photo are on the WM's page, but it is not appearing on the category grid.

L36 missing.PNG

I cannot see a HockeyHiker19 visit to WMM10A, Althing Dragon.

Edited by elyob
  • Upvote 1

This is an awesome mystery.  When I view the visits in that waymark, I can see those visits by Metro2 and greysman and two more visits that are not in your screenshot.  

4/25/2017 JamesA60

7/15/2018 seapanda

Two visits you cannot see.  Your visit  I cannot see.

Edited by elyob