Requesting help for possible 5/5 mystery

Hey guys 

My area does not have any 5/5 caches, so I wanted to make one.

I have a pretty good idea for a cache but I’m not sure it’s “worthy” of the 5 star difficulty rating. I shared it with my brother (also a geocacher) and he solved it in about 20-30 minutes. On the other hand, I shared it with a couple of other geocaching friends and they were not even close to on the right track.

If you were willing to look at my mystery idea, I could message with you the posted coordinates, cache description, and hint text. Then you could try to solve it and give feedback on how difficult you think it is.

I realize I could make up the difference in the difficulty based on how tough the hide is. I’m still working on that part. I’m wondering how hard the puzzle part is.

4 hours ago, Korichnovui said:

When you look at a cache you see 5 terrain but no explanation of why it’s rated that way

Personally I don't really like this idea, say for example that the cache is up a tree

1. I'm not a great fan of puzzles but I do like tree climbing; so if the puzzle had the tree climbing attribute I might have a go at it, if it has no attribute then I might would ignore a cache that I might enjoy.

2. Someone who can't climb trees might devote a lot of time to solving the D5 puzzle, only to find the cache is up a tree which they can't do and may feel they've wasted their time solving the puzzle.

For me it's OK that you don't give any clues as to the type  hide on the page, but I would like to see the appropriate attributes assigned (>10km hike, tree climb, parking available, etc.)

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Korichnovui said:

I have a pretty good idea for a cache but I’m not sure it’s “worthy” of the 5 star difficulty rating. I shared it with my brother (also a geocacher) and he solved it in about 20-30 minutes. On the other hand, I shared it with a couple of other geocaching friends and they were not even close to on the right track.

I have lots of experience with difficult GC puzzles, both as a hider and a solver. And if there is one thing I have learned regarding D-levels, it's this: For (almost) any puzzle, there will be someone, who solves it relatively quickly, even if everyone else has no clue. Also, someone who knows you well (like your brother) usually has an intrinsic advantage. He knows your favorite topics, and you may even have dropped subtle hints on the puzzle without being aware of it. So your brother solving it in 20-30 minutes does not mean that the puzzle is "too easy for D5".

On the other hand, I think that with enough puzzle experience it is possible to give a rough(!) objective estimation of a suitable D-rating. So you best ask a "mystery geek" in your local community to help you with the puzzle (beta-testing and judging the difficulty).

8 hours ago, Korichnovui said:

I have a pretty good idea for a cache but I’m not sure it’s “worthy” of the 5 star difficulty rating. I shared it with my brother (also a geocacher) and he solved it in about 20-30 minutes.

One caution: Don't try to make an existing puzzle harder by removing information and hints that would help people figure out how to solve it. That just turns the puzzle into more of a "read my mind" puzzle, or what we call "moon logic" puzzles around here.

Instead, it would be better to layer the puzzle with additional puzzles or complications. The solution to one puzzle is another puzzle, which yields yet another puzzle, and so on.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Korichnovui said:

When you look at a cache you see 5 terrain but no explanation of why it’s rated that way

Once you solve the coordinates it would become clear, like the coordinates are right over a large tree, or in the water, or in a canyon or something

With all due respect, it's considered a courtesy to include any relevant information regarding the Terrain in my area.  For instance, if the cache required scuba skills/certification, I wouldn't even bother, as I have neither the knowledge or certification to complete the cache.

The other aspect I consider is whether the cache owner is actively engaged.  I'm not going to bother  with a high D/T cache that might require multiple trips, if the cache owner is not available or responsive to requests to confirm the cache placement.   While I don't mind a challenge, I do not like wasting my time on a hopeless enterprise.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Touchstone said:

With all due respect, it's considered a courtesy to include any relevant information regarding the Terrain in my area.  For instance, if the cache required scuba skills/certification, I wouldn't even bother, as I have neither the knowledge or certification to complete the cache.

The other aspect I consider is whether the cache owner is actively engaged.  I'm not going to bother  with a high D/T cache that might require multiple trips, if the cache owner is not available or responsive to requests to confirm the cache placement.   While I don't mind a challenge, I do not like wasting my time on a hopeless enterprise.

I really appreciate your (and earlier people’s comments) feedback and I'm considering how to apply this advice to my hide. I think that in this instance, those reading my description and hint, given the general area, will understand quickly why it is a terrain 5 without solving the mystery. But this is good advice to consider in the future, as well.

Edited by Korichnovui
  • Upvote 1

Thanks to everyone working on my puzzle (a few have PM'd without posting publicly here)

Even if you're stumped, it may be interesting/helpful to send a message about your thought process or ideas, not to try for a hint (though I can possibly nudge you a little if you want), but to help me gauge the difficulty