Padlock multi

Aer72

No reason not to do it, it's been done before. Be prepared for found logs from people who couldn't open the lock but feel entitled to the smiley [;)]. There's also the risk that some cachers might try and force the lock and thereby break it.

If you do list it as a multi then make sure you include the field puzzle attribute.

I would also advise you to make sure the lock is well maintained. I found one once where the lock had seized, I had to carry back to the car and drip a few drops of hot engine oil onto the combination tumblers to get them moving.

• Funny 1
54 minutes ago, aer72 said:

Advice.

Two of mine have combination locks, one of those is an alphabetical combination lock.  The combinations are an easy puzzle on the cache page.  I bought 2-packs of locks, so if one fails, I can switch to another without changing the "puzzle".  Combination locks can rust or freeze up surprisingly quickly.  You may have to check such a cache on a schedule.  Locks tend to require special lubrication, not necessarily "WD-40" or whatever is on hand, which could make the situation worse.

I would not use cheepie "suitcase locks" nor the kind where you can set a custom combination.  I've seen both kinds in the field, where the combination got messed up by previous finders.  As MartyBartfast says, yeah, the lock can't open, and the Found It smiley logs happen anyway.  A lot of cachers can't seem to work a combination lock.

I have found a couple of plastic lock box cache Finals where I couldn't figure out the puzzle for it.  But the new plastic box is very flexible.  You know, bendy enough to get the log book out, sign it and return it to the container, without unlocking it, and not causing any damage.  That flexible. :cute:

My third locking cache Stranger Finds has a puzzle box with a lock.  Finders must figure out the last two numbers of the lock "35-XX-XX" by working the puzzle in the field. 

All three locking caches are wooden birdhouses with hinged doors and a hasp for the lock (all screws sealed).  I also added eyelets to a couple of ammo boxes, mainly for hanging caches.  But they'd work pretty well for locking caches.

IMAG0833 (Copy).jpg

Edited by kunarion

Very late in the day to this thread, and probably too late to be of any help, but...

I have a multi (actually listed as a letterbox hybrid, but that discussion is for another thread):

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC5P723_v-valley-end-surrey-a-z

For this you collect the info, much as any other multi, to calculate the cache coords, but the info also gives the combination for the colour-coded lock.

On 30/03/2018 at 8:15 PM, arisoft said:
On 30/03/2018 at 6:18 PM, MartyBartfast said:

If you do list it as a multi then make sure you include the field puzzle attribute.

What part of the cache is the puzzle?

Getting into the cache container is a puzzle of sorts, so yes, I included the Field Puzzle attribute.

It’s not found very regularly, but people seem to like the twist in the tail.