Spaces in username

ivss_xx

There are plenty usernames with spaces out there. But when trying to change an username to get a space somewhere in-between it, to separate two words, I get a message: "ProfileViewModel is an invalid character"

Is space in usernames 'grandfathered', so to say? Or is there a trick to getting one?

5 hours ago, Ivars said:

Is space in usernames 'grandfathered', so to say?

Essentially, yes. New names with spaces (and certain other special characters) cannot be created.

And those who have such characters in their grandfathered names face a number of minor hassles from systems that don't handle them well.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Ivars said:

Is space in usernames 'grandfathered', so to say? Or is there a trick to getting one?

Yep.  Been this way for a while now. 

Some, when clicking on the username, still comes up a error.  IIRC it has to do with third-party software.  One member (has a "&" in their name) even has issues when clicking on his own profile.  :)

6 hours ago, Ivars said:

There are plenty usernames with spaces out there. But when trying to change an username to get a space somewhere in-between it, to separate two words, I get a message: "ProfileViewModel is an invalid character"

I tested it after a recent thread was started for a similar issue.  I got the error and couldn't figure out any trick to add a space between words.  The only thing that seemed to work OK was some creative capitalization.  For example, "LuckyJim2018".

My profile name is one uncommon word, all lowercase, eight characters, specifically because of systems that can't handle anything fancy.

Be careful about fiddling with usernames.  Once you set one up and then change it, you might not be able to select the old one again.

On 12/29/2017 at 11:22 AM, niraD said:

Essentially, yes. New names with spaces (and certain other special characters) cannot be created.

And those who have such characters in their grandfathered names face a number of minor hassles from systems that don't handle them well.

Hmm...I've never had any problems...that I'm aware of.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, J Grouchy said:

Hmm...I've never had any problems...that I'm aware of.

It's primarily the ampersand (&) that's currently causing issues with the site. I haven't heard of spaces being an issue for anyone. I have both a space and a hyphen, and haven't experienced any issues relating to my username. I'm fully aware, though, that my name is grandfathered and that I shouldn't play around with it or I may lose it.

• Upvote 1
On 12/29/2017 at 0:33 PM, kunarion said:

My profile name is one uncommon word, all lowercase, eight characters, specifically because of systems that can't handle anything fancy.

I see your eight lowercase characters and raise (lower?) you four.  :anibad:

That said, I was somehow able to give my sock account three spaces.  But I named it that back in 2012 or so.

On 1/6/2018 at 10:22 PM, The Snowdog said:

I was certainly amused (back in '06) that I could have a username with a space in it. Ain't ever gonna change it, either :)

It never occurred to me that there might be a problem.  Until I got into e-mail accounts.  The discussion boards that i have been in all allowed the space.

• Upvote 1