Deleting spoiler logs and photos....Banned?

31 minutes ago, justintim1999 said:

I read somewhere in the forums that, as a cache owner, if you delete too many logs and pictures that give away the location of your cache (spoilers),   you could banned from geocaching.

Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Isn't that interesting. :D That would not promote cache ownership, and I believe that the cache owners still have control over their listings. They belong to us, not the company.:)

I've never seen anything like that.

I have seen cache owners willingly archive their caches when Groundspeak restored logs that had been deleted because the CO didn't think they had been found "the right way". But that isn't really the same thing at all.

And I can imagine that Groundspeak might do something if they have to repeatedly restore logs that were erroneously deleted by the same CO. But that's pure speculation.

I know one possible case where it is sure that spoilers or inappropriate content were intentionally added and the CO was banned after deleting logs and images, but it is not known, is there any connection between these facts, as no explanation is available for banning - not even the banned CO does not know the reason. It is possible that the bullies had complained about something and managed to mislead the headquarters or it is something totally different and we will never know the truth.

Edited by arisoft
  • Upvote 1

Someone from Europe responded a while age that one could be banned for deleting logs, but I just considered it  off-topic to a post I made to another.

We haven't seen that ourselves...

Similar to niraD I guess,  we know of COs getting an email about their repeated deletion of logs in general.  Most we know of either got the message, or go into a hissy-fit and archive their hides after finding out ALRs aren't gonna happen.   :)

- But if a CO is deleting legit logs, I don't believe there'd be an issue with HQ, as that's part of maintenance .

• Upvote 3
4 hours ago, justintim1999 said:

I read somewhere in the forums that, as a cache owner, if you delete too many logs and pictures that give away the location of your cache (spoilers),   you could banned from geocaching.

I find that very unlikely. A ban almost certainly requires manual action by a Lackey, who I would have to assume would verify that a ban was justified before doing so. If they looked at the deleted images/logs (remember that HQ has access to these) and saw that they were indeed spoilers, I doubt that they would go ahead and ban the member anyway.

I agree with the others above that any such occurrences were probably for some other reason.

7 hours ago, justintim1999 said:

Citation please.  The only banning of members that I'm aware of, usually involved a willful and arrogant disregard for the Terms of Use of the site.  That's not to say that some log/photo deletions weren't involved in the sordid affair, but there's usually more to the story than your post implies.  In other words, it's never simple.

• Upvote 3
19 hours ago, justintim1999 said:

I suspect that it's not the number of logs deleted but the nature of the logs being deleted.  If the logs actually do contain spoilers a CO has the right to delete them.  If they started deleted logs which merely contained photos of the general area or in some way started to stretch the definition of a spoiler, and GS reinstates the log, perhaps with a reminded that they can't delete valid logs, and the CO continues to do so, that could lead to a ban.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I suspect that it's not the number of logs deleted but the nature of the logs being deleted.

In the case in know, there seems to be no way to get the reason as reviewers does not know and HQ does not answer. Only speculations are possible.

• Upvote 1