Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PISA-caching

Category monopoly in a country

6 posts in this topic

Whenever I post a waymark in a new category, I'm curious to see, if there are other waymarks of that category in that country. For example: Lately, I posted my first Junk Design House waymark and it was and still is the only one in Austria. And now I wanted to know, for how many other categories I have a "monopoly" in Austria or other countries. So far (= after checking the first 4 lines of the category grid) I learned that I have the only Garage Door Art, Pikachu Sightings, Suspension Bridges and Presidential Birthplaces waymarks in Austria and the only Holiday Displays waymark in Croatia. I'm sure that there are many more, but unfortunately, there is no easy way to get that kind of statistics (or at least I don't know how to do it), but I wonder, if anybody out there has similar thoughts or am I alone with this "problem"?

These numbers are hard to track, because they can change every day.

What I track is the firsts in a country (and each first is a solitaire at the date of approval). My number is 497 at the moment, most in Switzerland, some in Germany, France, Italy and Greece.

I am quite privileged, because I am the only one here, while you are already the third icon hunter in the history of Austrian Waymarking.

5 minutes ago, fi67 said:

These numbers are hard to track, because they can change every day.

What I track is the firsts in a country (and each first is a solitaire at the date of approval). My number is 497 at the moment, most in Switzerland, some in Germany, France, Italy and Greece.

I am quite privileged, because I am the only one here, while you are already the third icon hunter in the history of Austrian Waymarking.

Wow, 497 is a lot. I don't even have posted in that many categories. And yes, you're right, there are (and have been) others (Austrians and tourists) who were faster than me, but every now and then I find a category they all missed.

I changed my mind and will track it like you do it. Like you said, the "monopoly" can be lost anytime. Thanks for that suggestion. Just for the records: I now checked all the categories and (if I haven't missed anything) I have posted the first waymark in a specific category in a specific country 80 times so far. Most of them of course in Austria, but also in Croatia, Hungary, Italy, Norway, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia and Sweden. I was surprised by the number of countries - I expected to find 2 or 3 (beside Austria). In one category (Free Community Book Exchanges) I was lucky enough to have the first waymark in 2 countries (Austria and Sweden).

Talking about statistics: Is there any (easy) way to see which categories have been covered in a specific country (or US state)? Something like a category grid for a country would be nice.

I wish there were answers to your questions.  In any case, keep up the good work.  Both of you continue to be Waymarking pioneers in your region.  I have firsts-in-a-country because I am one of those Waymarking tourists fortunate to visit exotic locations (more than 30 firsts).  I have another dozen firsts-in-Canada because I got too excited by some of the new categories.