Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
XEmeralDQueenX

Fake Geocoin

Hello, what is your understanding on a fake Geocoin. I've went to hunt a cache that their requirement was not leave fake Geocoins and if you did place one this will be removed and place in another Geocahe. So not sure how to identify a fake Geocoin...

So not sure how to identify a fake Geocoin...

Hmmm... maybe a proxy geocoin?

Some trackable owners make plastified paper copies of their geocoins, I guess is the case.

So not sure how to identify a fake Geocoin...

Hmmm... maybe a proxy geocoin?

Some trackable owners make plastified paper copies of their geocoins, I guess is the case.

Ok that make sense, I've seen those before online they just make a paper with a picture or drawing and hook up a TB# is that what you are talking about? :blink:

I've seen those before online they just make a paper with a picture or drawing and hook up a TB# is that what you are talking about? :blink:

Yes. Laminated paper with a tracking number. First time I found one, I really felt cheated. :anicute:

Hello, what is your understanding on a fake Geocoin. I've went to hunt a cache that their requirement was not leave fake Geocoins and if you did place one this will be removed and place in another Geocahe. So not sure how to identify a fake Geocoin...

What does this cache owner think is a "fake" coin?

A proxy isn't a "fake coin", but a (often laminated) version intended to replace the original.

I'd say most coins don't last in the wild today.

In that regard (replacement for an often stolen item...), they work. :)

A wooden, or personal sig token may be "coin-like", but it'd be considered swag, and not a "fake" coin.

Who cares if this small person's wittle feelings get bothered by a "fake" coin. Make/let him move it. :)

Who cares if this small person's wittle feelings get bothered by a "fake" coin. Make/let him move it. :)

Or mark it missing. :ph34r:

Well you are right, who cares lol :laughing:

I've seen those before online they just make a paper with a picture or drawing and hook up a TB# is that what you are talking about? :blink:

Yes. Laminated paper with a tracking number. First time I found one, I really felt cheated. :anicute:

You think you felt cheated, imagine the poor coin owner who's coins have gone missing enough to justify putting out proxies. :sad:

You think you felt cheated, imagine the poor coin owner who's coins have gone missing enough to justify putting out proxies. :sad:

Well, I bought a few of the gxproxy geocoins and they never made it one move. Taken from the cache they were placed in and gone, poof. :o

Still, I find laminated paper proxies as cheap and not the real way to enjoy trackables. All you see is paper, may as well virtual discover them online. :P

Do you have a pic of a gxproxy or a link of an example?

This one is a laser-engraved aluminum GXProxy coin that comes with the actual coin. Both have the same Tracking Number.

58333846-6e07-4432-b698-83b6555261b7.jpg

42b8cc35-63f5-404e-9a37-c027af2ddfc1.jpg

Edited by kunarion

Appears their site require a sign in now. :unsure: I bought three different versions, and the ones with the hiking boots were my favorite. :D

The better quality geocoins come with a look-a-like AL proxy tag from the mint. B)

Edited by Manville Possum

This one is a laser-engraved aluminum GXProxy coin that comes with the actual coin. Both have the same Tracking Number.

58333846-6e07-4432-b698-83b6555261b7.jpg

42b8cc35-63f5-404e-9a37-c027af2ddfc1.jpg

Ooooh WOW that is super cool, thanks for sharing now I know :anicute: