Removing location from EXIF data in images

brendan714

I just noticed that there's location data in the EXIF data of the images posted onto some of my puzzle caches.

Can this be removed without emailing the owner and/or deleting the photo?

Other cachers photos posted as part of their log?

No. Only way is to delete the photo, or ask the cacher logging to edit/delete the photo.

I just noticed that there's location data in the EXIF data of the images posted onto some of my puzzle caches.

It's been like this for quite some time. Many cachers don't even know they have that info tagged on the image. Contact the cacher and alert them and ask them to remove the image or replied without EXIF, if they know how. Otherwise you will need to delete the image.

Edit: Groundspeak had been silent on stripping EXIF when uploading images for a log on multi and mystery caches.

Edited by Team DEMP

I don't know if my photos have this EXIF or not. How do I find it? I've just started using and Android phone for photos (Motorola G4 Plus).

I can't be specific but there should be a settings screen for your camera app and likely an option to turn on/off Location setting.

If this document is accurate for your phone/version of Android, you swipe right to go to Advanced Settings screen and turn Location off.

https://motorola-mobility-en-in.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/110853/p/30,6720,9686

I haven't tried it on my caches, but what if you edit it yourself?

When you see a photo that has the EXIF location, save it on your PC, delete the photo from the log, then edit out the EXIF location, and upload it in a Note, maybe using the date of the original log. You could caption it something like "Joe Schmoe's log photo from 7/22/16. Great shot!"

This way, you don't have to email the owner in advance, and you don't lose a nice photo.

When you see a photo that has the EXIF location, save it on your PC, delete the photo from the log, then edit out the EXIF location, and upload it in a Note, maybe using the date of the original log. You could caption it something like "Joe Schmoe's log photo from 7/22/16. Great shot!"

This way, you don't have to email the owner in advance, and you don't lose a nice photo.

It wouldn't lose the photo but it would no longer appear in Joe Schmoe's gallery.

It wouldn't lose the photo but it would no longer appear in Joe Schmoe's gallery.

Yes, if the issue is that the photo must stay in the cacher's gallery, my plan would not work. By not deleting the photo, it remains. :anibad:

Edited by kunarion