Any reason to keep the Copy Tag?

mkolodner

I ordered a bunch of trackable tags with plans to send TBs into the world. I'm confused as to whether there is any particular use for the Copy Tag? Once I have activated the TB, it's linked in my account. So why would I need the tag and the tracking number that is on it?

I ordered a bunch of trackable tags with plans to send TBs into the world. I'm confused as to whether there is any particular use for the Copy Tag? Once I have activated the TB, it's linked in my account. So why would I need the tag and the tracking number that is on it?

Help Center → Trackables → Owning Trackables

4.9. Someone has had my trackable for a long time. How do I mark my trackable as missing?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=397

All trackables come with a copy tag to use in case the original is lost. If you like, you can attach this tag to an item and send it out.

https://www.geocaching.com/track/travelbugfaq.aspx

Why are there two tags?

There is one tag that says 'COPY' on it. This tag you hold on to to keep as a memento and a quick way to check up on your bugs.

It also works as a good backup if your original Travel Bug comes up missing.

They make great keychains, too!

B.

When we first started and sent trackables out, we had a shelf with pegboard near the PC.

The trackables had their "twin" on the pegboard with copy tag attached, slots in the shelf for coins, and hooks holding those little coin-like tokens with a hole in 'em too. :)

We never planned to send the copies out, and they're at least still around, though that stuff sits in a 50cal these days...

When we first started and sent trackables out, we had a shelf with pegboard near the PC.

The trackables had their "twin" on the pegboard with copy tag attached, slots in the shelf for coins, and hooks holding those little coin-like tokens with a hole in 'em too. :)

We never planned to send the copies out, and they're at least still around, though that stuff sits in a 50cal these days...

Yes, the two tags allow the owner to have a souvenir. It's a physical item that might be placed into a binder along with one's owned Geocoins. So you have your TB for yourself regardless of what happens. In case the OP doesn't know, it is statistically 99.99% certain that you will never hold your trackable again once you place it into a cache. Lucky for you, there's a Copy tag to keep.

Although you less frequently get a "Copy" with a trackable tag today, Geocoins are now sometimes sold with a laser-etched plastic "Proxy" in the design of the coin. TBs (or copies) and Geocoins (or their proxies) tend to be treated differently by finders. Cachers want to log the "actual Geocoin, not its proxy", yet a "copy" of a TB is considered to be the TB (this is partly because coins have unique icons, TBs don't). And there are other considerations, such as whether your "Copy" is imprinted with "Keep Me" (placing that in a cache is just asking for trouble :anicute:).

Although you can place the Copy tag at some time, note that there is only one Copy tag. You can only use that plan (send out the Copy tag) once. So you may decide to keep it, and instead do whatever you would do the second time you release a "copy".

Edited by kunarion

I'm confused as to whether there is any particular use for the Copy Tag?

The first time any of your TBs disappear, you can launch a clone with the copy.

Okay, here is a first for me. :anicute: I pick up a TB that has been sitting in a cache for two years or so,... and the owner releases the copy that may have even visited the APE cache in Brazil but I'm holding the original. :blink:

So what now? :unsure:

Why would I keep another players TB? :unsure:

So sorry... I misunderstood and thought it was YOUR TB.

Did you ask the owner already?

We have been in contact, and according to the TB's page they were attempting to pick it up in Dallas, but looks like the copy tag went to Brazil while I'm holding the original. :(

In a similar case, I had the original. The copy was in Europe. The TO figured it was easier for me to mail him back the original. He repaid me for the postage.