Would this be considering burying?

Zaise

I was thinking of using one an Irrigation Valve Box, much like the one found here: <https://www.amazon.com/NDS-D1000-SG-Rectangle-10-Inch-15-Inch/dp/B006H3QWVA/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1491182518&sr=8-12&keywords=Irrigation+Valve+Boxes> but I'm wondering if that would be considered burying since it's technically underground, but no digging is required?

An existing Irrigation Valve Box? Or one you put in place?

An existing box would require permission from the owner. One you put in place--how are you going to place it underground without digging?

The "no digging" rule applies both to the owner (hiding the cache) and finders (retrieving the cache):

If one has to dig or create a hole in the ground when placing or finding a geocache, it is not allowed.

Seems this rule isn't enforced well. I've found recent caches that were tubes buried in the ground vs with just the top poking out above ground. I can't see these caches being placed without digging as the ground would never be soft enough to push the container in.

You can even see recent YouTube videos on excellent gadget caches placed where the cache owner describes the pole/wood post that is placed in the ground to hold their cache. That post requires digging to place in the grounds.

The "no digging" rule applies both to the owner (hiding the cache) and finders (retrieving the cache):

If one has to dig or create a hole in the ground when placing or finding a geocache, it is not allowed.

Seems this rule isn't enforced well.

There are only two ways that the rule could be enforced.

1. A reviewer would have to visit the site of every cache before it's published to determine if the hide complies with the guideline. (not going to happen)

2. After a cache has been published, a finder of the cache reports to the reviewer (either with a N/A log or directly) that the cache does not comply with the guidelines.

Instead, when a reviewer evaluates a geocache submission, all they can do is trust that when the hider has checked the box which indicates they have read and understand the guidelines, that the cache does, in fact, comply.

it's technically underground, but no digging is required?

How does it get underground if not by digging?

Teleportation or magic are possibilities. Those may be able to get past the guideline.

However, the scientifically-proven methods of getting an object into the ground violate the "no digging" guideline. Installing an irrigation box into the ground would be a definite no-go.

it's technically underground, but no digging is required?

Teleportation or magic are possibilities. Those may be able to get past the guideline.

However, the scientifically-proven methods of getting an object into the ground violate the "no digging" guideline. Installing an irrigation box into the ground would be a definite no-go.

You're forgetting the most obvious methods:

Time & Erosion. Leave an irrigation box on the ground long enough and eventually it's highly likely it will be buried in a few years or decades.

A more mundane approach is to use an existing hole/cave/pipe/utility-box/whatever to put the cache container below ground level, without requiring digging when placing (or finding) the geocache.

The first cache I ever found was located below grade, lowered into a hollow tree stump that was located on the downhill side of the trail. I moved the UPS, grabbed the container handle (which was located at ground level for those of us on the trail), and lifted the cache out of the hollow tree stump. But no digging was required to hide or find the geocache.

Since then I've found other below-grade caches that used existing features to put the containers below ground level. It can be done. (It's also possible to violate the no-digging guideline to put containers below ground level, but we all knew that.)

I was thinking of using one an Irrigation Valve Box, much like the one found here: <https://www.amazon.com/NDS-D1000-SG-Rectangle-10-Inch-15-Inch/dp/B006H3QWVA/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1491182518&sr=8-12&keywords=Irrigation+Valve+Boxes> but I'm wondering if that would be considered burying since it's technically underground, but no digging is required?

An existing Irrigation Valve Box? Or one you put in place?

An existing box would require permission from the owner. One you put in place--how are you going to place it underground without digging?

It would be a new one, and that would require me to dig, so I guess this idea is a no go.

Very useful discussion. Thanks. I came today to ask the same question and found this thread. I was planning a partially buried PVC tube but seems that's not an option. Back to my original plan of a locked box inside a disused pipe. Still below ground level but no digging required.

Cheers.

Jenny.

Very useful discussion. Thanks. I came today to ask the same question and found this thread. I was planning a partially buried PVC tube but seems that's not an option. Back to my original plan of a locked box inside a disused pipe. Still below ground level but no digging required.

Cheers.

Jenny.

Who owns the pipe?

Cheers.

Jenny.

Who owns the pipe?

One of two government departments who will both claim it's the other one's.

Cheers.

Jenny.

Who owns the pipe?

So not a great plan for a cache, then.

Cheers.

Jenny.

Who owns the pipe?

So not a great plan for a cache, then.

All good. If I can't sort that out I have a plan C in conjunction with the local Council.