Inexpensive Smart Phone for GeoCaching + Munzee?

Geosphinx

Hi everyone in Geocaching World. I have been without a GPS and smart phone for about a month now and I am going stir crazy without having a incentive of going for my walks. See, I get bored just from walking. My mind has been excited since I started geocaching in 2009. I would like opinions on what (inexpensive and used) smart phone I could use for both treasure hunt games. I used a GPS before for geocaching. But, from doing Munzee with a smart phone (you need a smart phone)I have learned how to Geocache and Munzee all with one item. Instead of carrying around a heavy GPS and a phone. I know how to do both treasure games offline. But you must be with-in certain feet in order to capture a QR-Code. No other way around that (unless you know of one). But; you can save both file types offline, till you get to a wifii connection. I love both games and I lost 60lbs doing them. Now, since my last android stopped working all together, I hardly go out. I know, it sounds dumb, but; we all have quirks and need some (interesting or exciting) push to get exercise. Don't deny what your body needs. EVER. Mine needs healing and in order to get it, I need to continue to enjoy my walks again. I fight my bad addictions by finding good ones. Yes, such things exist. Any help on what I shall be buying on eBay, would be greatly, appreciated. Please, be safe out there while Treasure hunting. If you are safe, you are wise like an owl. Hoot Hoot.

I'd recommend Samsung X-cover (the newer version the better). I did some geocaching and Wherigo on x-cover 2. It's not the fastest phone around an you'll need a microsd card for offline maps but it did the job and is tougher than a regular smartphone. When I go for geocaching in rain (thete was this one night cache where I just couldn't wait fot a better weather) I leave my lumia at home and take the x-cover.

kyocera hydro air

$40 at Walmart or about $60 on eBay. Amazon case and screen protector for $9.

if that's too big check out the moto g line.

it you want replaceable battery, rugby pro, Casio c811, xcover, active Samsung, or similar. there are tons of good phones, the 5s iPhones appear to be pretty popular also

I had a friend visit me. He introduced me to this addictive habit. He had the latest Phone, Apple, and could not find any of the caches around my home. The GPS that I had downloaded all necessary geocaches for our day out found them all. Forget the phone, buy a cheap phone for phone calls and buy a GPS that will put you on the money every time.

I had a friend visit me. He introduced me to this addictive habit. He had the latest Phone, Apple, and could not find any of the caches around my home. The GPS that I had downloaded all necessary geocaches for our day out found them all. Forget the phone, buy a cheap phone for phone calls and buy a GPS that will put you on the money every time.

what was the issue with his iPhone?

It's not a Android. :ph34r::anibad:

+1000 :lol:

i did lol when i read that. :)

but seriously though, i've watched several people use their iphones' gps antenna to record tracks, drop photo-waypoints, and then record whatever-the-insanely-high-resolution-is-this-week video, without skipping a beat. the videos, tracks, and waypoints always turn out very very good. the iphone is a high quality device, it's just the users need a little guidance for how to fully exploit the hardware and software. :) that's why i asked the previous poster what the issue was :)

I have a Moto E 2nd gen., and whilst I always use a GPS for caching I've set the 'phone up with GDAK and tested it out in the field - it can't hurt to have a backup device just in case. I've found it pretty good, the battery life is excellent, the gps accuracy is comparable with my Garmin , and it has enabled me to find a few Wherigos too. To my mind it's a good balance as far as size goes, not too huge to pocket, or too small a display. Negative points : small internal storage (just add a memory card)and a fairly awful camera.

Here in the UK the 'phone costs around £80, I just looked on a certain great river and see the price in the US is around the same number of $