GSAK Query

Pacar

Folks!!

I don't quite know how best to deal with trackables that haven't yet been logged in a cache but I've found and "retrieved" to move on to another cache, whilst using GSAK.

The example would be, at 1100hrs "player x" drops a trackable into a GeoCache. At 1200hrs I come along, retrieve the trackable and move it into a new Cache. I get home and start uploading my cache finds before "player x" has had time to update their caching adventures. Because I have started to update my caches before "player x", the trackable they have dropped off doesn't display in the right hand side GSAK window:

bcfa1b092bc78dad0d630d0006ac0280.jpg

That being the case, how do I mark the trackable as retrieved and then moved into my inventory if I am logging a number of caches in one go. Does that make sense???

Cheers,

Pacar :D

The example would be, at 1100hrs "player x" drops a trackable into a GeoCache. At 1200hrs I come along, retrieve the trackable and move it into a new Cache. I get home and start uploading my cache finds before "player x" has had time to update their caching adventures. Because I have started to update my caches before "player x", the trackable they have dropped off doesn't display in the right hand side GSAK window:

That being the case, how do I mark the trackable as retrieved and then moved into my inventory if I am logging a number of caches in one go. Does that make sense???

It doesn't happen often but on occasion it does.

What I do is NOT log the TB at the time I log my caches with GSAK but put the TB on my watchlist. I log everything possible and when I get the notification the TB is dropped I log it via the website and add it to the MyTrackables database with the AddTrackablesAPI macro.

To avoid that a TB is "grabbed" by the next cacher before it's dropped and retrieved/dropped by me I never drop a TB before I have logged it as retrieved.

With most of the caches we do we don't have that problem as we avoid busy caches. With less visited (longer/harder multi's) caches the caches that there are multiple loggers on one day are not that great B)

Cheers,

Log your find on GSAK without logging the trackable, then wait for the other cacher to drop the TB into the cache and retrieve it separately - this could be a week or more later if the other cacher is caching on holiday and can't log their finds away from home.

Another way is grab it from him Then dip it in the cache you found it in and then drop it in the final.

If someone "grabs" a TB from me before I was able to "drop" it (and that's always the same day), I'll just grab it back and drop it in the cache I left it in. I will then send an email to the "grabber" to retrieve and drop it again. :ph34r:

Edited by on4bam

It doesn't happen often but on occasion it does.

What I do is NOT log the TB at the time I log my caches with GSAK but put the TB on my watchlist. I log everything possible and when I get the notification the TB is dropped I log it via the website and add it to the MyTrackables database with the AddTrackablesAPI macro.

To avoid that a TB is "grabbed" by the next cacher before it's dropped and retrieved/dropped by me I never drop a TB before I have logged it as retrieved.

With most of the caches we do we don't have that problem as we avoid busy caches. With less visited (longer/harder multi's) caches the caches that there are multiple loggers on one day are not that great B)

Thanks for this, however, by doing this how do you then log that that TB has visited, say 15 caches, whilst it's been in your posession??

Cheers,

Log your find on GSAK without logging the trackable, then wait for the other cacher to drop the TB into the cache and retrieve it separately - this could be a week or more later if the other cacher is caching on holiday and can't log their finds away from home.

This is great, but what if I've visited 30 or so other caches before it is dropped??

Thanks for this, however, by doing this how do you then log that that TB has visited, say 15 caches, whilst it's been in your posession??

Many owners don't like to get 10's of mails that their TB "visited" caches so I don't do that. Only my own TBs visit every cache I find for other people's TB I would only log a visit if I take them to another country but NEVER to a cache a few 100 meters further down the road.

I'm now thinking about this, based on what I've read from:

Another way is grab it from him Then dip it in the cache you found it in and then drop it in the final.

I complete a series of 30 caches, and in cache number 20 I "grab" a trackable. I get home, log into GeoCaching.com, visit the trackable page, "grab" the trackable. Into GSAK, "fetch" my finds, do nothing about the new trackable until I get to the 20th log, then set the trackable attribute to "visit". The first 20 caches will have no trackable linked, the last 10 caches will.

Would that work out correctly??

OT, the rare time we even see a trackable anymore (hoarders filling their own caches lately), I'll look at the last person's profile to see what they may be up to.

Usually wait a day or two now to keep peace with the other 2/3rds (if the cacher's not logging any more finds) to grab it.

The last found, the other 2/3rds didn't want me to make waves (a friend's Mom I guess), so wouldn't let me grab it three days afterwards, when shown she wasn't even caching.

That trackable wasn't dropped in the cache (I'm still holding it the entire time...) until a month later.

That's just rude...

I shouldn't be "punished" because another's careless, forgetful, or rude.

If someone "grabs" a TB from me before I was able to "drop" it (and that's always the same day), I'll just grab it back and drop it in the cache I left it in. I will then send an email to the "grabber" to retrieve and drop it again. :ph34r:

You are assuming the person still had the code which most including me don't keep

And when someone does that to me I ignore it and move on. Given that at least 50 percent of trackable are not where they say it isn't worth the effort

Edited by Walts Hunting

You are assuming the person still had the code which most including me don't keep

And when someone does that to me I ignore it and move on. Given that at least 50 percent of trackable are not where they say it isn't worth the effort

In fact, I assume a cacher would allow me at least a few hours until I can log, worst case scenario is I drop a TB at 10 in the morning and log at 9 in the evening. Of course, the app people want it all now and want to log immediately so I do what I have to to have my books (GSAK) in order.

BTW, I still have all trackable codes for the last 6 years in GSAK.

Thanks for so many replies and for such a great discussion on this topic. Perhaps the example I gave wasn't great, but it could easily be that someone is on holiday in the area, have dropped a trackable but are unable to update their own online files for a week or maybe a fortnight, but the principle was the same.