To Infinity... And Beyond!

aireland

So, I was laying in my bed, pondering the mysteries of the universe as I often do... and I decided to look up pictures from various moon expeditions. While looking through these magnificent moments in human history, and marveling at just how far we have come as a species, I thought to myself... How awesome would it be to have a geocache placed in space. I'm aware that NASA most likely will not be sending people to the moon like the lunar glory days of old, but the idea of a geocache being stored out somewhere in space for people of all origins to someday reach, is awesome to me. A geocache after all, at its most basic level is a shared treasure to be sought out by all who come to seek it, and a vehicle for recording and passing on each visitors' legacy through a signed log.

My questions for the geocaching community -- Is this goal possible? When would it be able to happen? What measures would we (as a community) need to take to make it happen? And, what are your suggestions for a would-be galactic geocache?

Thanks for taking to time to humor me and engage in fun and imaginative discussion, let's hear your thoughts...

(By the way, here is a link to some of the pictures: http://history.nasa.gov/ap11ann/kippsphotos/apollo.html )

Again, can't edit, but was thinking along the lines of a moon cache, or a Mars cache

And how soon do you predict there would be even the minimum necessary constellation of GPS satellites orbiting those space "destinations"?

Are there enough features on the surface of either one of those to even play a worthwhile game of Letterboxing?

Again, can't edit, but was thinking along the lines of a moon cache, or a Mars cache

And how soon do you predict there would be even the minimum necessary constellation of GPS satellites orbiting those space "destinations"?

Are there enough features on the surface of either one of those to even play a worthwhile game of Letterboxing?

Is lunar dust a good camo, or would that be a buried cache?

My questions for the geocaching community -- Is this goal possible? When would it be able to happen? What measures would we (as a community) need to take to make it happen? And, what are your suggestions for a would-be galactic geocache?

Thanks for taking to time to humor me and engage in fun and imaginative discussion, let's hear your thoughts...

[/Quote]

Since you invite imaginative discussion, I'll say I'm worried about maintenance of galactic caches and about the amateur armchair archiving aficionados (AAAA) who will stand sit ready (here on earth) to post NA at the drop of a hat!

Also, the high cost of caching could make the activity elitist - oh, my!

Can't edit on my phone, but noticed I made a rookie mistake by using "laying" instead of "lying" in bed. Will edit later for clarity...

A bit off topic, but when in mobile view, scroll to the bottom of any page of the forums. On the bottom left it will say "Full version." Actually it looks like it says "Full version search" but that's 2 different links. Anyway, hit the full version link and you'll be sent to the desktop view where you can edit, and all that other fun stuff.

[/Quote]

Since you invite imaginative discussion, I'll say I'm worried about maintenance of galactic caches and about the amateur armchair archiving aficionados (AAAA) who will stand sit ready (here on earth) to post NA at the drop of a hat!

And the will be endless complaints about incorrect dates on the log entries.

[/Quote]

And the will be endless complaints about incorrect dates on the log entries.

And those intergalactic cache police sadly miss out on the OP's glorious vision of the cache as ...

... a shared treasure to be sought out by all who come to seek it, - a vehicle for recording and passing on each visitors' legacy through a signed log.

[/Quote]

Magnificent!