Minimum age to host an event?

So I haven't seen what the requirements are for hosting an event. But I know they need to be submitted at least 2 weeks in advance.

I'm thinking of doing an event with a Hot Chocolate theme, where people can buy hot chocolate at exchange trackables. I'm 20 and this would be my first event, not going to do this until winter but wondering what the minimum age is for hosting an event. I'll be 21 in the winter.

There is no minimum age to host an event. Also it will not get published if you have listed on the cache page that people will be purchasing the hot chocolate. There can't really be any mention of money. Also guests to the event cannot be forced to purchase anything in order to attend the event.

There is actually a "minimum" age, but you've been old enough for some time.

The Terms of Use state, "Our services are not targeted towards, nor intended for use by, anyone under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, you are not permitted to use our services. If you are under the age of 18 but at least 13, you may only use our services under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by this Agreement."

So I haven't seen what the requirements are for hosting an event. But I know they need to be submitted at least 2 weeks in advance.

I'm thinking of doing an event with a Hot Chocolate theme, where people can buy hot chocolate at exchange trackables. I'm 20 and this would be my first event, not going to do this until winter but wondering what the minimum age is for hosting an event. I'll be 21 in the winter.

There is no minimum age to host an event. Also it will not get published if you have listed on the cache page that people will be purchasing the hot chocolate. There can't really be any mention of money. Also guests to the event cannot be forced to purchase anything in order to attend the event.

This is just my opinion but I think it would be acceptable if it is made clear that the hot chocolate purchase is optional not mandatory.

This is just my opinion but I think it would be acceptable if it is made clear that the hot chocolate purchase is optional not mandatory.

If you word it that way I think that would be fine. I think I've said things along those lines before.

And yes, geocaching.com does have an age restriction of 13 years old, 1) you don't have to be 13 to host an event and 2) no one really enforces this rule and I don't think they even ask for your birthday when you sign up

The Terms of Use state, "Our services are not targeted towards, nor intended for use by, anyone under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, you are not permitted to use our services. If you are under the age of 18 but at least 13, you may only use our services under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by this Agreement."

That is an excellent example of an acceptable answer that I'm looking for, I just don't want to violate any guidelines for event hosting. People with beliefs against hot chocolate can buy something else, or bring their own beverage. The event plan is still in the works so I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Edited by Pond Bird

That is an excellent example of an acceptable answer that I'm looking for, I just don't want to violate any guidelines for event hosting. People with beliefs against hot chocolate can buy something else, or bring their own beverage. The event plan is still in the works so I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.

That is a restriction for all of geocaching. There is nothing specific pertaining to events. I've known of kids hosting events and posted them under their parents accounts. As long as you are capable of setting up the event and running it it's fine. Just keep in mind that attendees cannot be required to purchase anything in order to attend the event. I've had events at pizza places or breakfast places before and I can't mention on the cache page about being required to purchase food. Some reviewers are even strict about naming the specific restaurant where you're holding the event. Just something to consider

There is no minimum age required to hold an Event published by Groundspeak.

The only time an age restriction would come into play is if it is in violation of liquor laws, and you're holding the event in a bar.

Guidelines:

https://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

6. Event Caches

An event is a gathering of geocachers, facilitating the social aspect of geocaching. It is organized by geocachers and is open to other geocachers and those interested in learning about the game. It takes place at the posted coordinates, includes start and end times, and lasts at least 30 minutes. Events with several elements, a sequence of events, or events that are near the same time or location and intended for the same audience should be submitted as a single event. Additional waypoints may be added to the event listing for the locations of event activities.

Events must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the event date. Events are usually published no more than three months prior to the event date. Events may be published up to six months prior if an overnight stay is expected by attendees or if the event is designed to attract geocachers from beyond the local area. After an event has occurred, the listing is to be archived by the geocache owner.

An Event Cache should not be set up for the purpose of gathering geocachers for a geocache search. If an event is already organized outside of the geocaching community or it will happen without a Geocaching.com listing, it is likely not an Event Cache. Examples include concerts, fairs, sporting and scouting events.

Event Caches, like other geocaches, will only be published if they meet the commercial cache guideline.

Geocache owners can include basic information about the location on the geocache page, even if it is a commercial location. Event listings may request donations or charge a fee to cover legitimate costs of the event.

A list of sponsors, without logos or URLs, may be on an event listing.

Event listings may only mention sales of event-related Geocaching.com trackables. Listings may include a link to a non-commercial event landing page. Attendees may be required to register at a separate registration page.

4. Solicitation and Commercial Content

Geocaches do not solicit for any purpose.

Commercial geocaches are disallowed.

Cache listings perceived as commercial will not be published. A commercial cache listing has one or more of the following characteristics:

It has overtones of advertising, marketing or promotion.

It suggests or requires that the finder go inside a business, interact with employees and/or purchase a product or service.

It contains links to businesses, agencies, commercial advertisers, charities, or political or social agendas.

It contains the logo of a business or organization, including non-profit organizations.

It contains the name of a business or commercial product.

III. LOGGING Guidelines: Logging Guidelines cover the requirements that must be fulfilled in order to log a find.

4. Event Cache Logging Guidelines

Any Event Cache (including Mega, Giga and CITO Events) can be logged online if the geocacher has attended the event. Event Cache owners can request that cachers sign a logbook, but this is optional and cannot be a requirement for logging an Event Cache.

B.

B.

Please explain.

I guess I don't underestand how someone younger than 13 can hold an event, when the site won't knowingly allow them to use any of their services to get it published.

Thanks. :)

B.

Please explain.

I guess I don't underestand how someone younger than 13 can hold an event, when the site won't knowingly allow them to use any of their services to get it published.

Yeah, GS has wording that says they don't allow under-13's to use their site, yet they allow accounts for infants, newborns and dogs.

They also knowingly allow under-age members to post in the forums. And do they not encourage school groups and Boy/Girl Guides?

I think it's all very legal-ish and not something that bothers GS one little bit.

I can't see how they could possibly enforce any of it, any way.

B.

B.

Please explain.

Yeah, GS has wording that says they don't allow under-13's to use their site, yet they allow accounts for infants, newborns and dogs.

They also knowingly allow under-age members to post in the forums. And do they not encourage school groups and Boy/Girl Guides?

I think it's all very legal-ish and not something that bothers GS one little bit.

I can't see how they could possibly enforce any of it, any way.

B.

Okay. Thanks ! :)

That is a restriction for all of geocaching. There is nothing specific pertaining to events. I've known of kids hosting events and posted them under their parents accounts. As long as you are capable of setting up the event and running it it's fine. Just keep in mind that attendees cannot be required to purchase anything in order to attend the event. I've had events at pizza places or breakfast places before and I can't mention on the cache page about being required to purchase food. Some reviewers are even strict about naming the specific restaurant where you're holding the event. Just something to consider

If kids are "hosting events" under their parents accounts, the parents are probably hosting the event but the kids are taking credit for it.

If kids are "hosting events" under their parents accounts, the parents are probably hosting the event but the kids are taking credit for it.

Technically the parent account would be "taking credit" for it because the event got published under the parent account. I've known kids that have done this and wrote up the cache page, set up the event area, prepared a log book, gave prizes, etc. but just didn't have their own account to actually publish the event.

Pretty much. Link for reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children's_Online_Privacy_Protection_Act

Required by U.S. Law. The assumption appears to be that for <13 years of age, the account is managed by a parent/adult until proven otherwise.

We've had a handful of Events Hosted under a minor's account, but facilitated by a parent. Never has been an issue.

but just didn't have their own account to actually publish the event.

Well, yeah, you have to have an account to host an event or hide a cache, log finds, etc.

If the kids had their own account, they could have the event published under that account.

B.

I'm just saying what happened in the instance I am talking about