Logging your own caches

Hi we live on an isolated island with very few caches.We are working hard to put out lots of new caches but cannot add to our list of caches we have found because there aren't many to do and apart from ours no new ones being placed.

Someone said you can log your own caches to keep your total going. Is this correct?

You can log your own cache but most would say (based on multiple prior threads) you should not. After all, you placed it so how could you "find it" as you already know where it is?

The exception is event caches.

We find many caches while traveling, you may have to do the same.

Edited by Michaelcycle

I see you're on Shetland, I'd love to visit there one day :)

Another way of keeping the game interesting would be to discover and move on the Travel Bugs and geocoins that visit caches on your island, that way you'll be collecting trackable icons, your "trackables logged" count will go up and you'll be helping them move on. I occasinally re-visit local caches I've already found to move TBs/geocoins.

Another idea would be to put on an event cache, perhaps at a time of year when the islands get the most visitors so you might get some travellers turn up as well as locals.

Hi we live on an isolated island with very few caches.We are working hard to put out lots of new caches but cannot add to our list of caches we have found because there aren't many to do and apart from ours no new ones being placed.

Someone said you can log your own caches to keep your total going. Is this correct?

Lots of people log their own caches as "found". If you are only concerned with adding numbers to your find total, then you can do that.

Seems silly to a majority of folks to do that, though. How can you "find" something that you have hidden, and know where it is located?

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=80

4.7. Logging My Own Geocache

[update 16 October 2012]

Can I log a find on my own geocache? What about when I go back to visit?

It is considered "bad form" to log a find on your own geocache, no matter when you do it. The same is true if you re-visit a geocache (for example to place or retrieve a travel bug). Use the "post a note" log option to record your visit in these circumstances.

In either case, you're not "finding" a geocache because you already know where it is. Save the smiley face for use when you've truly discovered a hidden geocache.

B.

Many consider it cheesy, but sure you can.

My area sees "team accounts" placed, with members of that "team" already signed in the logs of new caches out.

They're usually in the middle somewhere, so (to me) they acknowledge the fact that some would consider it in poor taste, or maybe "cheating".

Only speaking of what I'd do (and am doing...), and not worry about numbers so much, realizing the few "smileys" I have are without question. :)

Curious... What does "keep your total going" really mean to you? What's the draw?

There are no prizes.

Most of us know how many with really high find counts came by them. ;)