New PA STATE REG...PLEASE READ!!!!

retphoto

Also....I forgot...I asked about the game Commisions' position on Geocaching...and they don't have an offical position...it's a non-issue. So if you want to place caches on SGL(State Game Lands), feel free to do so...

Just make sure you're wearing your Saftey orange!!!!

He prayeth best, who loveth best All things both great and small; For the dear God who loveth us, He made and loveth all.

S. T. Coleridge

quote:
Originally posted by geo-Packrat:

<<SNIP>>

You Need to be wearing fluorescent Orange during Hunting season!!!

<<SNIP>>

This just makes sense. I'll look a bit silly (like a LARGE orange pumpkin) over getting shot in the rear end any day.

We wear an Orange vest and when it gets a bit colder we add a blaze orange cap too during hunting season.

Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.

Sydney J. Harris

I personally don't think its a good idea to place a cache on a State Game Land. Danger issue aside, the hunters have put a lot of effort in their pursuit of game from pre-season scouting to actual hunting. One hiker walking thru the area of a hunter on stand at the wrong time of day can ruin his whole day (early morning and late day mostly).

Now placing caches in the safety zones around hunting areas near dwellings might be good for the hunter as cachers will chase the game out of those sanctuary areas and maybe to the hunter.

Orange or Hi-Vis Lime green should always worn. Very few other colors are safe, nor even those red and black plaid jackets. Hunters key in on movement, not shape or color. I have, numerous occasions, for a short time, saw movement thinking it was game and it turned out to be humans.

quote:
Originally posted by Harrald:

quote:

<<SNIP>>

<<SNIP>>

This just makes sense. I'll look a bit silly (like a LARGE orange pumpkin) over getting shot in the rear end any day.

We wear an Orange vest and when it gets a bit colder we add a blaze orange cap too during hunting season.

Geez, next thing you know the state will make hikers wear yellow and black power-ranger suits ... you wanna talk about looking silly! icon_biggrin.gif

This is not a new regulation but this topic is a timely reminder. The rule only applies to state gamelands but it would be wise to wear the blaze orange in Pennsylvania state forests, state parks, and anywhere there is woods November 15 thru December 15 except on Sundays when the hunters are supposed to be giving the critters a day of from their bombardment.

Pennsylvania State Gamelands are a great place to hide caches because they are the most numerous of public lands in Pennsylvania and you don't need no stinking permit to hide there.

I don't hunt so I cannot say whether or not hunters mind sharing the woods during deer or other seasons. Somebody that posted to a similar thread suggested that geocachers might be doing hunters a service by scaring out the game. I don't know. I personally would avoid geocaching in areas popular with hunters during the peak deer season.

Johnny

quote:
Originally posted by Team Ekitt10:

quote:
Originally posted by Harrald:

quote:

<<SNIP>>

<<SNIP>>

Geez, next thing you know the state will make hikers wear yellow and black power-ranger suits ... you wanna talk about looking silly! icon_biggrin.gif

I saw a guy on a motor cycle wearing a yellow and black power ranger suit recently.

When I'm hunting I don't have a problem sharing the woods with anyone but with close to 1 million license holders its better to leave the caches in Pennsylvania State Gamelands until Sundays during the hunting season.

Be carefull caching in safety zones. Hunting is permitted with the permission of the occupants.

Also be aware that you could (HIGHLY UNLIKELY) be cited for littering if you leave anything behind in state game lands. Spent casings, shells and maybe even caches?