Ticks

Polgara

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:
Originally posted by Gwho:

They said Repel Permanone (with permethrin) gave protection TO CLOTHES for nearly 2 full weeks. Pricey though AT $5 for 2 applications. So if you've got a dedicated set of geocaching attire, this might be the way to go if you cache a lot. Considering my plans for the summer this might not be a bad idea, but my question is: will washing your clothes kill the effectiveness? I would think so, so either you're gonna reek after a week or else you'll go thru it a lot faster.

If I remember the Repel can correct, it was effective for 2 weeks or 2 washings, whichever comes first. If you only cache on weekends like most people, thats only $1.25 for a weekend of protection from Lyme. Cheaper then a bottle of water, a gallon of gas, or a burger. Doesn't seem that pricey.

I would still like to find a local source for the mil spec stuff. Thats good for 1 year.

When you find that mil spec stuff please be sure to let us all know...I got me a good pair of Gators that I been treating....Those don't get washed....

There is nothing like a Packrat who is a geocacher.

I did some research, and I read it could take up to 2 weeks.

I had a tick bite recently and it pretty much disappeared for a couple of days, then got pink about the size of a dime for several days, and now seems to be going away. That was when I started researching the bullseye rash.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by njsmama:

How long does it take to see the bulls eye rash if you've been bitten by a diseased tic?

Mine appeared 15 days after the tick bite. And what a bullseye, it was perfect. My friends were riding me about taking an endorsement for the Target stores. I had blinding headaches and ran a low grade fever starting the day after I was bitten, which I never associated to the bite. Even when the bullseye rash appeared, lyme never crossed my mind. It wasn’t until a neighbor looked at the rash and said, “that’s lyme disease” did I ever make the connection. I’ve been bitten by many ticks and had always thought that lyme was a lot of hysteria. If you’ve had a tick bite see your doctor ASAP and have him prescribe you at least a “prophylactic” dose of doxycycline. Nothing about lyme is cast in stone, everyones experience is different. Be safe.

Found one on my wife this morning after a cache maintenance trip yesterday. I guess it's off to the ER for some antibiotics.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on April 20, 2003 at 07:01 AM.]