Garmin eTrex 30 Button

Jenni@Alan

Look into the GPSMAP 64S model. It's super fast and comes with a free 1 year subscription to Birdseye Satellite imagery. I've found that you get the best images in cities. In rural areas...not so much.

For example, last weekend I went to Springfield, MO and turned on the satellite imagery. WOW!

When I went back home to the rural area..it looked terrible..

OP, how did you break your GPS? Also, consider investing in a Garmin GPS cover. I keep mine in it and it works great. The plastic screen squeaks a little.

Edited by Pinballwiz

Look into the GPSMAP 64S model. It's super fast and comes with a free 1 year subscription to Birdseye Satellite imagery. I've found that you get the best images in cities. In rural areas...not so much.

For example, last weekend I went to Springfield, MO and turned on the satellite imagery. WOW!

OP, how did you break your GPS? Also, consider investing in a Garmin GPS cover. I keep mine in it and it works great. The plastic screen squeaks a little.

I'm extremely happy with my 64s. I have found the Birdseye images to be quite good. I really like how it overlays the sat image and allows the underlying topo map lines to show through. You ARE selecting V2 when downloading, right? After my free year, I continued to subscribe. I only download the forest preserves and boonies. In the city areas where my cell phone can get a good 4G signal, I just use my phone when I feel the need for a sat view.

I don't think you can replace just that one button, but I have seen ETrex parts for sale on eBay. For an example, so an eBay search for: Garmin eTrex 30 front case part

Other than replacing the entire front case, I'm not sure what else you could try.

There's an ebay seller in Russia that sells parts for these. I've bought some Etrex parts and found the seller genuine and reliable.

Here's a link.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=9603403029&hash=item4d3069e4e8%3Ag%3AC8sAAOSwEeFVJDY0&item=331524728040&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xetrex.TRS0&_nkw=etrex&_sacat=0

He has a case for and Etrex 10 for about $20. I'm pretty sure the cases are all the same for 10/20/30, just different colours. You can swap over the innards.

The actual switch is tiny and part of the circuit board. It's the rubber part of the case that seems to be the OPs problem.

Edited. Sorry, the 10 case is different, I forgot about the SD card slot.

Edited by colleda

I don't think you can replace just that one button, but I have seen ETrex parts for sale on eBay. For an example, so an eBay search for: Garmin eTrex 30 front case part

Other than replacing the entire front case, I'm not sure what else you could try.

There's an ebay seller in Russia that sells parts for these. I've bought some Etrex parts and found the seller genuine and reliable.

Here's a link.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=9603403029&hash=item4d3069e4e8%3Ag%3AC8sAAOSwEeFVJDY0&item=331524728040&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xetrex.TRS0&_nkw=etrex&_sacat=0

He has a case for and Etrex 10 for about $20. I'm pretty sure the cases are all the same for 10/20/30, just different colours. You can swap over the innards.

The actual switch is tiny and part of the circuit board. It's the rubber part of the case that seems to be the OPs problem.

Edited. Sorry, the 10 case is different, I forgot about the SD card slot.

This is a different seller, also in Russia, that has the Etrex 30 front case for $40. The photo in the eBay listing shows the side buttons. I have no experience with this eBay seller or with replacing parts on an Etrex.

I'm extremely happy with my 64s. I have found the Birdseye images to be quite good. I really like how it overlays the sat image and allows the underlying topo map lines to show through. You ARE selecting V2 when downloading, right? After my free year, I continued to subscribe. I only download the forest preserves and boonies. In the city areas where my cell phone can get a good 4G signal, I just use my phone when I feel the need for a sat view.

+3 on the 64S.

I would try putting a layer of silicon over the hole. If the small switch mentioned earlier is intact, the silican would need to almost touch it. I would put a small slice from a pencil eraser on the switch and then apply the silicon to it. Then if it doesn't quite work you can pull it out and have another try. A few small layers built up using cycle tyre patches and the rubber glue would be worth a try too, with the top layer overlapping the area around the hole to make it water tight.

I have seen other users protect there etrex while mountain biking by stretching a slice of bike tubing around the rubber part to give extra prtection in case of crash. Screen is still vulnerable though.