Desperado reins supreme in Northern NJ!

The Artful Dodger

Is it me or is the Northern New Jersey area getting kinda saturated now... icon_mad.gif

Ay Caramba! I have two caches burning a hole in my car trunk and, since I love to place caches, I cannot find a suitable cache spot to get rid of these suckers !!

Maybe one of these days, I'll see something like this on Ebay to help me out .... icon_razz.gif

ebay_logo_home.gif

[This message was edited by The Artful Dodger on September 23, 2002 at 04:12 PM.]

I notice that there are a great deal of caches in Bergen and Passaic Counties, but just across the border in New York, caches are far fewer. I do not say that the Dodger restricts himself to just New Jersey, I have found several of his caches in New York, but it seems a lot of other cachers are.

I am fortunate in that there is a lot of virgin caching territory around me, but as I fill up some of the blanks spaces on the cache map around me, I start to look across the river. It isn't just the number of caches, but are they quality locations? There are an awful lot caches that I frankly think are junk, lousy GPS reception, ugly location, too close to the road. I think there is still lot's of room for quality caches, that lead to places you would want to go to even if there was no cache there.

How about Sterling Forest, or the AT Corridor between Harriman and Wayayanda or Schunemunk. No, I don't think I will planting any caches in Northern New Jersey but I'm sure the Dodger will find some new territory, he just may have to travel a little further.

quote:
How about Sterling Forest, or the AT Corridor between Harriman and Wayayanda or Schunemunk.

Hey,don't start giving away my ideas! GWHO planted caches last week in two areas that I had targeted for future caches, now you mention two more areas that I've been considering!

Seriously, it is getting increasingly difficult to find virgin cache territory. There are some areas that already have caches, that can probably handle one or two more. Norvin Green State Forest comes immediately to mind. Ramapo Mtn SF is pretty much saturated with my caches and a couple owned by others.

Also, further west, places like Stokes, Allamuchy Mtn, High Point and Wawawanda have a lot of potential, however caches out there don't seem to get as many visits.

The 22,000 acre Newark Watershed property is relatively untouched, but a permit is required to hike there, which can cut down on potential finders.

I've been starting to place caches in the smaller local parks, but these areas simply aren't as interesting as the larger state parks and forests.

They do however seem to be popular with Geocachers, since they get a lot more hits than the caches that I've placed in what I believe are much more interesting areas.

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on September 24, 2002 at 07:44 AM.]

Note to the most prolific cache placers: Take a break from placing caches, and go find a few ... you'll be pleasantly surprised at how many excellent caches are out there in spectacular locations.

It's interesting to look at the Leaderboard for the New York City area and see that of the approximately 800 active caches within 50 miles of NYC, only two people have found even half of them, with the third person on the list having found only 30 percent of them ... which is twice what the fourth person on the list has found.

That means the fifth most active cacher in the region has found fewer than 15 percent of the caches available in the region ... I don't know if that indicates the area is saturated with caches or not, but it clearly demonstrates that there are currently a high number of caches available from which to choose, covering the spectrum of interests and challenges, for just about anybody.

To go off on a bit of a tangent, I fully understand that some people prefer placing caches while others prefer seeking them, but I find it somewhat disturbing that in many cases, cache placers haven't bothered to look for (in many cases) excellent caches already in place ... even while placing their own cache in close proximity.

Ay caramba, indeed!

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on September 24, 2002 at 10:02 AM.]

quote:

That means the fifth most active cacher in the region has found fewer than 15 percent of the caches available in the region ...

Hey!!!! I didn't know I was that guy!!!

If I wasn't ripping out/re-modeling my only bathroom I would shoot for number 4.

Seriously though I haven't even started looking east yet. There are a lot of caches on Long Island just waitin' to be found.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

As a New Yorker who is usually fond of his brethren cachers from New Jersey over the Hudson, I just wanted to remind you that we have to put up with a carpet bagging senator. I don't think it would be fair to have to put up with carpet bagging cache hiders as well!! Scheesch!! icon_wink.gif

She promised us all sorts of things. What do you promise us. icon_smile.gif

PS I've planted caches in Florida and Connecticut and am now think of running for Senator in one of those states. What'd ya think? At least I know how to find them.

Alan

You're more then welcome to hide your caches down near the Raritan River. icon_smile.gif

I feel so deprived, there are only 500 caches in a 50 mile radius of Princeton ... only 150 in a 25 mile radius.

So, how far would you travel do find a cache?

We've easily traveled 30 miles to hit a cache for various reasons.

Anyway, you had me going on that page Dodger ... pretty funny!

Wow, I made the top 25 in the NYC area! I was pretty proud of myself, then I noticed that there is a guy that has been Geocaching for a few months who was at #8 and a chick who hasn't found an area Geocache in over a year who was 6 places ahead of me.

Now that I have some time on my hands (involuntary), I have the opportunity to find a lot more.