Collectible

Ry Dawg

Collectible vs Non Collectible as per the Help Center.

I always thought Collectible meant, "Collectible trackables usually reside in a geocacher's personal collection", not the second , "Setting a trackable's status to "collectible" means people can keep it and do not have to physically move it to another geocache".

- No wonder this is an often asked question.

If I wanted someone to keep it, I wouldn't activate it at all...

Collectible vs Non Collectible as per the Help Center.

I always thought Collectible meant, "Collectible trackables usually reside in a geocacher's personal collection", not the second , "Setting a trackable's status to "collectible" means people can keep it and do not have to physically move it to another geocache".

- No wonder this is an often asked question.

If I wanted someone to keep it, I wouldn't activate it at all...

That's along the longs I was thinking. It's why I was confused.

Can somebody please examine to me the collectible option? I don't know the difference between collectible and not collectible, so I've just been using not, which is standards you set wen I activate. What are the functions of each?

As explained in the intro app, collectible means the finder can keep it.

I have never had that app, but thanks.

Can somebody please examine to me the collectible option? I don't know the difference between collectible and not collectible, so I've just been using not, which is standards you set wen I activate. What are the functions of each?

Years ago, Geocachers who owned a lot of activated Geocoins had large Inventory lists. They were keeping their coins in a box or binder, thus didn't need the coins cluttering their Inventory all the time. So one practice was to log the boxed collection of coins as dropped into a Geocache. Even in an archived cache, this presented problems. So Groundspeak introduced the “Collection” to create a place where a coin owner could digitally store coins, separate from the cacher's Inventory list, while still listing the owner as the owner.

An Owner marking a coin “Collectible” is performing the first step to getting the coin into a Collection. Unless there's some special need to do so, for example unless you are actively getting your coin placed into a “Collection”, don't mark your Trackables “Collectible”. As you see by just this thread, it causes pandemonium. :anicute:

Yes, Groundspeak officially declared that by marking a Trackable "Collectible", an Owner's intent is for some finder to pocket it, claiming that if you find a Trackable marked Collectible "you may add it to your collection and hang ono it". No context, no links to how a "Collection" works as set up by Groundspeak itself. I guess now the Pocketer owns it? Really? Hey, TPTB have spoken, and they cannot be bothered to to change their oddball statement, in the Intro App, no less! Maybe they plan to make better mistakes tomorrow, but they sure make horrible decisions today and sticking with them, deliberately causing Trackables to go missing (which would be a serious issue if they also were to somehow be involved with the sale of Trackables :ph34r:). So don't bother with the weirdness. Don't even go there. Just mark it "Not Collectible". There's no declaration (yet :anibad:) that doing so means a finder can keep it.

Most cachers who place their Trackables into caches, want the Trackables to travel, and do not intend that the Trackables be kept. If this is the case with your Trackables, there is no value to marking them Collectible.

Edited by kunarion

"collectible means the finder can keep it. "

Collection means a PERSON can keep it, moving it into their Collection; a "Collection" is bookkeeping widget. This removes from their Inventory, so it's not in the way when they log finds on caches.

I'll look at the Help Center article; see if I can describe it without twenty-seven 8 x 10 colored glossy pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.

----

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=647

I've made some edits, there's no longer anything about "keep it".

Edited by palmetto
Collection means a PERSON can keep it, moving it into their Collection; a "Collection" is bookkeeping widget. This removes from their Inventory, so it's not in the way when they log finds on caches.

Thank you! That's very cool! Collectible/Collection is misunderstood, and in almost every case, the Owner has simply made a leetle checkbox mistake. He must never lose his Geocoin over that.

One thing to stress is, even marked “Collectible” (or more correctly, being in the digital Collection), a Geocoin or TB is “Trackable” and available for discover logs. This digital bookkeeping feature is designed to prevent misunderstandings, it's all above-board, and it's easy to see who owns it and who is “keeping it” on loan at the behest of the owner. No matter the menu selection, Trackables are to be properly logged, not vanish into someone's junk drawer. Can't figure out what to do? Get it back in the game anyway. We can unscramble the logs. I'd hope someday even this Forum will be a great place to get such questions answered properly.

The next challenge is to get the text in the Intro App fixed:

0cf6fb50-e427-4f21-bf22-775af9d746ed.jpg

The Intro App can't even handle the “Collection” feature. Change the circled text to “In most cases, no. Please place it into a cache and log it. The owner is waiting for news.” Don't even bring up “Collectible” in the Intro App unless there's a link to further reading about “the Collection”. It's a complicated concept -- to verify that just see this posts in this one thread.

Add this: “If you have a question about a particular Trackable, contact the Owner. He or she is waiting for it to be logged.”

Some cachers decided that “Collectible” means “I think my TB is very cool” and check-marked the box. Finders on on this very Forum have stated they are waiting to see if a coin they found gets “marked collectible” so they can keep it. “Collecible/Collection” is a mine-field of confusion which I wish did not default to “keep it”. “Collectible” is not a way to lose “track” of your coin. As mentioned, if your coin is a gift, don't activate it. If you are giving it away after activation, use the much simpler process called "Adoption". "Collectible" is for an owner who is remaining the owner.

Edited by kunarion

"collectible means the finder can keep it. "

I'll look at the Help Center article; see if I can describe it without twenty-seven 8 x 10 colored glossy pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.

----

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=647

I've made some edits, there's no longer anything about "keep it".

Cool ! Thanks for that. :)

Also, I asked because I heard collectible means people

Can discover it but not "move" or "grab" it. I have a tracking code sticker I may put on something, that would be my intentions.

Once placed in your collection, it can only have discover logs or note logs.

Yes you may move it from your collection with a couple of clicks.

I know this is an old thread, but hoping someone can clear up my confusion :) I purchased a trackable FTF coin, and will be placing it in a new cache. My intention was to activate it, log it as collectible, and attach it to a note explaining the finder must log it as retrieved. At this point, the finder may keep it and NOT place it into another cache (thus the collectible designation) OR keep it moving and log the drop. Would this be the correct route? Or just put it in the cache without activating it? By doing so, I would have no way of knowing if it was kept or moved on. Any thoughts??? Additionally, I have a trackable travel bug patch that I have activated - it will stay on my backpack and I will not be dropping it in a cache - do I designate it as collectible?

Edited by Monicalake

I know this is an old thread, but hoping someone can clear up my confusion :) I purchased a trackable FTF coin, and will be placing it in a new cache. My intention was to activate it, log it as collectible, and attach it to a note explaining the finder must log it as retrieved. At this point, the finder may keep it and NOT place it into another cache (thus the collectible designation) OR keep it moving and log the drop. Would this be the correct route? Or just put it in the cache without activating it? By doing so, I would have no way of knowing if it was kept or moved on. Any thoughts??? Additionally, I have a trackable travel bug patch that I have activated - it will stay on my backpack and I will not be dropping it in a cache - do I designate it as collectible?

It's not a FTF "prize" if you activated it under your account.

By simply writing down the tracking code, at any time you could look it up to see whether it went into a personal collection, or activated and moved on. :)

The few we've placed as prizes got a thanks ! email saying what they intended to do with that cool prize. :)

If you only intend to allow discover logs on your patch, yep, you could mark it as collectible.

By simply writing down the tracking code, at any time you could look it up to see whether it went into a personal collection, or activated and moved on. :)

The few we've placed as prizes got a thanks ! email saying what they intended to do with that cool prize. :)

If you only intend to allow discover logs on your patch, yep, you could mark it as collectible.

Thanks for the clarification!!! I will place the FTF coins in the cache without activating them, and my patch will be marked as collectible. So great to have this forum!

Thanks for the clarification!!! I will place the FTF coins in the cache without activating them, and my patch will be marked as collectible. So great to have this forum!

To make sure the dead horse stays beaten, just make sure when you mark it as Collectible, you then MOVE IT INTO YOUR COLLECTION, otherwise the first yokel that comes along can GRAB it and put it in HIS collection. If it's in YOUR collection, he can then only log a 'Discovery'.

To make sure the dead horse stays beaten, just make sure when you mark it as Collectible, you then MOVE IT INTO YOUR COLLECTION, otherwise the first yokel that comes along can GRAB it and put it in HIS collection. If it's in YOUR collection, he can then only log a 'Discovery'.

How do I move it into my collection???? Sorry - pretty new at this!

How do I move it into my collection???? Sorry - pretty new at this!

Scratch that question - there is a "Move to Collection" button, of course :) Next time, I will check before asking ;)