"Found It" Count Went Down?

Luckyone80

The number of Geocaches I've found went down by 1 within the last couple of days. How can that be? Can CO take a find away from you?

Yes, a CO can delete a "found it" log if they feel it was bogus or if it was a duplicate.

Did you receive an email advising that a "found it" log had been deleted?

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

4.12. Log Deletion

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=204

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

The number of Geocaches I've found went down by 1 within the last couple of days. How can that be? Can CO take a find away from you?

Yes, a CO can delete a "found it" log if they feel it was bogus or if it was a duplicate.

4.12. Log Deletion

B.

Nope nothing. I looked at all the caches I've found, looked on the map to try and find which one had been taken and can't find it so I'm not sure.

There might be one cache retracted (ie: it's vanished from the database). Found logs on retracted cache are gone as well. Afaik without email notification.

Hans

This is not a true statement. Your found it log is preserved on a retracted cache.

A more likely possibility for the OP's drop in find count is a double-logging of this cache. I see from the archived logs that a second log was deleted. As noted above, the OP should have received an email notification about the deletion.

There might be one cache retracted (ie: it's vanished from the database). Found logs on retracted cache are gone as well. Afaik without email notification.

Hans

This is not a true statement. Your found it log is preserved on a retracted cache.

A more likely possibility for the OP's drop in find count is a double-logging of this cache. I see from the archived logs that a second log was deleted. As noted above, the OP should have received an email notification about the deletion.

Yes I was having issues with my cell service at a cache and noticed afterwards that my log of that cache was duplicated so I did delete one of the logs, would that have been the one I am missing? I didn't think your log count would go up if you logged a cache more than once.

I didn't think your log count would go up if you logged a cache more than once.

It does. It counts the number of Found It logs, and not the number of caches you've logged with a find (or six). :)

You can use http://project-gc.com/Profile/FindBadLogs to find duplicate logs (or Found It logs on your own caches). You have to authenticate (connect your session with your Geocaching ID), and then off you go!

Speaking to retraction. Your find count remains. You can see your log from the link Logs > Geocaches > Found it

You do get the cache page gpx and your log in a MyFinds gpx. You can't see the cache on Geocaching.com.

To get a notification of retraction, you'd need to that notification set up. And of course, not just once, but once for each type of cache ;-)

I get notifications of retractions on a couple of types, just for the heck of it ;-)

4.12. Log Deletion

B.

Nope nothing. I looked at all the caches I've found, looked on the map to try and find which one had been taken and can't find it so I'm not sure.

You need to make sure that emails from Groundspeak are not sent to your spam folder.

Do you receive emails for the cache you own?

B.

4.12. Log Deletion

B.

You need to make sure that emails from Groundspeak are not sent to your spam folder.

Do you receive emails for the cache you own?

B.

Yes I do get notifications on my own cache.