The most caches

eowynk

Hi i am new to geocashing with only 29 finds so far. i am really getting into it and wondered if there was some sort of geocashing leader board or something. i have abit f a competitive streak and am competing with my sister on number of cashes found. i just wondered if this kind of thing exists in the geocashing world.

If you're feeling competitive, maybe try to have the highest difficulty- and terrain averages of anyone you know. Even getting - and keeping - them both above 3 (out of 5) doesn't sound that hard. Go ahead, try it.

That is actually not too hard to do. You just avoid events and anything below 3/3 like the plague. I would never do that, but I have met someone who does. You need to get a kayak and some rock climbing equipment. Even then you will have a low find count.

Edited by Zepp914

If you're feeling competitive, maybe try to have the highest difficulty- and terrain averages of anyone you know. Even getting - and keeping - them both above 3 (out of 5) doesn't sound that hard. Go ahead, try it.

That is actually not too hard to do. You just avoid events and anything below 3/3 like the plague. I would never do that, but I have met someone who does. You need to get a kayak and some rock climbing equipment. Even then you will have a low find count.

I did a bit of stat collecting the other day that I was going to use in other post but it might be worth mentioning here. Someone, that lives in an area with nearly 11,000 caches within 30 miles was claiming that there were a lot more caches today for those that preferred high difficulty/high terrain hides. Of course, no every geocacher has the luxury of having over 10,000 caches within 30 miles (some are lucky to have 10) available. So I did a search for a few different cities to get an idea for what percentage of caches had a terrain rating of 3 or higher. Of the 8 cities I checked (mostly larger urban areas) the percentage of caches with a T rating 3 or higher ranged from about 10-14%. I suppose that I could collect a lot more data points but, I suspect that the percentages are going to be similar for many areas, which means that if one avoids caches with less than a T3 rating, they could expect to find about 85% few caches than if they were not selective.

Looking at some raw numbers, for one city there were about 1200 caches within 30 miles and 107 with a T rating of 3 or higher, while the area with nearly 11,000 caches within 30 miles had over 1500 caches with a T3 or higher rating. For someone living in a cache dense area, having 1500 caches to find is going to keep them busy for awhile, but for someone that doesn't have that luxury, being selective could quickly lead to finding every cache which meets their preference within a year.

Hi All,

I was going to ask a similar but different question - are there lists for the people with the most number of caches from different countries? My very modest 52 caches are from 12 different countries, so I wanted to know what I've got to aim for!

There is thread called "Country Collectors" in this forum section where a bunch of cachers that enjoy finding caches in different countries hang out and talk about this sort of thing. There are a couple of regulars with finds in over 50 countries. According to project-gc, there is a geocacher from Germany which has posted logs for caches in 121 countries. His handle would lead one to believe that he's a a pilot. I've only got 21 and although I travel 3-4 times a year for the past couple of years I seem to be going back to the same countries. There's a good chance I'll get one in Cuba in the Spring though.

Hi All,

I was going to ask a similar but different question - are there lists for the people with the most number of caches from different countries? My very modest 52 caches are from 12 different countries, so I wanted to know what I've got to aim for!

There is thread called "Country Collectors" in this forum section where a bunch of cachers that enjoy finding caches in different countries hang out and talk about this sort of thing. There are a couple of regulars with finds in over 50 countries. According to project-gc, there is a geocacher from Germany which has posted logs for caches in 121 countries. His handle would lead one to believe that he's a a pilot. I've only got 21 and although I travel 3-4 times a year for the past couple of years I seem to be going back to the same countries. There's a good chance I'll get one in Cuba in the Spring though.

NYPaddleCacher--If you go to Cuba, I hope you'll post about your travel there. I really want to go there now that it's opening up, and would really like to hear about your adventure. Will be looking for a cruise sometime in the next year or so.