NY/NJ Geocache Picnic - Saturday 5/18

briansnat

We snoozed and it turns out that the sheltered pavillion at Silas Condict Park is reserved pretty much through the summer. There are several group areas there that can be reserved, but I scouted them out and they were OK, but very open and not my idea of a great picnic spot. There are also a number of other picnic areas that don't require a permit. They are on first come-first serve basis. I scouted several very nice areas and found one that was especially scenic and had room for 20-30 (or more if we used a nearby site). As a positive, there is no cost and if its a rainout, nobody loses money.

If this sounds good, I will post an event cache this week, as soon as I call the parks commission and make sure of the rules.

There are grills available. We can discuss who will bring what food once I post the event and we find out how many are attending

It's better this way as no one was to shell out cash and have to collect it! We could hang a tarp if it does rain, for those who are afraid of the rain. Then we just need a large ice box and some charcole. Then if everone brings a little more food and drink than they can eat we'll have enough for those who didn't bring anything.

OUTSTANDING!!

If it does look like rain I can bring a 10' X 20' pavilion. It takes about 15 mins. to set up. This way we can at least have a dry place for food and stuff.

icon_biggrin.gif

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

39478_400.jpg

OUTSTANDING!!

If it does look like rain I can bring a 10' X 20' pavilion. It takes about 15 mins. to set up. This way we can at least have a dry place for food and stuff.

icon_biggrin.gif

39478_400.jpg

Thanks for doing the work, Brian.

Right now I don't know if I can make this.

But please pencil in the late afternoon / early evening for a possible Part II on July 27. Look for a special event post at the beginning of July.

I visited the picnic spot when I went to Feargus II on Saturday and it is a nice location off by itself. I believe we will need to spread out to some of the surrounding tables. It is looking like jungle green and I will make it to this event. If so jungle green will be making some macaroni salad to bring.

I saw a number of dogs and they were all leashed so it is definitely dog friendly.

quote:
Originally posted by Harrald:

Will I be able to get a wheelchair there?

The site is right off the end of the parking lot with gravel trails to Brian's area. It is a short distance (maybe 100 feet) but pushing a wheel chair over gravel may not work to well.

Checking the weather this morning it looks as if a light rain is on the way for the picnic. I'll be bringing the pavilion for sure now. It's 10' X 20'. I'll bring the sides too since it may be a bit windy. I've had a party with two of these together for 30 people with room to spare. 20 or so will fit in here fine. Is there a place near the area that we can fly a tarp for the grill?

I'm an old pro with parties in the rain and snow. Nothing gets in the way of fun!!

icon_biggrin.gif

Checking the weather this morning it looks as if a light rain is on the way for the picnic. I'll be bringing the pavilion for sure now. It's 10' X 20'. I'll bring the sides too since it may be a bit windy. I've had a party with two of these together for 30 people with room to spare. 20 or so will fit in here fine. Is there a place near the area that we can fly a tarp for the grill?

I'm an old pro with parties in the rain and snow. Nothing gets in the way of fun!!

icon_biggrin.gif