50 State Traveler (GC4241) Discussion

With all of the back and forth going on in the logbook of GC4241, I thought I'd start up an actual discussion page for this cache. It just makes sense to have a forum for the cache so there's one place for people to go to get information about the cache. It seems that the same 3 or 4 things come up a few times a year.

Here are the "rules" from the cache page itself:

1. Please DO NOT remove the cache from its present site unless you can move it to another state (or get it into a HEAVILY TRAVELED cache near a state border). You can log it as a find but please do not move it unless you can do this.

Please DO NOT remove any state objects from it.

PLEASE DO NOT TRADE ANY STATE OBJECTS OUT OF THIS CACHE. THE GOAL IS TO ACCUMULATE STATE OBJECTS.

Remember, You can put it IN a cache or hide it as a SEPERATE CACHE on it's own. (But you must email me or no-one else will find it!)

2. If you intend to grab it & move it, please try to post to this site & to its Travel Bug Page.

24 hrs in advance so others don't go on wild goose hunts or report that it's missing.

3. If you grab it, YOU TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR IT! Please see that it is treated kindly & redeposited swiftly.

4. Do not pick it up unless you can redeposit it out of state fairly quickly.

5. You MUST IMMEDIATELY after replacing the TB/Cache in a new location,log on & post the new coordinates here as well as emailing me with the info.

I've also registered this as a Travel Bug so please post the new coordinates here as well:

IT IS VITALLY IMPORTANT THAT YOU POST THE NEW COORDINATES RIGHT AFTER YOU REHIDE THE CACHE & EMAIL ME SO I CAN CHANGE THE CO-ORDS ON THE HEADER OF THE CACHE PAGE!!!

If you can't do this, please do not retrieve the cache!

Please feel free to decorate the cache as well! Sign it w/a sharpie, sticker it, attach things to it, etc. Just don't damage the Travel Bug Tag or the structure of the cache container.

** VIP *** VIP *** VIP *** VIP *** VIP *** VIP *** VIP *** VIP ***

* Do not crank the lid so tight that someone else can't open it. Just snug it! * Turn lightly till some initial resistance is felt, then turn about 1/2 turn more. ** There will be about two threads still showing when it is tight enough. **

** VIP *** VIP *** VIP *** VIP *** VIP *** VIP *** VIP *** VIP ***

Remember, the idea of this cache is to hit all 50 states, accumulating a goodie from each state along the way. When someone finds the cache with a few state specific items in it, please contact me, I will photograph & post photos of the contents then use the entire collection of goodies as a prize in a difficult cache. I'd like to keep the log so please take care of it.

Edited by Tubatad

Here is a post from the Cache Owner from July 8, 2015

Ok guys, here it is, as simple as I can make it -

I've fought long and hard to keep this in play.

I've had to battle reviewers who say it shouldn't go to events because that makes it a pocket cache.

I've had to get special dispensation from GeoCaching itself to accept it as grandfathered so that it CAN travel to events. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean the privilege should be abused. The long and short of it is that I am starting to get really annoyed at:

1. The people that think they know the geocaching rules regarding this cache and continue to quote them. My cache. Everything that's being done with it has been approved by GeoCaching. It's been in play for longer than some cachers have been alive. Why do you think that is?

And

2. Conversely, the people that are flaunting the rules or really being selfish about the way this cache is being passed around.

Anyone that has an issue - how about you read the guidelines I've established?

For those that are crabbing about the "24 hour rule", it actually reads thus:" If you intend to grab it & move it, please try to post to this site & to it's Travel Bug Page 24 hrs in advance so others don't go on wild goose hunts or report that it's missing."

I don't know about you, but I see the word "try". Not "must".

Additionally, the idea of this cache is to travel. That's what it does. If you miss it, sorry. But that's the nature of a traveling cache. Whatever happened to the fun is in the hunt?

I think that should cover both sides of the argument.

Any posts not directly related to the hunting, finding or moving of this cache will be deleted.

Finally, if all this nonsense doesn't stop - I will simply archive this.

Anyone has a problem with this, go find another cache.

Ps - DNF logs are not being removed. Self proclaimed "Cache Police" logs from people telling me how this cache should be administered are.

That log is exactly what I've been screaming at my email this whole time! I hate that the cache page is becoming a discussion forum, and I hate that people think they can bully in and tell others how to play the game.

I actually sent Crusso an email asking if there was a forum for this cache. I feel that linking a forum in the description MAY reduce the amount of 'notes' in the cache logs.

My 2¢: if you aren't a lackey, a reviewer, or the cache owner - keep to yourself about 'don't do this' and 'shoulda done that'

Edited by MikeAndJuli

Cerberus: Imagine what the cache page that needs this forum looks like! Crusso does a good job of deleting the unnecesary notes from the cache page - but it gets ridiculous, especially when the self-proclaimed geo-police get on a rant.

Honestly, if we are to keep that cache page itself from becoming a forum - this is the best option.

Cerberus: Imagine what the cache page that needs this forum looks like! Crusso does a good job of deleting the unnecesary notes from the cache page - but it gets ridiculous, especially when the self-proclaimed geo-police get on a rant.

Honestly, if we are to keep that cache page itself from becoming a forum - this is the best option.

I have this one and a couple dozen others on watch, so know what the cache pages look like.

- Kinda indentical to the one that was in the same spot just a few weeks ago.

The "Me!" crowd strikes again...

My apologies for the four letter H-word. Post will be edited post-haste

No worries :) I understand the need to get the conversation off the Listing page that isn't directly related to the movement of the cache, and I didn't want to see the thread locked. I don't think you'll be able to keep people from chiming in here that don't really have any business concerning the cache in question, so you might want to kind of let go of the notion that there's going to be some sort of Riobert's Rules of Order going on here.

One suggestion is someone might want to have the CO add a link in the Description to this thread, so the Listing page doesn't continue to get cluttered with non cache business.

Good luck with the cache.

Wow, this just sounds like a minefield for anyone who wants to log it or move it. Why bother?

I saw a Facebook discussion where someone who moved a traveling cache was called "selfish" by some, because by moving it the locals missed out on the opportunity to find it. It was on their "to do" list, then suddenly it was gone and they were pissed. Sorry, but when you go after a traveling cache there is always a good chance that it will no longer be there.

I recall a few were the CO asked that you build a tepee of sticks, or a cairn of rocks at the location if you took it, so others knew right away it was gone. Of course some actually logged the pile of sticks or rocks as a "find".

I've had to battle reviewers who say it shouldn't go to events because that makes it a pocket cache.

I'm with those reviewers. I never got this. I've heard of traveling caches sitting on a table at an event for people to log. I always thought geocaching was about going out to find things, not have people bring them to you so you can log them. If you are dead set on bringing it to an event, then why not hide it a short distance from the event and make people use their GPS to find it? You know, that game called geocaching.

Edited by briansnat

Is this "discussion group" on moving caches in general, or only this one?

If only this one, imagine what the forums would look like if every cache that had issues had their own "discussion group".

The subject of this thread is "50 State Traveler (GC4241) Discussion This is a discussion group for the moving cache 50 State Traveler". I think that answers your first question. As to your second question...this isn't "every cache". This is one particular cache that is apparently subject to a bit more drama than most and some locals wisely decided to take the discussion here. Seems like a good idea to me.

I saw a Facebook discussion where someone who moved a traveling cache was called "selfish" by some, because by moving it the locals missed out on the opportunity to find it. It was on their "to do" list, then suddenly it was gone and they were pissed. Sorry, but when you go after a traveling cache there is always a good chance that it will no longer be there.

Actually, that was also posted here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=332936

Actually, that was also posted here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=332936

Hey, I remember that thread! Funny, everybody was happy with me once somebody else picked up that cache a day later. Now everybody is mad at them. Gotta love geo-drama.

Additionally, I recently found the cache mentioned in the OP as well. It appears NJ has been overcome with some traveling cache fever lately. I really don't see what all of the hoopla is about. Other than the fact that they're not allowed anymore, it's just another cache.

Is this "discussion group" on moving caches in general, or only this one?

If only this one, imagine what the forums would look like if every cache that had issues had their own "discussion group".

The subject of this thread is "50 State Traveler (GC4241) Discussion This is a discussion group for the moving cache 50 State Traveler". I think that answers your first question. As to your second question...this isn't "every cache". This is one particular cache that is apparently subject to a bit more drama than most and some locals wisely decided to take the discussion here. Seems like a good idea to me.

+1

It appears that someone is a really nasty person ! I know the cacher who moved this cache from Berks county a great guy we have some caches near each other in a park and in the last few days a couple of his have been destroyed !! I checked on mine and my wifes and they are ok for now I'm hoping this is random muggles but it is strange that just his are being targeted Remember it's just a GAME