Finding a hide spot is pretty frustrating.

Astrologian

There would be plenty of good spots if it weren't for landowner permission, which I respect. Please tell me I'm wrong, but it appears the only place to hide a cache is in a small public park (which is actually owned and operated by the county, township, or city it's in) or in the middle of the woods somewhere (which is probably owned by someone or some controlling authority anyway). So when attempting to get permission from anyone or any controlling authority, them having never heard of geocaching before and even after explaining and demonstrating, will abruptly deny permission, simply because of liability. Please tell me I'm wrong, because at this point, I don't see anywhere I can hide a geocache without ignoring or never receiving permission. Thanks.

Edited by Astrologian

There would be plenty of good spots if it weren't for landowner permission, which I respect. Please tell me I'm wrong, but it appears the only place to hide a cache is in a small public park (which is actually owned and operated by the county, township, or city it's in) or in the middle of the woods somewhere (which is probably owned by someone or some controlling authority anyway). So when attempting to get permission from anyone or any controlling authority, them having never heard of geocaching before and even after explaining and demonstrating, will abruptly deny permission, simply because of liability. Please tell me I'm wrong, because at this point, I don't see anywhere I can hide a geocache without ignoring or never receiving permission. Thanks.

I just checked your one find that is still active. The Reviewer for that one was Keystone, an active forum participant.

Check out his profile page, where he gives advice about hiding caches, and hiding caches in Pennsyvania in particular. *hoping that information is current*

Another suggestion is to find more caches. This will give you an idea of where others have successfully placed caches.

Another suggestion I think might help you a lot is to meet other local cachers. Go to some events, and let the folks know that you would like to get into hiding caches, and ask for their advice.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Around here, a number of parks and open space districts actually have geocaching policies. As long as your cache complies with the applicable policy, it has permission.

But these policies didn't just appear. A lot of local geocachers worked with the parks departments and open space districts to draft policies that would address land managers' concerns, without overly hindering cache owners' efforts.

Another suggestion I think might help you a lot is to meet other local cachers. Go to some events, and let the folks know that you would like to get into hiding caches, and ask for their advice.

I agree.

An event could get you valuable info on the areas you're interested in to hide, and help with the other issues you're curious about.

I'd bet most folks would be happy to help. :)

Would public property where people are expected and encouraged to gather constitute as a legal hiding place with no prior permission required?

Not neccessarily.

Though a park or other "public property" may allow others to ride, swim, what-have-you, there may still be a policy with their parks and recreation concerning geocaching.

Would public property where people are expected and encouraged to gather constitute as a legal hiding place with no prior permission required?

Not neccessarily.

Though a park or other "public property" may allow others to ride, swim, what-have-you, there may still be a policy with their parks and recreation concerning geocaching.

If no previously written policy allowing or disallowing geocaching?

Not neccessarily.

If no previously written policy allowing or disallowing geocaching?

I'll side with the "Frisbee rule" people. If no one would raise an eyebrow if you played Frisbee somewhere, and there was no anti-caching rule, then you have "implied permission."

Well in that case, then I'll just put the dang thing in my front yard, take that landowners! But for real, there are a number of caches in a public park in my town and nowhere on the description for any of those does it say they received permission and I am guessing my small town doesn't have a policy for or against geocaching. So this leaves me confused. Are all those caches considered against the regulations? Or is it the frisbee rule type of deal? Arghhh.

Edited by Astrologian

Well in that case, then I'll just put the dang thing in my front yard, take that landowners! But for real, there are a number of caches in a public park in my town and nowhere on the description for any of those does it say they received permission and I am guessing my small town doesn't have a policy for or against geocaching. So this leaves me confused. Are all those caches considered against the regulations? Or is it the frisbee rule type of deal? Arghhh.

Well, when you send in a cache page for review you check a box saying you have permission. So it really doesn't matter what's on the cache page. Maybe the reviewer was even emailed a copy of an official permission form. That's for the to worry about, not us.

And you're asking about caches most of us probably know nothing about. They may have gotten permission. They may be going by the Frisbee rule. Heck, the may not even care about permission at all.

How to find out about those caches? Follow my advice in the very first reply.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Posting that you received permission to hide a cache is not required to be on your cache page and many (most) owners do not include that information.

Do you have a state park near you? There are exceptions, of course, but many state parks are very supportive of geocaching and if you have a good state geocaching association, they will have already worked with your state parks to smooth out any wrinkles. County parks are also usually very receptive to geocaching and are usually large enough to support a good number of them. City parks tend to be smaller so one geocache can saturate the park and leave no room for another. Otherwise, look for walking/biking/hiking trails near you. Those are also very popular places to put geocaches.

Posting that you received permission to hide a cache is not required to be on your cache page and many (most) owners do not include that information.

Do you have a state park near you? There are exceptions, of course, but many state parks are very supportive of geocaching and if you have a good state geocaching association, they will have already worked with your state parks to smooth out any wrinkles. County parks are also usually very receptive to geocaching and are usually large enough to support a good number of them. City parks tend to be smaller so one geocache can saturate the park and leave no room for another. Otherwise, look for walking/biking/hiking trails near you. Those are also very popular places to put geocaches.

I would imagine I would still need someone's permission for county parks, city parks, and any type of trails.

Edited by Astrologian

I would imagine I would still need someone's permission for county parks, city parks, and any type of trails.

Yes, you will still need permission. However, when you start getting up into the larger county and state parks, they may already have a geocaching policy in place. In those cases, "permission" is usually implied as long as you follow their policy for hiding caches.

For something smaller like a city park, I would speak with the cities Park/Recreation director, as he/she would be the person who has the authority to say yes or no.

Around here, a number of parks and open space districts actually have geocaching policies. As long as your cache complies with the applicable policy, it has permission.

But these policies didn't just appear. A lot of local geocachers worked with the parks departments and open space districts to draft policies that would address land managers' concerns, without overly hindering cache owners' efforts.

True but not all the reviewers know the park policies when reviewing them. And the park rangers will remove the cache without notice if they don't comply. This confuses the CO because they will think it got muggled and just replace the cache over again. This is why I wish our parks had a permit policy so the rangers know where the cache is and how to contact the CO if there is an issue.