Archieved Caches

Well apparently they've taken another step to completely hide archived caches.

Try this:

http://coord.info/GCxxxxx

Replacing it with the actual GC code.

For some reason, GS doesn't want people to know when an area has a bad history of caches, I guess so people keep going back out and hiding troublesome caches. Sometimes you just have a park or neighborhood that isn't cache compatible. This issue has come up many times.

How can I search for Archieved caches now? I sometimes need to check information for a Challenge. When I enter the GC number in Search area it only shows nearby active caches. Thanks

Enter the GC Code in the search box on the Geocaching.com homepage and the archived listing should come right up.

Or, just go to the new search page. Enter the GC code of the archived cache. The field will then ask if you want all of the caches around that GC code (which will not include the archived cache), or just to view that single cache. In the latter case, it will show it to you whether it is archived or not.

I didn't realized that you had implemented that yet. It seems to work well. BTW, you've got a period at the end of that link which will produce a error. This should work:

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search

Or just use the old page. http://geocaching.com/seek and search the GC code or the owner (if you know).

Personally, I think that if the new search works correctly for they type of search someone is asking for we should recommend that. The old page isn't going to be around forever so the sooner users can work with it the better.

I guess mentioning both and leaving the option to choose is the best way.

The output that the new search delivers is horrible (much too large and a lot of wasted space). So in my opinion every avoided use of the new search is a win situation (avoided annoyance).

By the way to the OP, my preferred way of looking for archived caches is using project-gc (and a local site for local caches).

Edited by cezanne

Or just use the old page. http://geocaching.com/seek and search the GC code or the owner (if you know).

Personally, I think that if the new search works correctly for they type of search someone is asking for we should recommend that. The old page isn't going to be around forever so the sooner users can work with it the better.

The output that the new search delivers is horrible (much too large and a lot of wasted space). So in my opinion every avoided use of the new search is a win situation (avoided annoyance).

By the way to the OP, my preferred way of looking for archived caches is using project-gc (and a local site for local caches).

The old search page provides at least one functionality I cannot get on the new one (I can find all caches of a CO, even the archived ones).

I totally disagree that mentioning both is the "best" way. Like it or not, the new search mechanism is going to be the GS search engine of the future and boycotting it is not going to change that. Although the new search engine has issues, GS *has* been improving it in direct response to our feedback, and at some point they're going to turn off the switch old search engine, so we might as well get used to it.

Although, I think how the output *looks* is totally subjective, that's an area for potential improvement, and the more people that use the new search the more testing it's going to get, and the greater likelihood that the final product will be better.

The old search page provides at least one functionality I cannot get on the new one (I can find all caches of a CO, even the archived ones).

This has been pointed out several times since the new search came out. There are so many threads about the new search that I doubt that I'd ever be able to find it but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a URL that one of the lackeys posted that, using an argument in the request URL, one could get a list of caches hidden by a specific user (or users). I don't know if that includes archived caches but the fact that the new search was able to return a list of caches owned by a specified user would indicate that the backend code already works and it's just a matter of adding a form element to the Filters page to pass the necessary argument to the form.

This has been pointed out several times since the new search came out. There are so many threads about the new search that I doubt that I'd ever be able to find it but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a URL that one of the lackeys posted that, using an argument in the request URL, one could get a list of caches hidden by a specific user (or users). I don't know if that includes archived caches but the fact that the new search was able to return a list of caches owned by a specified user would indicate that the backend code already works and it's just a matter of adding a form element to the Filters page to pass the necessary argument to the form.

To be honest, the old interface just works, so I'm using it. If it ever disappear, I'll try to figure out another way.

At the moment, you can search by owner in the new interface, but the results do not include the archived caches. Maybe there's a way to fiddle with the URL to get them, but I don't have time for that.

The best way to find archived caches THET YOU'VE FOUND is to run the myfinds pocket query. That contains all your finds and if imported in a database program like GSAK you can filter all you want.

I keep an updated database of Belgium in GSAK with all unfound caches, then there's a database with my founds that has all collected info + WPs of these caches and I also keep a database with all Belgian archived caches. This was very handy for a mystery we solved for which we needed information from the listing of an archived cache.

This thread has strayed a bit into the area of the best search page. I've been using Boulter's tool: Geocaching Quick Search for over a decade and still consider it the easiest and best tool. It will find an archived cache if you enter the GC#. I don't use either the new or old gc.com tool. The original poster doesn't specify exactly what he's trying to find. If it is caches he's already found to see if he qualifies for a challenge, then many here have answered how to do that: MyFinds PQ, or use the Project-gc challenge checker or one of the GSAK macros challenge checkers. Or if he has GSAK just use a filter. If it's for caches by a CO (but ones you haven't found) then go to that CO's profile page and look at all cache hides, Archived caches show up there. BTW, the word is archived, not archieved. I thought at first the OP was talking about achievements. I'm not sure what other reasons there could be for wanting to find archived caches but there may be other ways. For example, if you want to see if there have been caches placed in an area but are now archived in order to determine whether it is okay to hide a cache there, you can try posting the question on a local forum, emailing old-timers, or go to the profile pages of people you know have searched in the area for years and examine their past finds. That would be tedious, but it could work.